“Wonderful stay”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 29 March 2014

While getting to the hotel up a narrow, steep gravel road was a challenge, our stay was terrific. The room was clean, spacious and attractive with glass doors which opened to balcony overlooking the pool and the covered dining area. Breakfast buffet had eggs to order, gallo pinto (beans and rice), fresh fruit and fresh baked pastries. The staff was friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool also have a view of the Pacific in the distance.
1  Thank Phil N
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

I wish there was something we could do about that road! But I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay when you got here! Many thanks for your kind comments and observations. We hope we will see you again soon and that your vacation in Costa Rica was unforgettable! Warmest wishes!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

View from the hotel is to die for and the staff is very friendly and helpful. My best friend and I drove from Arenal and picked up coconuts on our drive here. One of the staff members, Gilberto, went out of his way to help us cut them open. Like I mentioned earlier, the hotel is beautiful, view is gorgeous and the staff is very helpful.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your kind comments. Gilberto is an awesome guy, really fun to be around and a great drink mixer! I am so glad you had a great stay and hope we will be seeing you again in the future. Warmest wishes from all of us at hotel California!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

When we were first looking to stay I was looking in Quepos. I am so glad I chose Hotel California which is located about 5 minutes out of Quepos. Hotel California sits on top of a small mountain with a great ocean view and always has a pleasant breeze. A much classier location than the Quepos area. The staff was excellent. Gilberto, Desseria, Jorge, Erik and the rest of the staff made the stay very comforting. The breakfast was great as was all food they served all day long. The shuttle bus stops right at the end on the entrance. Erik has a vast knowledge of the area and can set you up with what ever you want.

Thank you Hotel california for making my stay wonderful

Room Tip: book early and ask for top floor ocean view. I actually booked a day before and lucked out.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thanks for the great feedback regarding the staff here! We appreciate the positive comments and we share these with the employees so everyone sees them. You made some people smile with the mention of several specific people. It is our goal for you to feel at home, so I am glad that was your experience! Many thanks for your kind comments and warmest wishes from all of us here at Hotel California!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed here with a group of 17 travelers on a tour of Costa Rica. This was the best hotel we stayed at on our trip, and we loved it. The staff were wonderful, the place was beautiful, with breath-taking views. Our rooms were very clean and updated. Every day there is happy hour at the pool bar with 2 for 1 margaritas for $5. Dayleen makes amazing margaritas! The food was also great.

Breakfast was amazing, with fresh patries, made to order omeletes, etc. And, every morning we were there a large group of squirrel monkeys made their appearance in the trees by the pool.

We loved this place so much that my roommate and I extended our stay.

You really feel a part of nature at this place. Sunset was my favorite, because just before sunset the trees just come alive with all types of animal calls and sounds.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe room with a view (although, when we extended our stay and had to downgrade, the sta...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Daylin is pretty new to cocktail mixing, I am so glad to hear she is doing it well! I am really glad that you had a good experience and we all appreciate the thoughtful comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and we do hope we will see you again soon! Warmest wishes from all of us here at Hotel California!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Thanks Hotel California for making our trip to Costa Rica so comfortable! From the beautiful room to the delicious food and drinks - it was a home away from home. Everyone at the hotel treated us like VIPS...from the kind folks at reception who stored our luggage at check-in and at check-out, to Erik who arranged the mangrove boat trip to Gilberto at the pool side cafe who made us feel like old friends! In fact, I would return to this hotel just to see his smiling face again. May I suggest additional transparency with food/drink charges? Menus are in the local currency and the final bil in USD....and in one case, the server said she forgot to bring our change (about $10 on a $10 bill).

Room Tip: 3rd floor is the way to go!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

That is our goal, that you feel at home...So I am grateful to hear you say that your experience was the one we strive to offer! Many thanks for your thoughtful comments. I am sorry there was some confusion with your bill and will look into that. Again, many thanks, and we hope we will see you again! Warmest wishes and many thanks!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

With the name of this establishment parroting the popular Eagles song, I had some trepidation that it might be a tacky throwback to the 70s. But I was pleasantly surprised.

Located off a long driveway from the main road running through Quepos near Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica, the Hotel California features a sweeping view of the ocean--despite it being 4-5 kilometers away.

I noticed another guest was grateful that they were placed far away from the cats. An ardent animal lover, I was disappointed we weren't closer! But I still got some pats in, and more importantly, got to witness the daily visits by the local troupe of around 30 Titi monkeys who come for banana treats and will take them out of your hand. (But be still and silent for best results...)

The room we stayed in was top level with a vaulted ceiling and French doors that opened onto a balcony facing the ocean. Very nice!

Chief complaint: my wife didn't like the occasional sound from the water heater in our closet.

The staff was very friendly and helpful (Costa Ricans excel in this...) and the cabana by the pool was a great place to hang out in the heat and humidity.

Overall, a nice stay for the money.

Room Tip: Be prepared to walk to the bus or take a taxi. There isn't much in walking distance from this ho...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hotel California kept it's name when I bought it because I am a native Californian and my ancestors were native americans from California. Not much to do with the song, so I am really glad you did not let that put you off! We love our pets, glad you felt comfortable with them! So happy that you got to see monkeys as I know I really enjoy them, even after many years of seeing them daily! It never goes away, that fascination for monkeys! Warm wishes and many thanks for your kind words!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Ah…the Hotel California. We had no idea what to expect until our van scrambled up the short, steep lane from the main Quepos to Manuel Antonio road. This hotel fit us to a T – beautiful, unpretentious, and relaxed, with a staff that was both charming and attentive. We even had a welcoming tree frog waiting on our door frame. Even though we probably did not have the best-located room (low level near the pool), the view out over the lush, tropical foliage to the Pacific beyond was stunning. The room was spacious, bright, and airy with a tile floor, wood and tile accents, fridge, and roomy balcony. We felt more at home here than at any other hotel on our trip. Meals in the outdoor café by the pool were well-prepared and inexpensive, with the added benefits of toucan sightings and impromptu Spanish lessons from the mixologist extraordinaire, Gilberto, a man of infinite charm who, along with the reception staff, omelette maker, and servers made our stay truly memorable.

The short walk down the hill to take the local bus into Manuel Antonio Park takes a couple of minutes and was part of the local experience for us, but perhaps some would see it as an inconvenience. Yes, there are more polished, city-style hotels, but if you want to feel Costa Rica, come here. Thank you, Hotel California!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your kind comments! We are always happy here when people have a great vacation and allow us to be a part of it. And it is always wonderful when a monkey, frog or iguana plays personal host or hostess, that is the best! Warmest wishes and we hope to see you again! Gilberto is always there with a great cocktail in hand to sip as the sun sets!