“Loved Issimo” 5 of 5 bubbles

Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa
Calgary
“Loved Issimo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2008

We stayed three nights at Issimo Suites in mid-February 2008. We found the resort on the internet and it was given good reviews so we booked our reservation on-line.

Issimo Suites is a small boutique style hotel overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. There are only nine suites at the hotel. We had a hard time finding the hotel because the sign is very small and it is placed with a bunch of other signs. If you go past “the big airplane” on the right hand side of the road, you’ve gone too far. We finally found the turnoff. The drive to the hotel is very windy and dusty as you are on gravel road part of the way. It is about 10 minutes from the main road.

We arrived at reception we were greeted with a nice cold umbrella drink. The reception, kitchen, restaurant are all one big area overlooking the ocean / small pool. There was a guest computer and spa also located off the main dining area.

We were very pleasantly shocked when we got to our room. It was huge and the view from it was incredible! It had a large Jacuzzi that had been partially filled with water. There were flower petals and a beautiful coral rose floating in it and the living room table had a beautiful fresh flower arrangement on it. The room contained a king size bed, large walk in shower, two sink vanity area, stocked ($) fridge, television, large sitting area, big walk in closet, safe, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. The toilet and bidet were behind the saloon style doors. You can hear everything because there are no floor to ceiling walls. One wall of the room was all glass that overlooked our deck and the ocean. It was a beautiful view.

We ate almost all our meals at the hotel. Breakfast was included and had a set menu that had decent choices. There were good selections for lunch and dinner and the prices were not overly expensive. The portion sizes at dinner were extremely generous (all most too big). We were not disappointed with any of our meals. They also had a nice wine selection.

There is no beach directly off at hotel. There is a cove beach a 15 minute walk away. It is down the hill from the hotel and on an unbeaten path through a wooded area and it is worth the walk. There are no loungers there but the hotel does provide towels. A local family has water, pop and snacks that they sell at a little hut. The ocean water was unbelievably warm.

The hotel has a very small pool one level down from the dining room. If you like laying around a big pool with a view, this one isn’t for you.

There is a spa at the hotel. I had a 90 minute therapeutic massage. I have to say that it is probably the best massage I’ve ever had. The spa is small but it is first class, extremely clean and very beautiful. They had a very generous spa menu.

We were graced with the presence of the wild squirrel monkeys and capuchin monkeys that make frequent visits to the hotel on their travels. When we arrived our first day, three of them were laying on the top of the wall overlooking the reception desk. They also frequented our deck. One of the monkeys was two feet away and decided he didn’t like the ball cap sitting on the post so he picked it up and dropped it on the deck and went on his merry way! They are not overly afraid of the people.

The hotel reception arranged an ATV tour for us. It was a half-day trek through the palm tree plantations, rivers and areas of Costa Rica that a tourist would not normally travel. A lot of the travel was on dusty gravel roads and our trip concluded with dinner at a Costa Rican’s home. It was well worth the time and money. We were filthy dirty when we arrived back at the hotel but it was all worth it.

We spent a day walking through the jungles of Manuel Antonio National Park. We saw monkeys, sloths, anteaters, snakes, coati’s, and agouti’s. The howler monkeys were incredibly loud! The park is beautiful and it also has a very beautiful white sand beach. Definitely make the effort to walk through the park.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Issimo. It is a very relaxed hotel with wonderful, friendly staff. If you prefer a smaller boutique style hotel with extremely large, beautiful rooms, then you will love Issimo – it’s first class. We would recommend this property to anyone and would definitely stay there again. While Quepos and Manual Antonio are very touristy, there are lots of activities one can find to do.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Hebrew first
Del Mar, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2008

Fabulous, Fabulous
My friend and I stayed for a week and wished it could have been longer. We have traveled through the Carribean and Mexico. This was definetly the best. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. They were made up as soon as we returned from breakfast. Generally when we travel we try not to eat at the resturant in the hotel. This time we broke that rule. The food was delicious. Other guests we spoke with remarked the same. In addition, it was reasonably priced. The coffee is to die for!

The pool is small but it is quiet and restful. We read, slept and had drinks by the pool. As someone else commented,,, "This is not Disneyland!" If that is what you are looking for you are in the wrong spot. However Disneyland does not have monkeys like the Issimo. Every morning there was a show. About 40 monkeys would run across the roof, stop to look at you, then go off into the forrest. About 10 or 15 minutes later thay came back. Same show later in the day. We saw more monkeys at the hotel than in all of Manuel San Antonio.

I found the staff to be extremely gracious. They could not do enough for you. We felt taken care of personally. One thing to remember when you are traveling in Latin America is that they speak Spanish. Some people speak English but most speak Spanish. It always helps to learn a few words before you go. People are thrilled when you try to speak their language.

We had no trouble with the air conditioning. There were ceiling fans in the rooms and we didn't need to use the AC. All in all this was our very best trip.

• Liked — Beautiful setting
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2008

This is a really neat hotel and the rooms are amazing. It's very quaint and I loved the fact that there are so few suites so it was peaceful and relaxing. We were in #6 so we could stay on our patio and read, or we spent a lot of time by the pool as well. The bath was great and the bed was comfortable. We stayed at Hotel Mandarina for 2 nights and Issimo for 3 nights, which was the perfect mix of price and location. We had great meals at the restaurant (very good steak) and it was reasonably priced. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay there again but a few things I should point out that might help those in the decision-making phase....

