I have a lot of reviews to do for our 5 night trip to Manuel Antonio but I wanted to do this one first because we loved Makanda so much. We stayed two nights here, two nights at Arenas del Mar and one night in SJ. For us, an early 40s couple with no kids looking for a relaxing, beautiful, authentic, unpretentious but upscalish experience, Arenas del Mar didn't even come close (I'll be doing a review of that as well) and was a lot more expensive.
We had Villa #1 - it is a gorgeous, huge room with a kitchen, massive closet and great living area including a hammock and huge sliding doors that open to let the outside in. This villa doesn't have a balcony, but it does have an absolutely amazing (AMAZING) view. We talked to others who had monkeys on their balconies quite a lot so it's a trade off as this villa is a lot bigger than another we saw (#6) but we were happy with our choice. Oh - and the bed was super, super comfy.
Breakfast is brought to the room and is fresh and yummy (they could improve how they bring it so it's a bit hotter). The food at the poolside restaurant is excellent and only second to the fantastic drinks.
The whole poolside area is gorgeous. The infinity pool with the amazing view over the jungle and ocean was crazy cool. There's just little better than lounging around (or in!) the pool with a drink enjoying the sunset and the monkeys that come to play in the trees.
All the staff was excellent. The only slight blip we had was being told one tour would pick up at 10 but when I called at 9:10am for breakfast and checked on the time for the tour it was actually 9:30 causing a bit of a rush but it all worked out in the end.
It's hard to really convey the experience at Makanda but we really wished that we had spent all four nights in Manuel Antonio at Makanda and when we return wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio