My husband and I began our stay at Makanda the day after our wedding in another part of Costa Rica. Although we picked this place for a honeymoon stay sight unseen, we were very pleased. We were concerned to hear about what happened to the guests mentioned in another review, especially when we stayed there around the same time, but we had none of the same problems.
Entering the studio was a great way to begin our honeymoon. I think it was studio 2. The view was breathtaking and the flowers on the bed were a great touch. We had a fantastic time just enjoying the room during our first evening there, drinking champagne and sitting on the deck in the adorable bamboo-print bathrobes provided by the hotel.
The quality of the bath products (shampoo, lotion, etc.) was another great touch. They smelled fantastic and I would have bought full bottles of them if they had been sold in a gift shop. We also enjoyed the shaped towels and flowers that took a different pattern in our room each day.
The breakfasts delivered to our room each morning were a great way to start the day. You had a couple of choices for the meal and each one we tried was good. The hotel is beautiful and we saw lots of birds, sloths and monkeys. The restaurant was tasty and the infinity pool was fun to hang out in. We also loved the little private beach that was a short jungle hike down a hill from the hotel.
We enjoyed playing CDs in our room and weren't disturbed by any loud activity or music coming from any other studios or villas.
Our only complaint was that the hotel is far from any other restaurants or other activities -- but that is kind of how Manuel Antonio is set up. Most of the nice hotels are sort of isolated. It made things a bit more of a hassle when we wanted to explore but it wasn't that big a deal.
Next time we come to Costa Rica we'll probably go somewhere a little less touristy and with a lot more going on than Manual Antonio. But we came here because we wanted a romantic, honeymoon-type spot and this was definitely it.
It you are looking for a beautiful, romantic place to stay in Manual Antonio, I highly suggest this place. If you are looking for a diverse area with a lot going on around you, I suggest you look at other areas of the country.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makanda By the Sea is 12 acres of wildlife sanctuary, 100 meters above the ocean. Our fully equipped Villas and Studios are carefully placed in rainforest gardens with spectacular views of the sixty mile coastline. Hotel Makanda is the ideal location for guests wishing to experience “romance in nature”, dazzling sunset views and our personalized boutique hotel ambiance. Offering gourmet cuisine, first class service, and close to Manuel Antonio Park, Spas, Restaurants, Tours and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Makanda by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makanda By The Sea Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Makanda By The Sea Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio