“Perfect choice!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio
Prana Rainforest Retreat
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I went on my first solo vacation a few weeks ago. I knew I wouldn't regret choosing Costa Rica as a destination but I didn't know what to expect from my accommodations. As soon as I arrived, I knew that I had picked the perfect place for me. The setting is magical. The national park surrounds the property and you can hear the sounds of the jungle all day and night. I would spend hours down in the yoga studio or sitting by the pool listening and watching monkeys playing in the trees. I had complete privacy and the attention to details in the decor and vibe of the villa created the perfect atmosphere for me to relax and recharge. Mark and Jon were stellar hosts. They answered all my questions and suggested great places for me to eat and Mark was able to organize really great excursions for me. Like everyone else, I found the food to be absolutely delicious and I couldn't wait to see what amazing, fresh breakfast would be waiting for me in the morning. I will recommend this place to everyone I know. There is something for everyone here and I had a great time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Marianne G

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I have taken way too long to write this review because to write it is to admit our trip is over. We had such a wonderful time at Prana. If you are planning a trip to Manuel Antonio and are looking for a romantic retreat in the jungle, you must stay here. The villa is perfect--relaxing, private, luxurious--and the setting is ideal. We loved the shower room, the view, the private pool, the furnishings. The breakfasts were amazing. We can not say enough good things about the villa. Every bit of advice they gave us for food, activities, beaches was spot on. We truly hope to be able to return some day. Mark and Jon: thank you for making our stay so perfect. You are the perfect hosts who have created the perfect spot.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I just returned from an incredible trip to Manuel Antonia. We spent the whole week at Prana Rainforest Retreat and couldn't have been more surprised and pleased. First, the villa is much larger and more luxurious than we expected. Mark and Jon had just received a truckload of gorgeous furniture, statuary and finds from their trip to bali, but everything in this beautiful place felt like it had been there for years.
The daily breakfasts were as good as it gets. The private pool, the palapa hidden down the hill, the monkeys and the jungle sounds made this a very special and unique vacation. Can't recommend it more highly.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JerseyEdTraveling
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We spent 8 nights at Prana and truly we were in heaven. The grounds and the décor for starts were stunning. The bed was extremely comfortable, I slept better then I do at home. The view outside, from the bed alone is breathtaking. The private pool, massages daily, and perfect breakfasts were all part of our daily encounters. The amazing wildlife around you is beyond words. This was by far ... a fabulous and unforgettable vacation. Cant wait to come back .. PURA VIDA

Room Tip: fitness center= the nature hikes all around the property spa= lovely private pool and massage. BES...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from our amazing wedding week in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. Before we left Texas, I booked 2 nights at the Prana Rainforest Retreat purely based on Trip Advisor reviews. I knew that before the wedding week craziness started, my hubby and I would need a couple nights to relax together. The plan was that we would stay at Prana for 2 nights, then meet up with our friends and family and start the rest of the wedding festivities.

Well, I'll just say that booking 2 nights here was the most amazing start to our magical wedding week!! I expected it to be nice, but it blew our expectations out of the water! Here is what we LOVED about Prana:

- Incredibly hospitable hosts, Mark and Jon. They went above and beyond to make us feel safe, welcome and at home. It included picking us up at Quepos airport, a thorough tour of the retreat, 2 phenomenal breakfasts on the deck while watching monkeys, a couple's massage on the private pavilion and they even let us pick up groceries from the market, gave us an extensive driving tour of town, and dropped us off at our next destination! Nicest people ever.

- The actual villa was gorgeous! It's huge, with a living room, large bedroom, massive bathroom and shower overlooking the private pool, and a kitchenette. It's the most peaceful, relaxing space and is decorated beautifully with fresh plants and flowers everywhere. The bed was very comfortable, and we slept wonderfully! We enjoyed the sounds of the birds, insects and howler monkeys serenading us at night. We chose to leave the doors open to the screens so we could experience full rainforest immersion.

- The outdoor space is just as amazing as the indoor space! You have your own pool, completely private, overlooking the rainforest, which backs up to Manuel Antonio National Park. There is a comfy lounge bed and chairs outside to enjoy as well. In addition to your own pool, our favorite outdoor space was the yoga/massage pavilion that is a short walk down some steps from your villa. It is a very special, magical place and my husband and I will forever remember the time we spent there doing yoga, lounging in the hammocks and reading books. It's surrounded by nature, and the sounds of a nearby waterfall.

- Breakfasts!! Both meals were really exceptional. Both of us were still talking about it days after we stayed there. And I'm still dreaming of the goat cheese omelet. ;)

- Privacy. This retreat is so wonderfully private! We appreciated the fact that they cater to one couple at a time and felt so special being Mark and Jon's guests. Later in our week, we stayed at a "resort" and felt ourselves missing the intimacy that Prana provides.

- Massages. Excellent! Completely relaxing and we loved having them outside in the pavilion next to the waterfall.

If you are looking for a private, peaceful, luxury jungle escape, look no further. Prana is a stunning place that will change the way you travel. We would choose a retreat like Prana over any hotel or resort in a heartbeat! If we are lucky enough to make it back to Manuel Antonio, we will be happily booking Prana again!

Room Tip: There is only 1 room! It's perfect!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NicB23
Reviewed 27 November 2013

In May of 2013 I began to search for the perfect honeymoon destination. I didn’t know where to start so I did what any guy in my situation would do….use Google. I had heard wonderful things about Costa Rica so I decided that was the location. After hours of research and many open Trip Advisor tabs, I somehow stumbled upon the Prana Rainforest Retreat. The pictures, website, and cost seemed too good to be true! However, it seemed odd that this paradise only had a fraction of the reviews the other resorts and hotels had. After all, I was planning my first international trip with my soon-to-be bride. But after reaching out to Mark and Jon, I was assured that this place truly was fantastic and booked a trip for seven days.

Upon arrival, Mark & Jon greeted us and insisted we settle in due to our day of travel. There is something you must understand about the Prana. It is exactly what my title of this review is: Paradise. Heaven. Perfect. Breathtaking. Intimate. Exquisite. Laura and I were blown away upon walking into the house(see my photos). The house is over 1400 square feet that features a king sized bed, private pool, a slew of windows, beautiful walk-in shower with a waterfall showerhead, a backyard that is the Manuel Antonio National Park, and much more. The house is the definition of privacy as well. Whether if you want to walk around in your birthday suit or without make-up for days, no one will be seeing you. It is completely secluded.

Something special about the Prana was the time Laura and I spent together while eating breakfast. We would wake up around 5:45am due to the beautiful sunrise (which was earlier than we would in the U.S.) and be treated to seeing a variety of wildlife including three types of monkeys, sloths, many species of colorful birds, and much more. Now on to the F-O-O-D! Jon. Mark. You two are wonderful chefs. Pura vida!!! Our lovely hosts would always ask what we liked to eat but we preferred to leave it in their hands. We highly suggest doing the same. Most of the food is grown on site or bought at the market so it as fresh and natural as can be.

Another note is the quality of service you’ll receive. Mark & Jon provided great advice & suggestions during our entire trip whether it was for dinner, adventures, shopping or whatever. One thing that was important to us was to relax for a few days but to also make the most of our time while we were in Costa Rica. The guys suggested great adventures to fill our week. We went zip-lining with Canopy Safari, hiking in the Rainmaker, horseback riding & whitewater rafting with Rafiki Saffari Lodge, and beached it up in the Manuel Antonio National Park after a private wildlife tour. Not to mention, they truly know the area and the people who work there. We were fortunate to meet managers of the top local restaurants or have the best tour guide(ask for Gama) when we visited the national park. They even helped us drive back to the San Jose airport thanks to their fantastic directions and easy to spot landmarks. Side note: Please allot about two and a half hours if you plan on renting a car and driving to/from the San Jose airport. It’s not a difficult drive as the roads are all paved. We managed renting a small economy car but will be renting an SUV the next time we visit.

The Prana also offers yoga sessions and a few different massage options. Make sure you do one of the two! We had an hour long massage and it was a nice way to start our trip to relieve our wedding planning stresses. The Prana has a hut-like building about 100 feet downstairs beside the guest house. It features a natural flowing waterfall and a couple of hammocks. Talk about relaxing.

Laura and I would like to sincerely thank the two of you for being so accommodating during our trip. You two truly made our honeymoon a dream come true. Not to mention, our trip has brought us a certain appreciation for the Costa Rican culture that we doubt we could have found in other destinations/resorts. We are certain that we will be making a return trip to CR in the future due to your hospitality and insight. I'd just like to say that it is so nice to know that we will always have friends in Costa Rica.

Simply put, stay at the Prana Rainforest Retreat if you are in the mood to be fully pampered and reach a level of relaxation known only to a few.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Weston G
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Without a doubt, Prana Rainforest Retreat was the highlight of our trip to Costa Rica! We stayed at 3 properties during our trip and fell in love with Prana!

The villa itself surpassed our expectations - the architecture and the grounds were stunning (with all the amenities of a 5 star resort.) My husband & I thoroughly enjoyed being immersed in the tropical rainforest. We woke up early every day to spot the monkey's and sloth's that so often visited us during breakfast.

Mark & John were the ultimate hosts! Every meal was fresh, inventive and delicious - highlighting local ingredients from their grounds or the local farmers market. (The food was so good, we added on 2 dinners during our 3 night stay.) We also enjoyed a couples massage and yoga with our professional hosts on the deck, with the sounds of nature and a nearby waterfall as our backdrop.

Mark & John truly created a peaceful oasis and an authentic experience for their guests! We can't thank them enough and can't wait to return!

With Love, The Evans (Chicago)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple