Prana Rainforest Retreat
Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$147
Parador Resort and Spa(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$198
Bookit.com
La Mariposa Hotel(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$171
  • Breakfast included
Si Como No Resort & Wildlife Refuge(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$201
  • Breakfast included
Las Cascadas The Falls(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$136
Gaia Hotel & Reserve(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$280
Makanda by the Sea(Manuel Antonio)
US$367
US$356
Orbitz.com
Hotel Vela Bar(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$140
  • Breakfast included
Tulemar Resort(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$241
US$549
US$533
All reviewsprivate poolguest houseeach morningamazing breakfast every morningultimate hostsyoga deckriding horsespure magicthe local farmers marketfreshest ingredientsour honeymoonhowler monkeyspura vidamanuel antonio national parkcovered deckmoment you arrivecoffee machine
Reviewed 27 November 2013

In May of 2013 I began to search for the perfect honeymoon destination. I didn’t know where to start so I did what any guy in my situation would do….use Google. I had heard wonderful things about Costa Rica so I decided that was the location. After hours of research and many open Trip Advisor tabs, I somehow stumbled upon the Prana Rainforest Retreat. The pictures, website, and cost seemed too good to be true! However, it seemed odd that this paradise only had a fraction of the reviews the other resorts and hotels had. After all, I was planning my first international trip with my soon-to-be bride. But after reaching out to Mark and Jon, I was assured that this place truly was fantastic and booked a trip for seven days.

Upon arrival, Mark & Jon greeted us and insisted we settle in due to our day of travel. There is something you must understand about the Prana. It is exactly what my title of this review is: Paradise. Heaven. Perfect. Breathtaking. Intimate. Exquisite. Laura and I were blown away upon walking into the house(see my photos). The house is over 1400 square feet that features a king sized bed, private pool, a slew of windows, beautiful walk-in shower with a waterfall showerhead, a backyard that is the Manuel Antonio National Park, and much more. The house is the definition of privacy as well. Whether if you want to walk around in your birthday suit or without make-up for days, no one will be seeing you. It is completely secluded.

Something special about the Prana was the time Laura and I spent together while eating breakfast. We would wake up around 5:45am due to the beautiful sunrise (which was earlier than we would in the U.S.) and be treated to seeing a variety of wildlife including three types of monkeys, sloths, many species of colorful birds, and much more. Now on to the F-O-O-D! Jon. Mark. You two are wonderful chefs. Pura vida!!! Our lovely hosts would always ask what we liked to eat but we preferred to leave it in their hands. We highly suggest doing the same. Most of the food is grown on site or bought at the market so it as fresh and natural as can be.

Another note is the quality of service you’ll receive. Mark & Jon provided great advice & suggestions during our entire trip whether it was for dinner, adventures, shopping or whatever. One thing that was important to us was to relax for a few days but to also make the most of our time while we were in Costa Rica. The guys suggested great adventures to fill our week. We went zip-lining with Canopy Safari, hiking in the Rainmaker, horseback riding & whitewater rafting with Rafiki Saffari Lodge, and beached it up in the Manuel Antonio National Park after a private wildlife tour. Not to mention, they truly know the area and the people who work there. We were fortunate to meet managers of the top local restaurants or have the best tour guide(ask for Gama) when we visited the national park. They even helped us drive back to the San Jose airport thanks to their fantastic directions and easy to spot landmarks. Side note: Please allot about two and a half hours if you plan on renting a car and driving to/from the San Jose airport. It’s not a difficult drive as the roads are all paved. We managed renting a small economy car but will be renting an SUV the next time we visit.

The Prana also offers yoga sessions and a few different massage options. Make sure you do one of the two! We had an hour long massage and it was a nice way to start our trip to relieve our wedding planning stresses. The Prana has a hut-like building about 100 feet downstairs beside the guest house. It features a natural flowing waterfall and a couple of hammocks. Talk about relaxing.

Laura and I would like to sincerely thank the two of you for being so accommodating during our trip. You two truly made our honeymoon a dream come true. Not to mention, our trip has brought us a certain appreciation for the Costa Rican culture that we doubt we could have found in other destinations/resorts. We are certain that we will be making a return trip to CR in the future due to your hospitality and insight. I'd just like to say that it is so nice to know that we will always have friends in Costa Rica.

Simply put, stay at the Prana Rainforest Retreat if you are in the mood to be fully pampered and reach a level of relaxation known only to a few.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Weston G
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Without a doubt, Prana Rainforest Retreat was the highlight of our trip to Costa Rica! We stayed at 3 properties during our trip and fell in love with Prana!

The villa itself surpassed our expectations - the architecture and the grounds were stunning (with all the amenities of a 5 star resort.) My husband & I thoroughly enjoyed being immersed in the tropical rainforest. We woke up early every day to spot the monkey's and sloth's that so often visited us during breakfast.

Mark & John were the ultimate hosts! Every meal was fresh, inventive and delicious - highlighting local ingredients from their grounds or the local farmers market. (The food was so good, we added on 2 dinners during our 3 night stay.) We also enjoyed a couples massage and yoga with our professional hosts on the deck, with the sounds of nature and a nearby waterfall as our backdrop.

Mark & John truly created a peaceful oasis and an authentic experience for their guests! We can't thank them enough and can't wait to return!

With Love, The Evans (Chicago)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Evans356
Reviewed 20 August 2013

First of all, their website does not do their place justice. My jaw literally dropped when I walked into our suite. It was amazing. John and Mark have done a stellar job in putting their little piece of paradise together, and it is a piece of paradise.

Prana Rainforest Retreat sits on the edge of a national park, and when you look out from your bed, all you can see is untouched pristine rainforest with monkeys playing in the background.

I was there with my partner and we both left so refreshed and restored. Mark and John go out of their way to make you feel taken care of. They make the most amazing breakfast ever.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank blueosa
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I can say without a shred of doubt that Mark and Jon have created something truly special with Prana Rainforest Retreat. The warmth, heart, and soul of the property, the rainforest, and the two fantastic hosts all compliment and enhance each other perfectly!

After much research I had narrowed things down to Prana or one 5 star hotel in Manuel Antonio. My wife and I were traveling for our 10th anniversary, and both enjoy getting to out of the way places where we can enjoy some privacy and relaxation without having to deal with big crowds. At first, I was a little concerned with the relative lack of reviews and feedback about Prana on the web, but my concerns were quickly alleviated once I started an email conversation with Mark. He was extremely helpful and thoughtful in his responses to my questions and I knew pretty quickly that Prana seemed like the best choice for the two of us.

Upon arrival I quickly realized that I couldn't have been more right! We were greeted by Mark and Jon and given a tour of our accommodations... The guest house is amazing! A huge living room and bedroom both look right out into the rainforest through floor to ceiling windows and screens. The Shower (huge rainfall shower with sliding door opening to pool), dressing area, mini kitchen, and bathroom are also basically perfect and very well laid out. Both the bedroom and shower opened up to our own private pool with lounge chairs and a built in Bali bed hanging over one edge of the pool. The grounds are also beautiful and the private yoga pavilion set next to a waterfall is equally great and a perfect place for yoga, massage, or morning exercises and relaxation.

Waking up every morning with the rising of the sun and the sound of howler monkeys put a smile on my face every day. Falling asleep each night to the sounds of a rainstorm and frogs in the pool was equally great.

I typically like to go to a place once, check it off the vacation list, and then not prioritize a return trip. Prana is now 1 of 2 places that I know I have to get back to in the near future.

Thanks again Mark and Jon! Until next time!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013

this is a bit overdue but needed to take a moment to write a review of Prana Rainforest Retreat. i searched for hours night after night looking for what i had in mind for our trip to costa rica. we wanted our own place with privacy but we also wanted some services Then we found Prana - sounded perfect.... and it was!!!!!

the home we stayed in was beautiful. windows everywhere, views of the jungle, really no reason to leave. complete privacy.. who needs a bathing suit when you have your own pool. and amazing hosts. mark and jon provided great advise when needed, amazing daily massages at whatever time we wanted, a private yoga class and the FOOD... THE FOOD. I regret every bite we didn't finish. Breakfast was an amazing way to start each day. We had a few meals in town which were ok but when there is food like this at home why go out. we had one dinner in our house where the meal was delivered and set up in our dinning room. our last night we had a special birthday dinner for my partner where we were served each meal and our wine glass never emptied. these meals were the best of our trip. to be honest i wish we had more diners in and not wasted our time and money trying to get a good meal elsewhere. Mark also provided homemade products. Natural mouth wash that was amazing, aloe cream for my sun burn, and drops for swimmers ear when my partner needed it. want to treat yourself to your own private retreat with all the add-ons you could want.... Prana Rainforest Retreat.. look no further.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple