“Excellent rooms, service, pool and cocktails!!”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed here during a round trip of Costa Rica. The rooms were lovely and clean, good air con and comfy beds. I also had the best cocktails (seriously,the best) ,made by Gilberto, the gorgeous bar man. The pool is hot and the service is excellent. I would reccomend staying here as it is in the middle of both towns, easliy accessable by the bus. Pura Vida.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

I am really glad you enjoyed your stay here! I am so happy to pass on the great comments to all the employees here, they love to hear good feedback about their work. I wish you the best in all your travels, have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed here as part of a group tour, but upon arriving I booked an extra 2 nights here because it was so nice! The hotel is very clean, and in a quiet location so it is very relaxing. The people who work here are so friendly and helpful! I ate in the restaurant every day and the food was so good and very reasonably priced. I also had a lot of drinks made for me by Gilberto, who is a great person to talk to! He answered all my questions about Costa Rica and gave me some advice on things to do and see. He genuinely loves his job and loves meeting and talking with people about their travels. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will definitely be coming back in the future!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Cheryl C

I am really glad you had such a great experience, and will be happy to pass on the nice review to the employees. They like to know that their hard work is appreciated. Gilberto is a very special guy and a fabulous bartender, I feel very lucky to have him here. We look forward to seeing you again and hope it is sooner rather than later! Warmest wishes!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed at Hotel California as part of a tour I was on. While the hotel is located up a steep hill, I liked the quieter location and getting into town is still very easy by bus. The best part of about this hotel is the view. The restaurant/bar is located right next to the pool and offers amazing sunset views over the ocean. Rooms are clean and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My trip through Costa Rica was awesome!!! One of the lowest points, however, was Hotel California. Rooms very bare, and there were bugs all over the place (even by Costa Rica standards). Also, the hotel is not in a convenient location. You must hike down a steep, rocky path to get to the bus stop, and then take the bus to either the beach or the town of Quepos. Staff was friendly, and the complimentary breakfast was minimal even though made-to-order eggs was available.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank williamk888
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The hotel was very clean. Our room was ready upon arrival. No problems. They have a small swimming pool, but the view from the bar/restaurant is spectacular. Beautiful tree tops, and it has a wonderful ocean view. Had a good time. Very friendly personnel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2014

As part of a Groupon package, Hotel California was our 2nd destination. We came from La Fortuna and after a hair raising drive we were very glad to arrive..

Just an FYI to anyone renting a car & getting a GPS, be sure to, go to "settings" "navigation" "avoidances"...& check "unpaved roads". It will save you about 3 hours and the fear of an oil pan being punctured on a very primitive road driving a Hundai Accent. The driveway is not paved & is quite steep. Don't be alarmed. You will be amazed at the view at the top of this road.

That being said we arrived very late but Herman was there to carry our bags & show us to our room. It was gorgeous. Glass doors that led to the balcony that had a view of the ocean and forest & overlooked the pool and dining area. The room was very spacious and the platform bed was comfortable. The staff was always friendly and helpful. Oscar, the morning chef, makes wonderful omlettes and know what he is doing. They have fresh made pastries and fruit also for breakfast. We ate one dinner there and it was excellent which was also prepared by Oscar.

Go to breakfast early and you may get to see the traffic on the Monkey Highway. While we were eating one morning I bet 100 spider monkeys used it. Be sure to take your camera to every meal. there is always something going on.

When my husband went to get our car he noticed the fender was about to fall off from our adventure down the mountain. After discussing this with the staff a young man offered to help do what he could to make sure it did not fall off while driving around town. Edgar was very knowlegable about what ventures were the best, for the time we had there.

LOVED the CATS.

Knowing Spanish would be helpful in Costa Rica but we got along just fine. There is a English~Spanish app for smart phones which worked like a charm with no need to have cell service to utilize. You will need your phone for the calculator.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CloENote
Reviewed 29 March 2014

While getting to the hotel up a narrow, steep gravel road was a challenge, our stay was terrific. The room was clean, spacious and attractive with glass doors which opened to balcony overlooking the pool and the covered dining area. Breakfast buffet had eggs to order, gallo pinto (beans and rice), fresh fruit and fresh baked pastries. The staff was friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool also have a view of the Pacific in the distance.