“Felt like royalty at Issimo Suites”

Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa
Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Boston, MA
“Felt like royalty at Issimo Suites”
Reviewed 19 August 2008

My wife and I spent three nights with the Green Season Honeymoon package at the Issimo Suites this August. I think it was my favorite stay in Costa Rica!

Where to start? Well, my posting may be biased because when we showed up at the hotel, they informed me that for whatever reason we were being upgraded to from the Jacuzzi suite to the Penthouse Jacuzzi Suite. I danced in the room for thirty minutes before we unpacked because it was so beautiful. The Penthouse Jacuzzi Suite is all about luxury, great TV, beautiful wrap around couch, beautiful HUGE bed etc. A private jacuzzi for two and nice large shower. There was also a private balcony, but probably my favorite part was that one wall is entirely window, looking out northwest over the pacific ocean.

So the room was marvelous, and a great thing about the hotel was that the staff made you feel like royalty. They all know who you are, and everyone from the front desk to the cleaning people are very gentle and kind. Particularly endearing were the waiters in the restaurant - I just appreciated their service so much and loved them. (Give them an extra big tip for me if you decide to go!)

I received a call the first morning from Angel, the man at the front desk, letting me know their were monkeys on the property. I scurried down and got to watch some white-faced monkeys romping around the rails. It was my first encounter and I greatly appreciated it!

We were able to book a number of tours through the hotel and they provided pool or beach towels whenever we needed them. It is a short distance from Manuel Antonio, and about an equal distance from Quepos. From our experience, I would say stay out of Quepos, and spend your time either in the Hotel or any of the establishments on the road between Quepos and Manuel Antonio.

We each enjoyed an hour long massage in the Spa, very relaxing and soothing to the skin. Also, our meals at the restaurant were a delight. It's hard to find a balance between enjoying time at the hotel and enjoying the things in the surrounding area. If for no other reason, I would recommend having dinner in the hotel to get to know the staff, you'll see them more at breakfast and they're a pleasure.

On leaving they even gave us a little gift of chocolates - it was a nice little extra. An example of the kindness of the staff: we had to leave at 5:30 in the morning to get our flight in San Jose on time, I mentioned this in regards to checking out the night before, and they arranged for someone to come in (way) early to prepare us fruit and toast to take in the car. I appreciated it deeply and hope I'll have a chance to return to Issimo Suites.

• Liked — The amazing service, beautiful rooms, personal treatment, interesting opportunites
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank somuchjackson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Hebrew first
SC/OH
Reviewed 8 August 2008

Issimo has a residence-like feel with some resort amenities, like some spa services (with limited hours) and excellend breakfast and dinner quality food. There was even dancing one night, and the dancers worked hard to get you involved! The customer service was very good and the staff were very pleasant to work with and helpful. Small place, so very private, and the room was clean and nice with a stunning view. Pool isn't as pretty as appeared in the photos, but there were lots of good things about this sweet inn. The town of Quepos, which we came through on our way, is much more quaint than it first appears--the people were very nice to us. We loved the Manuel Antonio area though, and would have spent more time there!

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — the road condition in and out to the inn
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 21 July 2008

My wife and I enjoyed a lovely week at Issimo for our honeymoon. It is a very small, quiet hotel and made for a perfect getaway. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. When we needed or asked for anything, it was taken care of right away. They really made us feel special and they helped make it a perfect honeymoon. The rooms are spacious and have wonderful views of the ocean and jungle. We loved being in a small hotel where we didn't feel like a number, as opposed to a larger resort. We were on a first name basis with nearly all the staff. And though small, anything we needed was right there. We were able to book all our activities (canopy tour, rafting, etc.) right at the front desk and the tour operators would come pick us up there. The included breakfast is very good, with choices from the traditional gallo pinto to an American breakfast with bacon and eggs. I think the only downside is the pool, which is relatively small. This didn't bother us very much since neither my wife nor I spend too much time sitting by the pool. But something to consider for those that do. Overall, I would highly recommend Issimo Suites.

• Liked — Quiet, Relaxing, Friendly, Comfortable, Great Views
  • Disliked — Pool
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We stayed here for 5 days on our honeymoon in one of the penthouse suites. We ate dinner 2 times at the hotel and had a light lunch once as well. We also took advantage of some of the spa services.

Overall this is a very nice small hotel (Only 8 rooms). The staff was very professional and always very nice. The penthouse suites are very spacious and are kept extremely clean with extraordinary views. We also had a private balcony which was a nice touch.

While the menu was not huge, the food was very good and reasonably priced for a higher-end hotel. Their desserts were not the best but entrees were tasty.

Our biggest criticisms were the hotel's proximity to the beach and their awful, overpriced drinks. (Both alcoholic and NA). You are better off checking out some of the nicer restaurants nearer to town.

Also they do not have any alarm clocks and the front desk occasionally forgot to call for wake up calls or called late. It is also worth noting that their website is slightly misleading-They no longer have a trail to their "private cove." The beach they direct you to is almost a 1/2 mile hike down to a public beach and a tough walk back uphill. However they do offer a free shuttle to and from Manuel Antonio Beach twice a day, which is very nice.

Overall our stay was great. If you are looking for a small quiet hotel that caters to you, this is good choice.

• Liked — Room and View
  • Disliked — Proximity to beach and town (it is a little too far)
New York, NY
Reviewed 8 July 2008

The hotel was lovely. We booked another place for part of our 8 days in Costa Rica and were thoroughly disappointed. At the last minute we asked if Issimo Suites had availability, and luckily they did! The hotel was very accomodating throughout the ordeal.

The view was lovely of the Costa Rican coast with monkeys climbing all over the resort. It is a quiet hotel that is great for honeymoons (though maybe less great for young families). The service is friendly and very accomodating for resolving issues or booking reservations for restaurants and activities, despite a small language barrier at times,.

The rooms are beautiful, clean and spacious. We watched the sunset every night and also enjoyed the pool and nearby beaches. I highly recommend Issimo Suites. My stay could not have been better.

• Liked — Beautiful Rooms
  • Disliked — Roads to get there
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
saginaw, MI
Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed here b/c our first choice hotel was sold out for the 1st night of our vacation.

Issimo was 3x the cost of the other hotel we stayed at in Manuel Antonio. The room was awesome! It was like a high end hotel in the US. We did not need this much luxury. I felt bad about filling up the huge tub as it would take a LOT of water and normally in CR we are trying to conserve resources. I am posting photos of the room. We flew in from San Jose and getting a connection was a real trick. My plan was to be at ISSIMO to enjoy a fabulous sunset by we missed it by minutes!

We were served a refreshing drink upon arrival, it was really great. There were not too many people at the hotel and the service at the restaurant was top notch. It was HOT outside, we ate in the open air, there were fans, it was very romantic. Food was terriffic but portions small. Salad = yuck. Produce of this nature seems hard to come by in CR. Beef and shrimp were very good.

Woke up in the AM and had the front desk call us a cab to our next destination. Walked down a very steep hill / incline to the beach area and it was deserted and beautiful. Yes it was only 7 AM!

Used the free internet service to check e mail and book a domestic flight to Arenal. Hotel pool is small but nice. There is construction to one side, but it did not impinge on our stay.

Room was super clean, snacks and drinks in the fridge. Tons of closet space. I imaging if we had stayed longer we would need to cab or catch a ride of some sort all the way to the beach. Views are spectacular, you are on top of the entire area!

• Liked — ++ Luxe
  • Disliked — far from beach
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed 6 July 2008

My Husband and I went to Manuel Antonio and Issimo Suites at the end of April into May and stayed for 7 days. We had a wonderful time. Pura Vida!

The Hotel

The hotel itself is beautifully appointed and romantic. They are in the process of switching their focus from a "family hotel" (which it is not) to a romantic boutique hotel for couples. The staff at this hotel was awesome. Edgar was quite helpful at the front desk with making plans for outings and transportation. The wait staff was attentive, respectful and fun. Everyone is on a bit of "CR time" which means that things take a little longer to get but you are on vacation so just chill out and enjoy your time and view in this fabulous country. We stayed in unit number 7 (a junior suite on the bottom level) and found it to be perfect for our needs. I love the fact that the tub and shower are essentially in the room with you. I took at bath filled with flowers that the cleaning staff had left in the tub and watched the sun set into the Pacific. Pretty cool. A lot of people don't like the WC situation at this hotel. I only saw our room but ours was fairly "private" and didn't prove to be a problem for us. If you are shy about going to the bathroom in front of people or are just weirded out in general then this is probably not the hotel for you. The rooms were always clean and they left flowers and flower arangements in the room for us which was lovely. I felt very safe at this hotel. We met the owner who was very nice and gave us a tour of the Presidential suite where he and his son were staying. He is a unique individual but is really have a GREAT time living in CR. The stone work is wonderful and the carvings that were done by local indians are beautiful. The pool was deep, cool, and refreshing and it was pretty nice after a hot day of hiking to come back, jump in and get a Bavaria light and relax. Some of the White-faced monkeys come around at sunset and visit. They drink out of the pool and if you leave a bananna out for them, they will come right up on the deck and hang out while eating it. SO AWESOME!

The Food

The included breakfast at the hotel is pretty good. The coffee obviously rocks and the Tico with scrambled eggs really hit the spot and gave me energy for the day. Black beans and rice for breakfast is about the best thing going so enjoy! The dinner/lunches were not quite as good. The food was just average and I thought overpriced. We found this to be true in almost all of the restaurants. Don't expect to come here and have it be cheap. We ended up eating out of the hotel more often than we ate there. We really liked eating at La Cantina, Ronny's Place, La Hacienda and my favorite was a little BBQ stand down at the Manuel Antonio beach. You can get a quarter chicken, red beans and rice, avacado slice, pasta salad, tomato slices, and plantains for about $5. I was in LOVE with this meal.

The Spa

We did each get a massage on our last day there and mine was very good but my husband's was not as good according to him. The spa in general was nice and I am really into the showers being a part of the rooms. it was a welcome reprieve from the hot activities of CR.

The Beach Cove

We did walk down to the Playa Biesanz and it is a HIKE up and down hill. Nothing is easy to get to in this town but at least you can burn off some of those calories that you are ingesting. At first we were a little nervous walking down to the beach and thought that we were in the wrong place b/c there is a house by the beach and dogs are barking when you get down there. Once we got there and settled in and relaxed, we realized how beautiful it is. I snorkled one day with some locals who helped me find the rock where the fish are. It was scary but pretty awesome. There is also a little stand where you can get drinks or food and rent snorkel equipment. It is more of a local scene than the main Manuel Antonio beach.

Activities

We went to the Manuel Antonio park 2 days out of the 7. We had a guided tour one day (SO WORTH IT) and then went back and did hiking and went to the beaches a second day. We saw White Faced Caputian, Squirrel, and Howler monkeys. We saw 2 and 3-toed Sloths. We saw lots of birds and lizards and insects and even some HUGE rodents. Monekys are THE BEST! We also booked an ATV tour through the hotel that was one of our favorite activites to do. It was about 40 minutes outside of Quepos but seeing the jungle and swimming in a waterfall was awesome. You also got to see some of the "real" CR and how people really live. Manuel Antonio is called the Beverly Hills of CR and is not how or where people live.

All in all, once we settled in and stopped trying to get Manuel Antonio to conform to the very narrow, sterilized standards of beauty that we are normally presented with on vacation and in life, the natural beauty of Costa Rica emerged and stole my heart. I would come back to this country to see more and more. The people are lovely and very friendly and I hope that everyone reading this has as great of a time as we did.

• Liked — The privacy and staff
  • Disliked — the distance to other activities and lack of bar
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple