“Great hospitality and perfect for the Park”

La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The staff at La Posada make this a great place to stay. I had phoned to make a reservation the night before arriving in Manuel Antonio. The room I wanted wasn't available but (given I was staying for a couple of nights and it was the rainy season) I was offered a discount on the Monkey Room. The room is large and clean with A/C and nice touches such as an umbrella, torch and coffee machine.

Jonathon arranged for an excellent guide (Manuel Cabalceta) to show me around the National Park and Mike kindly bought a bus ticket for me when he was visiting the nearby town of Quepos. He also knocked on my door after breakfast to let me know that a troop of squirrel monkeys had arrived in the garden. My only grumble is that guests were allowed to feed the monkeys (bananas are not their preferred food and can cause digestive problems, and irregular feeding can lead to aggressive behaviour. Not something that should be encouraged).

The property is right on the doorstep of the National Park and just a few minutes walk from the beach. It was the perfect place to end my Costa Rica trip, ensuring my last couple of nights were very relaxing and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank itchyfeet09

Reviewed 19 September 2013

I have now been to Costa Rica 4 times, three of which, I have stayed at La Posada. The combination of excellent service, excellent location, great prices and great amenities makes this hotel one of my all time favorite vacation locations.

The owner Mike is now a good friend of mine and truly goes out of his way to make his guests feel at home while staying in his hotel. Mike or his two managers Jonathan and Esteban will tell you what is fun to do in town every night and where to go during the day depending on what you would like to do. If you do any tours, they will book them for you and split the commission with you. Jonathan even booked my rental car for me on this past trip, which got me a better rate and saved me from having to argue at the renal car company about taxes and extra fees (which Costa Rican rental car companies love to kill you with). Every morning you wake up to a free delicious home cooked breakfast and many times the monkeys from the park will come down to play around in the trees above you while you eat your meal. Jon and Estaban cook meals three times a week which are tasty and a great way to save a few bucks since they only charge 7 dollars a person.

The vibe in the hotel common areas with fellow guests is great! We enjoyed having drinks with other hotel guests or enjoying one of the homemade pizzas that they make at La Posada in the afternoons.

The cleanliness is unreal in this place! The cleaning staff is so friendly and truly deep clean every unit every day. They even folded my clothes, scrubbed all of the floors and cleaned all of the windows, EVERY DAY! I just wish one of those girls would come home to LA with me :)

Thank you guys for treating us so well every time we come down. We will miss you until next time!

Pura Vida!

Sean

Room Tip: The bungalows are great!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sn M
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed here in early August. I don't think I can say anything else that others haven't shared, so I'll repeat some of the highlights.

The reservation process was easy. Jonathan answered my e-mails quickly, reserved my preferred room (the Parrot), and facilitated payment through a secured PayPal account. Our room was ready at 1:00 p.m. on the day of our arrival. The room was spacious, fitted with a brand new AC unit, great bathroom with consistently reliable hot water, a lovely private patio, and was SPOTLESS.

Daily breakfast was more than we needed. There was a rotation of fruits, bread for toast, peanut butter, eggs made to order, coffee, juice and breakfast meats and pancakes were sometimes served. Breakfast was served a little bit late for us. Cold items start appearing around 7:30 with the full hot breakfast usually ready by 8:00. Since the park opened earlier than that, we often felt rushed to eat to start our day in the park.

The location can't be beat. You literally walk out of the hotel's entrance, turn left, and enter the gates of the park. We couldn't help but smile at our great fortune as we watched other tourists being bused in from their hotels every day to visit the park.

The pool is a lovely thing to enjoy every day after trekking around the park. We watched bands of squirrel and capuchin monkeys cavort around the pool and saw some amazing lizards. Each evening a deer comes on site. Jonathan loving refers to her as "their gardener."

All of the staff were fantastic. Jonathan, Mike (owner) and Francini were the standouts. Francini kept our room spotless and did our laundry one day.

We'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Muriel12
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Super convenient to the N.P. and to the huge beach at Manuel Antonio. Huge super clean rooms with hammocks outside. Hosts are super friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the pool when it rained and loved that you could borrow boogie boards!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Neotrips
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I can't say enough good things about La Posada. It is exactly the place to stay to get a feeling for what Costa Rica is all about. The owner, Mike and his staff maintain a sense of community with their guests that really makes you feel at home. The managers Jonathan and Esteban are happy to show you around, schedule tours, arrange transportation, suggest restaurants, recommend excursions, organize group outings, and provide anything else you may need. The cottages are spacious, clean, private, with local color, good air conditioning, comfortable beds, and good plumbing. The location is easy walking distance to beaches, restaurants and is literally a stones throw from the Manuel Antonio National Park. The property has a campy, natural jungle feel with trails, a pool, and an outdoor common area for breakfasts, dinners, and other gatherings. We stayed in the two-story Villa that has a nice kitchen and two bathrooms each with a shower. If this is your first time in Costa Rica, La Posada is a great choice.

Room Tip: La Villa cottage is a great choice
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2013

One of the previous reviews of this place said it perfectly, this place is "magical." I came here for my last 3 days in Costa Rica and went based on TA reviews. They were all incredibly accurate. This place is fantastic! Incredibly homey, wonderful staff, fantastic location. Even the other people staying there couldn't have been nicer. Mike and his staff really care about making your stay there as good as possible. Don't bother booking tours and activities on your own since the staff here have connections with a lot of the tour companies around and can help you get a good discount. I loved staying here and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This was definitely our favorite place that we stayed on our trip. The park enterance is right outside the door; it's an easy walk to the beach; restaurants are right down the street. We loved watching the monkeys, feeding Nina the deer as she walked by our room, and basking with the basilisks by the pool. And Mike and Jonathan were great. Our son had a blast at movie night and the mexican restaurant was really fun too. Highly recommended and we hope to come back some day.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family