Breakfast got old after the first three days because the menu is limited. But it was good each time and that wasn't really a big deal, just thought I'd mention it. The staff was great but English was not as good as other places so I wasn't sure if they understood our requests all the time (more so w/ the waitstaff than the concierge). We never had issues with the fact that the pool was small and basically has two "good" seats, but the lower deck is not as good as the upper deck (it's more undercover and no view) so I'm glad the upper was always available for us. The location is great because it feels secluded, but keep in mind it's about a mile up a dusty road to get back into town which is about a $6 cab ride each time. We walked most of the time which was fine for us, but you definitely work up a sweat when you walk.

The one thing that brings my rating from a 5 to a 4 was that our air conditioner in our room was extremely LOUD to the point where I really couldn't sleep very well. We tried cranking it up until we went to sleep and then turning it off, but it got hot in the middle of the night so we'd have to turn it on for a bit to cool things down. I never said anything to the staff, until I left I included in my feedback sheet, so maybe there was something wrong with it and it could have been fixed.

In summary, although there were a few quirks I really felt like we were in a luxurious place with the bath, patio and view. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

-Elizabeth

• Liked — The room and view
  • Disliked — Air conditioner
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elizabeth123-TRIP
elena_sinegl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2008

My husband and I had a gorgeous, most stress-free wedding organized by the staff of Issimo Suites 3 weeks ago.
Our stay was absolutely perfect. Presidential Suite is huge - 2 storeys and has its own kitchen, 2 giant bathrooms with a jacuzzi, sundeck, terrace and a private pool overlooking the ocean. Rooms and the entire hotel are beautifully decorated and kept spotless. Issimo restaurant is also awesome - that is where we had the reception dinner. Good food and service.
Away from the busy street yet minutes away from Manuel Antonio national park and hundreds of restaurants, Issimo Suites is truly and amazing place. Staff are friendly and extremely helpful and accomodating. There is a small beach about 7min (walk) away from the hotel and there is a shuttle provided for those that would like to go to the manuel antonio beach (10 min drive).
The Spa at Issimo is also a great experience. . most people that were staying at the hotel at the same time as us actually EXTENDED their stay!
We are definitely coming back next year.
BIG thank you to everyone at issimo for planning our wedding and being so patient and accomodating.
See you next year!
Elena and Max

• Liked — amazing view and suite
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2008

My wife had extremely high hopes when we stayed at the Issimo Suites (because of the great reviews from Trip Advisor) in early February, but unfortunately, it did not come close to living up to those expectations.
First, the good: There is a fantastic view from every room of the jungle and the ocean. The rooms look exactly like the pictures, they are open with a jacuzzi in the middle of the room. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast was very good, and dinner was great and reasonably priced. Edgar was helpful in arranging different activities for us like a sailboat/snorkeling trip and a canopy zip line tour. I highly recommend doing both activities.
We ate lunch there at about 1:30 the first day we arrived, and we were joined by about 10 monkeys. They left fruit for the monkeys, so they all hung out with us. It was amazing.

We had some major problems though. First, we didn't have any hot water to take a shower the first night we got there. It took a long time to get the hot water to work. After a long day at the beach, my wife and I wanted to relax in the jacuzzi. Once again though, the hot water wasn't working. It literally took us over 2 hours to partially fill up the jacuzzi. They lost our dinner reservation one night, and we had to wait a very long time to eat.

I was able to live with all of those issues, but on our last night things got much worse. Our air conditioner stopped working at around 10:30 at night. I tried to fix it, but couldn't. I went down to the front desk area, and got some people to work on it. We didn't hhave the air conditioner working untill close to 1 AM. We had also requested a wake up for that next morning. We had to catch a flight from Quepos to San Jose, so we really needed to wake up on time. Luckily for us, my wife woke up to go to the bathroom in the morning and noticed that it was 30 mintues later then when we requested the wake up call.

I have never been so angry at a hotel as I was my last day, and for the first time that I ever traveled, I asked to get some money back and complained. Edgar agreed took off $300 from our bill, which I though was fair but my wife still expected more.

I really wanted to love the Issimo Suites. It really could have been a fantastic stay. Judging from everyone else's reviews, we probably just got very unlucky on our stay. We will never stay there again, but I don't think our stay was typical.

Jason and Heather
Westchester, NY

• Liked — The view was amazing, and it was great seeing all of the monkeys.
  • Disliked — Our air conditioner broke, we had trouble with hot water, and they didn't follow through with a wake up call.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jasonkl24
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2008

Wished we would have stayed here longer. Our room was on a lower level floor so we did not have the same amazing view others did. Very impressive rooms. Great night of sleep. Well worth it if you have the money.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — road getting there
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2008

My wife and I recently had the wonderful experience of staying at Issimo Suites. The trip was a getaway to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary and I wanted it to be special.... Let me tell you, it was amazing! The staff treats you like family. The setting is very tranquil. The food was great. The Spa services were great. We actually hugged the staff goodbye when we left. It was like saying goodbye to friends or family. Get down there the first chance you get, you won't be dissapointed!

Brian & Jennifer Albury