“Cute with great view and wild monkeys, but poor location”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Waupun, Wisconsin
“Cute with great view and wild monkeys, but poor location”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel California. It is super important to get a room with an ocean view. Majority do not. Our neatest surprise during our stay was getting to have breakfast with the white-faced monkeys. It only happened one of the 3 mornings here. We watched them swing tree to tree looking for and eating mangoes right next to our breakfast table! The food was pretty good, and happy hour specials were nice. The beds were awful and you can forget about water pressure to shower, but we tried to overlook these set backs to enjoy our vacation. Something you might not know when booking a room here is that a cab ride to the main beach by the Manuel Antonio Entrance is $10 but you can take a 5 minute walk down the road to the local bus stop and catch a ride (every 15 minutes) for less than $2 a couple. This worked well during the day but was not advised at night as the walk from the bus stop to the hotel is not well lit or traveled. Also, there are no restaurants nearby to walk to. Must take a cab or the bus.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I am really sorry you had a problem with the water pressure. I will look into the possibility of beefing up the delivery system. I am glad you had some great visitors for breakfast, the wildlife here is amazing, that is why I live here beside the hotel! The road is not ideal, but we are 200 meters away from the road noise which is a great buffer for those who want to get away from things. I appreciate your comments and wish you all the best on all your travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here w a tour group and found excellent clean rooms. Great hotel service too. Very attentive. Pretty dang close to town and the beach but I could lounge here all day. The best part is the pool, views and bar! Ask for Gilberto - sir can mix a cocktail!

Stayed June 2014
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments. I agree that Gilberto is a great bartender! Glad you had a great time and I wish you the best on all your travels.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed here during a round trip of Costa Rica. The rooms were lovely and clean, good air con and comfy beds. I also had the best cocktails (seriously,the best) ,made by Gilberto, the gorgeous bar man. The pool is hot and the service is excellent. I would reccomend staying here as it is in the middle of both towns, easliy accessable by the bus. Pura Vida.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I am really glad you enjoyed your stay here! I am so happy to pass on the great comments to all the employees here, they love to hear good feedback about their work. I wish you the best in all your travels, have a wonderful day!
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed here as part of a group tour, but upon arriving I booked an extra 2 nights here because it was so nice! The hotel is very clean, and in a quiet location so it is very relaxing. The people who work here are so friendly and helpful! I ate in the restaurant every day and the food was so good and very reasonably priced. I also had a lot of drinks made for me by Gilberto, who is a great person to talk to! He answered all my questions about Costa Rica and gave me some advice on things to do and see. He genuinely loves his job and loves meeting and talking with people about their travels. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will definitely be coming back in the future!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Cheryl C
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I am really glad you had such a great experience, and will be happy to pass on the nice review to the employees. They like to know that their hard work is appreciated. Gilberto is a very special guy and a fabulous bartender, I feel very lucky to have him here. We look forward to seeing you again and hope it is sooner rather than later! Warmest wishes!
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed at Hotel California as part of a tour I was on. While the hotel is located up a steep hill, I liked the quieter location and getting into town is still very easy by bus. The best part of about this hotel is the view. The restaurant/bar is located right next to the pool and offers amazing sunset views over the ocean. Rooms are clean and quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My trip through Costa Rica was awesome!!! One of the lowest points, however, was Hotel California. Rooms very bare, and there were bugs all over the place (even by Costa Rica standards). Also, the hotel is not in a convenient location. You must hike down a steep, rocky path to get to the bus stop, and then take the bus to either the beach or the town of Quepos. Staff was friendly, and the complimentary breakfast was minimal even though made-to-order eggs was available.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank williamk888
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The hotel was very clean. Our room was ready upon arrival. No problems. They have a small swimming pool, but the view from the bar/restaurant is spectacular. Beautiful tree tops, and it has a wonderful ocean view. Had a good time. Very friendly personnel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family