“like staying at a friends home, so very comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mango Moon Villa

Mango Moon Villa
Ormond Beach, Florida
“like staying at a friends home, so very comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Great place. When you first walk in its like visiting a friend. All the staff is welcoming and committed to making your stay the best. Donna the owner sat down with us our first morning to share coffee. We had happy hour drinks on our private deck and watched the monkeys pass by. Then dinner in the open dinning room to watch the sunset. Only 10 rooms so it is intimate and very romantic. Definitely will be going back--as soon as I can get more time off!! Lol! didn't get a chance to go to private beach but did lay by pool which was perfectly refreshing and you still get the views of ocean. Fell asleep in big round lounge chair listening to nature.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room for the best views and close up of monkeys!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
WINNIPEG
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Unfortunately, the reviews and high-star rating on this site do not reflect what we experienced during our stay. We had hoped to experience an "intimate" boutique hotel as advertised.

Positives:
-The view and the grounds are beautiful.
-Monkeys are right outside the balcony every day, putting on a show for the guests.
-The owner is friendly and offers useful tips for experiencing Manuel Antonio.

Negatives:
-Our impression, after staying three nights, is that this is a party hotel. We wanted to experience the sounds of the jungle but instead got loud music and partying from the hotel and from the other guests (one night this went on late into the night). For some this might be a positive but we were travelling as a family and this was not what we were looking for. I think it's important that people know going in that this is what they may experience.
-Most hotels in the area include a large breakfast. Here, you will be given toast and fruit and will be charged if you want something other than that.

We don't regret staying there for three nights, even though we left because of the noise. We enjoyed the views and the monkeys. However, it wasn't for us and we wouldn't stay again or recommend it to friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank tableau
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Mango Moon is why I love staying at a small boutique hotel. When you first walk in, you are immediately blown away with the panoramic view of a private cove down below the hotel. The pictures posted in other reviews are not edited – it really is that beautiful. Donna the hotel owner makes you feel like Mango Moon is your home away from home and the staff becomes family. That being said, if you would rather have your own private getaway she completely lets you be. I personally loved the way I got to know everyone and even got offered rides to the beach to go surfing.

Secondly, there is wildlife everywhere. I’m glad my boyfriend and I didn’t book a tour of the national park, because we had a better view from our balcony than we would have on a small path in the jungle! On our first day, we were greeted by a family of capuchin monkeys who were happily eating away at the fresh mangos surrounding our room. We saw toucans perched in the trees above us, and could hear parrots off in the distance. The next day a troop of howler monkeys came through and shared space with the capuchins and during the final day of our trip we were sent off by the cutest little squirrel monkeys. I have never seen so many monkeys in my entire life and they were all within an arm’s length!

Getting to the accommodations – we were first in Capuchin Cove that had an open bathroom/bedroom concept which my boyfriend and I were thrilled about, but after the second night of our stay the monkeys were up on the roof playing with the tiles and pulled one away so there was a leak. Before my boyfriend and I even had a chance to say anything, Donna had us moved to the nicest room in the hotel – the Gecko Suite, completely free of charge for the next 3 nights of our stay even though they fixed the roof within the hour. The food. Oh the food is so good, we had to literally force ourselves to try other places. And the 2 for 1 happy hour special at sunset is icing on the cake. I was shocked at how amazing the chefs were for all three courses. Donna has also trained all of her staff to know how to mix a drink as well as whip up fresh fish tacos whenever we wanted them – even if the kitchen wasn’t open yet. Another great thing to note is the water, we drank straight out of the sink and it was completely safe. Donna leaves out a pitcher of cucumber water, my new favorite way to stay hydrated and we did not get sick once.

I will say, the one thing that isn’t picture perfect is the walk to the beach. That being said, no matter where you are staying you will have to walk, take a bus, or a cab unless you are staying directly on the water. My boyfriend and I are very active so we were able to get up and down the hill in about 12 minutes each way. Once you make it down the view is breathtaking and completely private to only those staying at the hotel.

We were so happy with our stay at Mango Moon, we are already trying to figure out when we can go back again. It truly is a home away from home and I miss it so much even though we just came back a few days ago.

I hope this review helps and thank you again Donna for making our stay so magical!

Room Tip: It is safe to say, every single room faces ocean so there is no bad place to sleep!
Chicago, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at 4 different hotels while in Costa Rica and this was by far the best of them all. The staff was great and very friendly. I will forever have some great memories of this place. With a great view and only a few rooms it sure felt very cozy!!!

New York City, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My girlfriend is a very discerning traveler -- and by "discerning", I mean that she generally hates to be anywhere but home. There are only two places in the world that are exceptions to this rule, and Hotel Mango Moon is one of them. I have to agree with her, just this once.

It seemed like a long journey to get there, but once we arrived it was a spectacular experience on every level. Our room (the Howler Hangout) was private and comfortable. Lunch and dinner at the bar was amazing, both for the food and for the view. (If you aren't staying at the hotel, go eat there!) Monkeys wandered through almost every morning, and during the day there were some beautiful birds perched outside. Donna and especially Arlene made sure we were happy throughout, and proved to be an expert resource for local attractions and tours.

The best part seems to be the most unappreciated as well -- you have access to an almost private beach! Take the long, steep walk down the hill, it is definitely worth it. We saw more wildlife there than we did at Manuel Antonio!

Hope to see you again, Mango Moon!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were there at the beginning of Semana Santa. This is a small boutique hotel near the Mariposa Hotel. Because we booked at the last minute for two nights, Donna was able to accommodate us in a two bedroom downstairs (Toucan?) the first night, and upstairs above the restaurant (Iguana), the second night. I prefer the larger room and the proximity to the pool, but both worked. Charming, low key place, matches the staff. Everyone was helpful, Donna is very cool, they were able to get us a small refrig immediately upstairs when we asked for it. The private beach is a short 10 minute walk, a little longer returning uphill. Don't go there at high tide, though, not much beach, many rocks. We ate appetizers (delicious) at their Wednesday night jam with fun musicians playing a variety of covers. Donna's dog Manga is quite talented, she sings along with the band. This is a family place, but the walls seemed thick enough (the 4 adults and baby next door didn't complain about us playing music in the late evening). I agree with one of the other reviewers, for the price of the room, a full typical breakfast should be included.

Room Tip: We liked both of the rooms, but the downstairs two bedroom was larger (and therefore more expensive...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robert g
Santa Mon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I turned 50 in January!!

A friend recommended I go to Costa Rica to "deal" with this life-changing event. :-)

Another buddy of mine recommended Mango Moon as the place to stay.
I could not have been happier! The staff at Mango Moon was great, the owner Donna is a sweetheart and makes everyone feel very welcomed.

The location is perfect. I've read a few reviews about having to walk a little bit to the beach. Well it's such a beautiful walk surrounded by squirrel monkeys and animals and beautiful, that people should just appreciate and enjoy it then once you get to the beach it's fantastic!

In my opinion there's no other place to stay if you're in Manual Antonio. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo