“HEAVEN ON EARTH”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio
Prana Rainforest Retreat
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
cape may nj
“HEAVEN ON EARTH”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We spent 8 nights at Prana and truly we were in heaven. The grounds and the décor for starts were stunning. The bed was extremely comfortable, I slept better then I do at home. The view outside, from the bed alone is breathtaking. The private pool, massages daily, and perfect breakfasts were all part of our daily encounters. The amazing wildlife around you is beyond words. This was by far ... a fabulous and unforgettable vacation. Cant wait to come back .. PURA VIDA

Room Tip: fitness center= the nature hikes all around the property spa= lovely private pool and massage. BES...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from our amazing wedding week in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. Before we left Texas, I booked 2 nights at the Prana Rainforest Retreat purely based on Trip Advisor reviews. I knew that before the wedding week craziness started, my hubby and I would need a couple nights to relax together. The plan was that we would stay at Prana for 2 nights, then meet up with our friends and family and start the rest of the wedding festivities.

Well, I'll just say that booking 2 nights here was the most amazing start to our magical wedding week!! I expected it to be nice, but it blew our expectations out of the water! Here is what we LOVED about Prana:

- Incredibly hospitable hosts, Mark and Jon. They went above and beyond to make us feel safe, welcome and at home. It included picking us up at Quepos airport, a thorough tour of the retreat, 2 phenomenal breakfasts on the deck while watching monkeys, a couple's massage on the private pavilion and they even let us pick up groceries from the market, gave us an extensive driving tour of town, and dropped us off at our next destination! Nicest people ever.

- The actual villa was gorgeous! It's huge, with a living room, large bedroom, massive bathroom and shower overlooking the private pool, and a kitchenette. It's the most peaceful, relaxing space and is decorated beautifully with fresh plants and flowers everywhere. The bed was very comfortable, and we slept wonderfully! We enjoyed the sounds of the birds, insects and howler monkeys serenading us at night. We chose to leave the doors open to the screens so we could experience full rainforest immersion.

- The outdoor space is just as amazing as the indoor space! You have your own pool, completely private, overlooking the rainforest, which backs up to Manuel Antonio National Park. There is a comfy lounge bed and chairs outside to enjoy as well. In addition to your own pool, our favorite outdoor space was the yoga/massage pavilion that is a short walk down some steps from your villa. It is a very special, magical place and my husband and I will forever remember the time we spent there doing yoga, lounging in the hammocks and reading books. It's surrounded by nature, and the sounds of a nearby waterfall.

- Breakfasts!! Both meals were really exceptional. Both of us were still talking about it days after we stayed there. And I'm still dreaming of the goat cheese omelet. ;)

- Privacy. This retreat is so wonderfully private! We appreciated the fact that they cater to one couple at a time and felt so special being Mark and Jon's guests. Later in our week, we stayed at a "resort" and felt ourselves missing the intimacy that Prana provides.

- Massages. Excellent! Completely relaxing and we loved having them outside in the pavilion next to the waterfall.

If you are looking for a private, peaceful, luxury jungle escape, look no further. Prana is a stunning place that will change the way you travel. We would choose a retreat like Prana over any hotel or resort in a heartbeat! If we are lucky enough to make it back to Manuel Antonio, we will be happily booking Prana again!

Room Tip: There is only 1 room! It's perfect!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NicB23
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 November 2013

In May of 2013 I began to search for the perfect honeymoon destination. I didn’t know where to start so I did what any guy in my situation would do….use Google. I had heard wonderful things about Costa Rica so I decided that was the location. After hours of research and many open Trip Advisor tabs, I somehow stumbled upon the Prana Rainforest Retreat. The pictures, website, and cost seemed too good to be true! However, it seemed odd that this paradise only had a fraction of the reviews the other resorts and hotels had. After all, I was planning my first international trip with my soon-to-be bride. But after reaching out to Mark and Jon, I was assured that this place truly was fantastic and booked a trip for seven days.

Upon arrival, Mark & Jon greeted us and insisted we settle in due to our day of travel. There is something you must understand about the Prana. It is exactly what my title of this review is: Paradise. Heaven. Perfect. Breathtaking. Intimate. Exquisite. Laura and I were blown away upon walking into the house(see my photos). The house is over 1400 square feet that features a king sized bed, private pool, a slew of windows, beautiful walk-in shower with a waterfall showerhead, a backyard that is the Manuel Antonio National Park, and much more. The house is the definition of privacy as well. Whether if you want to walk around in your birthday suit or without make-up for days, no one will be seeing you. It is completely secluded.

Something special about the Prana was the time Laura and I spent together while eating breakfast. We would wake up around 5:45am due to the beautiful sunrise (which was earlier than we would in the U.S.) and be treated to seeing a variety of wildlife including three types of monkeys, sloths, many species of colorful birds, and much more. Now on to the F-O-O-D! Jon. Mark. You two are wonderful chefs. Pura vida!!! Our lovely hosts would always ask what we liked to eat but we preferred to leave it in their hands. We highly suggest doing the same. Most of the food is grown on site or bought at the market so it as fresh and natural as can be.

Another note is the quality of service you’ll receive. Mark & Jon provided great advice & suggestions during our entire trip whether it was for dinner, adventures, shopping or whatever. One thing that was important to us was to relax for a few days but to also make the most of our time while we were in Costa Rica. The guys suggested great adventures to fill our week. We went zip-lining with Canopy Safari, hiking in the Rainmaker, horseback riding & whitewater rafting with Rafiki Saffari Lodge, and beached it up in the Manuel Antonio National Park after a private wildlife tour. Not to mention, they truly know the area and the people who work there. We were fortunate to meet managers of the top local restaurants or have the best tour guide(ask for Gama) when we visited the national park. They even helped us drive back to the San Jose airport thanks to their fantastic directions and easy to spot landmarks. Side note: Please allot about two and a half hours if you plan on renting a car and driving to/from the San Jose airport. It’s not a difficult drive as the roads are all paved. We managed renting a small economy car but will be renting an SUV the next time we visit.

The Prana also offers yoga sessions and a few different massage options. Make sure you do one of the two! We had an hour long massage and it was a nice way to start our trip to relieve our wedding planning stresses. The Prana has a hut-like building about 100 feet downstairs beside the guest house. It features a natural flowing waterfall and a couple of hammocks. Talk about relaxing.

Laura and I would like to sincerely thank the two of you for being so accommodating during our trip. You two truly made our honeymoon a dream come true. Not to mention, our trip has brought us a certain appreciation for the Costa Rican culture that we doubt we could have found in other destinations/resorts. We are certain that we will be making a return trip to CR in the future due to your hospitality and insight. I'd just like to say that it is so nice to know that we will always have friends in Costa Rica.

Simply put, stay at the Prana Rainforest Retreat if you are in the mood to be fully pampered and reach a level of relaxation known only to a few.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Weston G
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Without a doubt, Prana Rainforest Retreat was the highlight of our trip to Costa Rica! We stayed at 3 properties during our trip and fell in love with Prana!

The villa itself surpassed our expectations - the architecture and the grounds were stunning (with all the amenities of a 5 star resort.) My husband & I thoroughly enjoyed being immersed in the tropical rainforest. We woke up early every day to spot the monkey's and sloth's that so often visited us during breakfast.

Mark & John were the ultimate hosts! Every meal was fresh, inventive and delicious - highlighting local ingredients from their grounds or the local farmers market. (The food was so good, we added on 2 dinners during our 3 night stay.) We also enjoyed a couples massage and yoga with our professional hosts on the deck, with the sounds of nature and a nearby waterfall as our backdrop.

Mark & John truly created a peaceful oasis and an authentic experience for their guests! We can't thank them enough and can't wait to return!

With Love, The Evans (Chicago)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Evans356
Reviewed 20 August 2013

First of all, their website does not do their place justice. My jaw literally dropped when I walked into our suite. It was amazing. John and Mark have done a stellar job in putting their little piece of paradise together, and it is a piece of paradise.

Prana Rainforest Retreat sits on the edge of a national park, and when you look out from your bed, all you can see is untouched pristine rainforest with monkeys playing in the background.

I was there with my partner and we both left so refreshed and restored. Mark and John go out of their way to make you feel taken care of. They make the most amazing breakfast ever.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blueosa
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I can say without a shred of doubt that Mark and Jon have created something truly special with Prana Rainforest Retreat. The warmth, heart, and soul of the property, the rainforest, and the two fantastic hosts all compliment and enhance each other perfectly!

After much research I had narrowed things down to Prana or one 5 star hotel in Manuel Antonio. My wife and I were traveling for our 10th anniversary, and both enjoy getting to out of the way places where we can enjoy some privacy and relaxation without having to deal with big crowds. At first, I was a little concerned with the relative lack of reviews and feedback about Prana on the web, but my concerns were quickly alleviated once I started an email conversation with Mark. He was extremely helpful and thoughtful in his responses to my questions and I knew pretty quickly that Prana seemed like the best choice for the two of us.

Upon arrival I quickly realized that I couldn't have been more right! We were greeted by Mark and Jon and given a tour of our accommodations... The guest house is amazing! A huge living room and bedroom both look right out into the rainforest through floor to ceiling windows and screens. The Shower (huge rainfall shower with sliding door opening to pool), dressing area, mini kitchen, and bathroom are also basically perfect and very well laid out. Both the bedroom and shower opened up to our own private pool with lounge chairs and a built in Bali bed hanging over one edge of the pool. The grounds are also beautiful and the private yoga pavilion set next to a waterfall is equally great and a perfect place for yoga, massage, or morning exercises and relaxation.

Waking up every morning with the rising of the sun and the sound of howler monkeys put a smile on my face every day. Falling asleep each night to the sounds of a rainstorm and frogs in the pool was equally great.

I typically like to go to a place once, check it off the vacation list, and then not prioritize a return trip. Prana is now 1 of 2 places that I know I have to get back to in the near future.

Thanks again Mark and Jon! Until next time!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
marcello forte
Reviewed 4 July 2013

this is a bit overdue but needed to take a moment to write a review of Prana Rainforest Retreat. i searched for hours night after night looking for what i had in mind for our trip to costa rica. we wanted our own place with privacy but we also wanted some services Then we found Prana - sounded perfect.... and it was!!!!!

the home we stayed in was beautiful. windows everywhere, views of the jungle, really no reason to leave. complete privacy.. who needs a bathing suit when you have your own pool. and amazing hosts. mark and jon provided great advise when needed, amazing daily massages at whatever time we wanted, a private yoga class and the FOOD... THE FOOD. I regret every bite we didn't finish. Breakfast was an amazing way to start each day. We had a few meals in town which were ok but when there is food like this at home why go out. we had one dinner in our house where the meal was delivered and set up in our dinning room. our last night we had a special birthday dinner for my partner where we were served each meal and our wine glass never emptied. these meals were the best of our trip. to be honest i wish we had more diners in and not wasted our time and money trying to get a good meal elsewhere. Mark also provided homemade products. Natural mouth wash that was amazing, aloe cream for my sun burn, and drops for swimmers ear when my partner needed it. want to treat yourself to your own private retreat with all the add-ons you could want.... Prana Rainforest Retreat.. look no further.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple