After reading many reviews on this website we were expecting great things, however, from our arrival we were disappointed with every aspect of this hotel. There was absolutely NO WELCOME whatsoever. Our car left us at the gate and we were told by the guard to walk up to the reception to check in. Our room was well equipped and beautifully clean, but the 'wrap around' balcony as described in many guidebooks was in reality about 3ft from the window to a sheer drop and the garden chairs had to be moved out the way in order to open the French doors. The studios have a very well equipped kitchenette in which guests obviously cater for themselves. This means that 'living noises' carry quite a long way, not really creating the peaceful haven we were expecting. We were also rather pleased to have a CD player in the room, until next door started playing their music at full blast. There was seemingly no escape from noise. The pool was very nice but the area around it was constricted by a tented restaurant designed in ghastly colours of bright yellow green and purple (personal opinion) and that, together with the staff playing loud music for their own benefit all day, contributed to the general noise level. Obviously this was to cover up the construction noise which was apparently due to the owner of the hotel building their own house in the grounds. During our stay they were cutting granite for floors which started at 7.30am and stopped at around 5pm. After several complaints, which were handled very sympathetically by the Guest Liaision Officer over 2 days, we decided to check out a day early.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio