Makanda by the Sea
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
La Mansion Inn(Manuel Antonio)
View Hotel
Parador Resort and Spa(Manuel Antonio)
View Hotel
Mango Moon Villa(Manuel Antonio)
View Hotel
La Mariposa Hotel(Manuel Antonio)
  • Breakfast included
Los Altos Resort(Manuel Antonio)
View Hotel
Hotel Villas El Parque(Manuel Antonio)
Hotel Mandarina(Manuel Antonio)
View Hotel
All reviewsocean clubinfinity poolsunspot restaurantprivate beachpersonal paradisecosta ricaevery morningour honeymoongolf cartbottle of champagnepoolside restaurantthe main roadromantic getawaybreakfast is servedfront gateocean viewwalked down
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 April 2006

To whom it may concern,
This was the second time my wife and I stayed here. The first time was so nice that we decided to get married at Makanda by the Sea and bring twenty five guests. We rented the entire complex for the event which was approximately one week. On the night of our wedding, further into the evening of the reception, my brother's room was broken into while his girlfriend lay asleep. Many valuables were stolen and thank god she was not hurt or assaulted. This incident was reported to the attention of the management and owners who responded in, literally, in a laughing manner. The manager responded " That -----" to my brother!?! The lack of sympathy, understanding, or response to this matter was infuriating and to this day still is. As days, and now weeks, have gone by I, we, have sat by and waited patiently for some kind of update, response, or some kind of anything. Something to let us know this will be taken care of and will never happen again. The following day a police report was not filed, a beef up of security was not initiated, nothing. Three guards. One by the front gate two walkining the grounds like the previous evening of the crime. Nothing to allay the fears or concerns of our, their, guests. Take in stride you are in a foreign country they responded. What? Customer service? Basically, The place is for sale, what we discovered now, and it seems that Makanda has lost it's heart and soul. I have traveled throuout the world and all throught Costa Rica. I have slept in a tent in Costa Rica and I have stayed in five star hotels there. Theviery happens there and anywhere in the world, but the response and the continual response my family and I receive from Makanda is zero or almost no response. The excuse now is that the owners computer crashed and that is why she has not contacted us in two weeks. So anyway, for those who value safety, securety, and want to have a vacation where the hotel values the customer stay somewhere else like Si, COmo, No!, Parador, or Gaia. Anyone interested in more feel free to coment me. Good Luck

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business
34  Thank horseman222
Reviewed 16 March 2006

My husband and I just spent nine days in Costa Rica with the last three nights of our honeymoon at Makanda by the Sea. We were saving the best for last, and Makanda was everything we hoped for! We were in Villa 10 which was really perfect for us. We had monkeys in the trees right in front and to the sides of our balcony each morning, and they came onto our balcony twice. Our balcony had a gorgeous view of the ocean and the sunsets were beautiful! The hammock is a great touch! I liked the wrap-around couch, the little kitchen, the romantic bed with mosquito netting (there are really no mosquitoes though, since the bats eat them every night! you can see the bats flying around after the sun sets, very cool). The mini bar selections were nice, and it was helpful to have sunscreen in the minibar basket. Another nice touch! I loved the his and hers kimonos, too. I wouldn't normally mention this as it's so banal, but: I loved the coconut shampoo, soap, conditioner and body lotion! They were actually of good quality, whereas even at the Ritz Carlton hotels, you don't actually get what I would consider quality hair and bath products. I liked that Makanda actually has their own high quality, tropical themed products in the rooms. The fresh flower petals on the bed and in the bathrooms were pretty. It was also great that candles were provided (romantic touch). The breakfast was quite good: get the Banana Coconut French Toast! Yum! The people working at the pool restaurant and bar were so friendly and helpful! Rasta is great! He showed everyone the yellow birds' nest by the pool and told us about the history of the little bird family... cute! The gardens attached to the suites seem to be like romantic backdrops for the beds (at night you can turn on a light in the garden and it's right behind a huge glass window behind the bed)... more like a decorative touch than anything else. Clearly this is not a generic, standard luxury hotel. It is certainly a luxury hotel but it is distinctive and more memorable than something like a Ritz or an Intercontinental. It is so much more than a typical "beach honeymoon" kind of place. I would definitely come to the Makanda again and I highly recommend it for honeymooners (unless they are honeymooners looking for something really generic, and apparently some people prefer that). Pura Vida!

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank Momchelle
Reviewed 9 March 2006

My Husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at the Makanda I wanted to add our experience since It was so helpful to me when I was looking for a place to go.I will try and be as detailed as possible so you know exactly what to expect. We stayed 7 nights in villa #8 Absolutely beautiful room and view and the monkeys came almost every morning. The room had 2 queen sized beds and even though we would of preferred one king it was kinda nice having 2 beds to choose from. The couch and the beds were a little hard for my taste but were still comfy and the beautiful flowers they laid out on the bed looked like it took hours.The bathroom was beautiful and also had fresh flowers only downfall was there was no tub but if you dont usually take baths it is perfect with huge counter space and complimentary shampoo and even special cloths to wipe off your shoes. The kitchen had a fridge and toaster oven along with dishes,silverware and stove. The living room which is also where the beds are behind the couch which is super long, had one long wall of just doors that you can open all up and feel like you are outside or close a few or all depending on what you want. there is a small but large enough crack under the door that some small bugs can get through. It was not really a problem for us though we didnt get many bugs and after all it is in the jungle. The first night we slept outside on the hammock and not a single bug although on the 3rd night the biggest beetle i have ever seen was outside our door so we chose to sleep indoors the rest of the time. If you are planning a trip that would be a usa version of a 5 star hotel this is close but not it. If you are looking for the real relaxation of costa rica and authenticity this is the place you are looking for. Service at the restaurant can be slow but that is the way of life in costa rica everything is relaxed and not rushed it comes with the atmosphere and the experience of the place.The food is execellent at the hotel and the free breakfeast every morning is more than enough food we could never finish out plates. If you hate alot of steps you might want to avoid makanda all though it is worth it! there is alot of steps to each room. All the villas and studios are so completely different that it might even be worth it to try a few different rooms if you stay for more than a few days. We stayed the full week at the same hotel and same room because we just wanted to relax. alot of people move around from hotel to hotel since there is such a extreme varation of beauty here. I wish we could of seen more of the different areas but dont regret staying put since every time you travel to a different area you loose a day in transit. the roads are horrible here and just a few miles can take quite awhile. The staff were all very friendly and helpful! overall this is a wonderful place to stay and in the area it is one of the best places to stay at. Also a plus they dont allow children and no crowds. The saying of the country is Pura Vida which means pure life and this place is just that. One last thing though on the website it says large private garden it is just a little window behind the bed with some bushes and trees so definately dont go for the garden hehe we laughed when we saw it but the otherwise the place is exactly what the website describes.

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank Lilmeows
Reviewed 6 March 2006

We just got back from Makanda after spending 3 nights in Villa #1 and 2 in Villa #6. Both were nice, but I preferred #1. It is open-air, and I was a little leery, but it was wonderful. A few lizards (small) dined in the rafters, but they were cute. There were no bugs to speak of, and I didn'y even open my repellant even though mosquitoes love me. I found the staff very friendly, helpful and attentive. They got our breakfast order exactly right every time and it arrived promptly. The view from #1 was spectacular and it was very quiet except for the early morning wakeup call from the howling monkeys- otherworldly! #6 was a little less quiet because it is near the gate and there is a lot of foot traffic going by. The MA Park tour arranged by the hotel was very good. If we'd gone without a guide we wouldn't have seen most of the wildlife. The beaches inside the park are very nice. The hotel also arranged for us to go on the Titi canopy tour, which was excellent. The guides were very friendly and helpful and VERY safety conscious. Booking early is important or you won't get what you want in the way of accomodations.

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank leverhart
Reviewed 1 March 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at Makanda last March and had a wonderful time. We booked late so we had to change villas twice during our stay, but it was no big deal (the staff was real helpful with the move), but keep in mind that the distance between villas can be a bit of a long including the stairs. We stayed in villa 5, villa 8, and villa 1. Villa 5 was our favorite, although nearest to the gate it was still very quiet. It is set up high with a beautiful view of the Pacific. Monkeys and sloths joined us for breakfast nearly every morning and the wildlife was surely spectacular. Villa 8 was set lower than villa 5 but the view was as nice, a little less private as there is a studio connected below. Villa 1, may have had the nicest view, but is completely open air. It is connected to other studios and can get noisy if the other studios are filled and the occupants are talking. The bugs were not an issue, but when the lights are turned off, you can see all sorts of animals sitting in the rafters. It didn't bother me, but my girlfriend was concerned.

The hotel grounds are spectacular. The pool view is beautiful and the hotel staff was extremely helpful. We got some great dinner reccomendations (try Karolas, el gran escape, two of our favorites), but there are many other great restaurants. The food at the pool restaurant was also good. The beach is a hike and is not reccommended if you aren't in good shape. But you will be rewarded by the beautiful beach if you do make the hike. Make sure you go down at a low tide, there may not be much beach at high tide. There were hundreds of red crabs, neat caves, and some okay snorkeling.

We had to spend our last night at the Hotel Parador, which was a let down after Makanda. We have avoided that hotel every time we have gone back. Unfortunately, with our last minute planning, Makanda has been booked everytime we have returned to quepos, but we will definately be back at some point.

• Stayed: March 2005