Our opinion of Las Cascadas was dampened before we arrived. Their reservation policy is to charge 50% at the time of booking and the other 50% 15 days before arrival. This is the only accomodation in Costa Rica that made me pay for the entire stay before we got there. I'm sure this isn't entirely uncommon - particularly for high season at a larger property, but still bothersome. We were staying 2 nights at $120/night. They charged my credit card $120 when I booked and were supposed to charge the other $120 15 days prior. Surprise! They charged me $240 15 days prior! It could have been an honest mistake - I emailed the hotel and got a response the next day saying they would credit it. 6 days later I had not seen the credit yet so I was forced to send a follow up email. The following day I got another response stating they had sent it to the bank (I have a feeling they didn't issue the credit until the 2nd email). I finally received the credit 2 weeks after they charged it.
Throughout the stay we found the service to be sub par. The front desk seems to be run by short term interns who, while friendly, don't have the knowledge needed to do a great job. The breakfast is a bit of a joke - if they want to charge for it they really need to increase their level of service. To be fair, there was a power outage but the indifference from staff only increased the aggravation. Another day we met a taxi early before they had opened the gate - only to find that we couldn't get in or out. None of the keys worked. I tried, my girlfriend tried, the taxi driver tried.. the gal at the front desk tried, all to no avail. We never did figure out if they worked or not. Thank goodness we were only trying to leave early, not come back late. They were helpful, however when we booked our single tour in the area.
The location of Las Cascadas is rather.. unique. It is found past a residential neighborhood and you have to travel through a very narrow street with houses on either side where you're basically looking into tico living rooms. It was a little unnerving as we werent sure of the safety of this neighborhood, but we had no problems. We were on foot for our trip so it was a little out of the way - but it looked like many people had rental cars which would make it much easier. The property is on a hill so it is a little bit of a hike down to Quepos. If you want to get a meal in town give yourself time for the walk or call a taxi. We walked back and forth after dark without issues but you'll have to decide for yourself if you feel safe. To get to Manuel Antonio you'll need to take a $10 cab or the public bus.
We stayed in the Canopy Suite which is tucked into the side of a very steep hill. We had specifically booked the room with the terrace but were notified that the owner's son had given our room away the night before. This wasn't a huge deal but worth mentioning. They did offer to let us switch the following day but we were already settled in and didn't want to pack all our stuff so they could move it while we were out. The hotel was very good about warning us before we booked that the hike up is strenuous - and it is. It is also a little quieter and the view from the room is great. For the price of the room we expected better housekeeping. There were cobwebs in the curtains and the floors were dirty. It is the rainforest so we can coexist with bugs, but it was easy to notice the lack of care. On the plus side, the room was very spacious and had a huge bathroom and shower. The bed was very good.
All in all, we were disappointed in the level of service more than anything else. Make sure that the out of the way location is what you want. I believe the Trip Advisor reviews on this hotel are skewed.. I'm willing to bet there are plenty of better options.
David & Kelsey
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Las Cascadas “The Falls” is family-owned Boutique Hotel located in the Town of Quepos, just minutes away from the world famous Manuel Antonio National Park and all its wonders. Our Hotel offers individually designed accommodations with options on one, two or three bedrooms, all with a tropical elegance design, we give you the ideal natural environment for family vacation, romantic getaway or business travel. The convenient location of Condotel Las Cascadas “The Falls” offers an incomparable natural setting on lushly landscapes with ocean views from some of our rooms, only three hours away from Juan Santamaria International Airport in San Jose. Enjoy endless summers with near perfect weather, balmy trade winds, and blue waters on a vacation in Costa Rica – the beauty is all yours to explore and experience. Condotel Las Cascadas “The Falls” is situated in one of the most popular tourist destinations in all Costa Rica, Manuel Antonio National Park, here you can experience the true essence of the area, sloths, white-faced monkeys and howler monkeys are part of the wildlife that you will get to see inside the park, this among countless tropical flora of Costa Rica. The Hotel is located within walking distance from Nahomi Bay, (perfect sunset spot), Quepos Town, where all the small shops, supermarkets, pharmacies and other facilities are situated and the famous Marina Pez Vela is where you will find the area’s best restaurants, all with different options of Food & Beverages and a gorgeous ocean views. The stunning waters of the Pacific Ocean create a wonderful setting for Tours & Activities, such as snorkeling, sailing, stand up paddle boarding, and scuba diving, for the adventurers souls, tours like canopy (zip-line), white water rafting, ATV’s are always available for our guests. Quepos is among the world’s top destinations for Sport Fishing. Home of the 2017 Offshore World Championship. If you believe the surrounding beauty of the Manuel Antonio National Park and the offshore islands are overwhelming, just imagine how you will feel catching a giant blue marlin! Condotel Las Cascadas “The Falls” is perfectly integrated into the lush tropical environment and provides a comfortable and private retreat. Visit Costa Rica, Explore Manuel Antonio and stay at Condotel Las Cascadas “The Falls”. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Las Cascadas The Falls reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Condotel Las Cascadas Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Las Cascadas The Falls Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio