“Santa Juana Rural Tour was a great experience!”

Greentique Costa Rica Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Nature Park is part of a 25-acre private wildlife refuge and protected corridor with three primary nature exhibits, including Turtle Ponds, and several user-friendly“nature interpretive” trails located across from Si Como No Resort & Spa.The Nature Park features a unique Butterfly Atrium and Amphibian Botanical Gardens with guided “Jungle Night Walks”, plus one-of-kind Reptile Lagoons with Crocodiles,Caymans and Turtle habitats. The refuge includes a variety of Flora and Fauna, including a medicinal garden and natural habitats for three species of primates and variety of birdspecies.The primary mission of the project is to help conserve biodiversity by informing visitors ofthe importance of appreciating and in turn protecting our precious natural resources.The guided tours are in English and Spanish. Comfortable shoes & binoculars are recommended. Children under 6 are free with discounts for children 6 to 12. The six (6) tours offered are: 1) The Butterfly Botanical Gardens 2) Reptile Lagoons 3) The Butterfly Botanical Garden and Reptile lagoons 4) Combination Exhibitions and nature Walk 5) Nocturnal Jungle Walk and Tropical Aquatic Garden 6) Manuel Antonio Nature Park & Wildlife Refuge Birding Tour
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in Si Como No and enjoyed it a lot! We had a superior room with an amazing view to the sea. The staff is very friendly, the food is delicious and the pool area with the sea view is tremendous! As a highlight, we did the "Santa Juana Rural Mountain Adventure Tour" which is an exciting combined tour (zip lining, horseback riding, learning about sugar production, guided hiking tour, swimming in a waterfall, tilapia fishing, lunch with a great mountain view). Our guide was Johnny, he is an excellent, friendly and funny guide. He has a huge knowledge about Costa Rica's plants and animals. We also liked the fact that we could support the local community with this tour. The price of $125 was absolutely well invested an worth it! We can highly recommend you the Santa Juana Tour!

1  Thank Ellen V

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We weren't so lucky with the weather on this night tour, but it is rainy season, so I guess it was to be expected. It poured down rain for most of the tour, but we still had a great time. Johnny, our guide, was excellent. He was very patient and knowledgeable and he even helped us take pictures of the frogs, which is a bit tricky sometimes without a flash at night. He pointed out 9 different species of frogs, many spiders (including two tarantulas), lizards and bugs. We saw a total of 49 red-eyed tree frogs and our son really got excited about finding them and counting them. The reptiles (caymans, crocs) and turtles were also interesting. Johnny also informed us about different fruits in the refuge and my husband even ate termites from a large termite mound. I would highly recommend this tour.

1  Thank Monjen123
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a very worth-while tour of a small pueblo located c. 35 km north and east of the Quepos area. Our driver, Marvin, and our guide for the day, Johnny, were nothing short of great! This area is a birder's paradise -- saw a roseate spoonbill, white ibises, woodstorks, green herons, caracaras, a red-capped manakin, a golden-naped woodpecker, kingfishers, tanagers, a road-side falcon, jacanas, heard the clay-colored robin (aka a thrush -- the national bird of Costa Rica whose song is lovely), and toucans. We rode horses, hiked, visited an oxen-driven sugar-cane extraction mill, swam in natural pools with cascadas. The only activity I would eliminate from this tour is a catch-and-release tilapia pool/farm; I would rather just watch them and admire the surrounds. This is a lovely area with incredible vistas of the rainforest when you are having el almuerzo (chicken, rice, beans, salad, juices, and very good coffee!).

Our tour started at 7 am and ended at 3 pm (the drive from Manuel Antonio, tour, and return). My appreciation to Johnny and Marvin for making this a great trip for our small, very congenial group!

1  Thank Barbara C
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I don't think there is words in the human dialect to describe how awesome my experience at this resort was. The last time I visited Central America I was a student. I was doing non profit work in Nicaragua but showed up about two weeks early to explore Costa Rica/ Nicaragua independently. I've have seen nearly everywhere in both places. I can honestly say that I believe Manuel Antonio is one of the most perfect locations in either country. Nothing about the resort made you even want to leave it after a long day of tours. The staff at Rico Ticos were the best employees in the hospitality industry I have ever witnessed. Keep in mind I live next to Pebble Beach and Big Sur in California (and have friends and family working at both). I do not have one staff member at the resort to complain about. Also, I felt that the poolside restaurant employees were the shinning stars in the resort. I found Omar (real name "Toro" I found out later) to be unquestionably the best hospitality worker I have ever crossed paths with. Over the few days my wife and family were at the resort I never felt like Omar was even "serving" us. It honestly felt like I was staying at a friends house. I know it sounds corny but it was true. He even made sure if there was not a dish on the menu, he would coach the kitchen staff how to make the dish. He literally walked the chefs through how to make fish and chips and even made sure I could get my favorite dish Vigoron (a cabbage salad on a bed of Yucca Root topped with Chicharon and showered with lime juice). If you are lucky enough to stay at this hidden gem, make sure you go to Rico Ticos during the evening and meet Omar. He will really teach you about the Tico way of life and you will probably won't be willing to leave Costa Rica for any other reason other than forced deportation. Pura Vida Mr. Nunez.... I am honored (as well as my family) to have crossed paths with you and yours.

2  Thank Gian T
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is a really neat tour walking distance from several hotels including Tulemar. The guide provides flashlights and you get to see all the frogs that are hiding during the day like the red-eyed tree frog!

3  Thank roadtrip78726