My girlfriend and I stayed at Makanda last March and had a wonderful time. We booked late so we had to change villas twice during our stay, but it was no big deal (the staff was real helpful with the move), but keep in mind that the distance between villas can be a bit of a long including the stairs. We stayed in villa 5, villa 8, and villa 1. Villa 5 was our favorite, although nearest to the gate it was still very quiet. It is set up high with a beautiful view of the Pacific. Monkeys and sloths joined us for breakfast nearly every morning and the wildlife was surely spectacular. Villa 8 was set lower than villa 5 but the view was as nice, a little less private as there is a studio connected below. Villa 1, may have had the nicest view, but is completely open air. It is connected to other studios and can get noisy if the other studios are filled and the occupants are talking. The bugs were not an issue, but when the lights are turned off, you can see all sorts of animals sitting in the rafters. It didn't bother me, but my girlfriend was concerned.
The hotel grounds are spectacular. The pool view is beautiful and the hotel staff was extremely helpful. We got some great dinner reccomendations (try Karolas, el gran escape, two of our favorites), but there are many other great restaurants. The food at the pool restaurant was also good. The beach is a hike and is not reccommended if you aren't in good shape. But you will be rewarded by the beautiful beach if you do make the hike. Make sure you go down at a low tide, there may not be much beach at high tide. There were hundreds of red crabs, neat caves, and some okay snorkeling.
We had to spend our last night at the Hotel Parador, which was a let down after Makanda. We have avoided that hotel every time we have gone back. Unfortunately, with our last minute planning, Makanda has been booked everytime we have returned to quepos, but we will definately be back at some point.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio