“Great birding guide...highly recommended”

Birding Costa Rica - Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Birding Costa Rica provides tour services with the highest levels of customer satisfaction. Johan Fernandez will share the beauty of nature and birds on Costa Rica and help those birdwatchers from different parts of the world who want to visit Costa Rica and do birdwatching, so he is ready to respond those questions to make your trip more successful.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great birding guide...highly recommended”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have used the bird guiding services of Johan on several occasions down in Costa Rica beginning in December 2012 when I was referred to him by the staff at Rio Magnolia Lodge for a day long trip up to San Gerado de Dota. Johan met me at the lodge and we made the few hour drive up into the mountains and spent the entire day there adding one lifer after another. We had great views of so many species and Johan used his contacts to find some of my target species including stunning looks at a couple Resplendent Quetzals. It was a fabulous birding day with a fabulous guide. I also hired Johan for a morning of birding around the grounds of the Rio Magnolia Lodge which once again provided a memorable morning of birding. Another trip down to Costa Rica last December found me using his services once again up in the San Gerado de Dota region and once again it was more great birding. Johan is a fantastic guide who has an intimate knowledge of the bird life throughout Costa Rica and can identify most any species with just a quick look at it or hearing a brief vocalization. Not only does he provide great guiding services but he also has a great ethic concerning the birds of Costa Rica and has spent time researching the bird life at various locations around Costa Rica. Beyond his guiding expertise he is a genuinely nice guy who always seems to be in a good mood. I cannot recommend Johan highly enough and I guarantee you will not be disappointed with his guiding regardless of whether you book him for a day or a week, and no matter what part of Costa Rica you visit.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Larry T

Bridgewater, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Carara Day - Excellent!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We were travelling in Costa Rica and as avid bird watchers, we had heard Carara NP was an excellent site. Our experience is it is very helpful to have a local guide to assist with finding birds both by sight and sound, and Johan F was super! We met at 5:40 am in Quepos, birded up the road to Carara, did one hike in the park and quite a bit of road birding. He was very knowledgeable about all aspects of natural history with his university training in botany, and he was great for finding birds by sight and sound. He also showed us white ghost bats at roost! He also gave us excellent advice about how to find a King Vulture on our own the next day. Johan was very flexible, we are not the kind of birders that check off and run to the next bird, we like to look and listen and hear the life history of species. Johan was a wealth of information about the birds, areas, trees, butterflies, and funny - on of his best of the days is this quote, "Costa Rica has many mushrooms, most edible only once!" We were only able to be out with Johan one day, basically 12 hours, and we wished we had been able to do another day with him! Our day pushed to 110 species seen or heard, and it was a great experience. Johan is also the coordinator of his local Christmas Bird Count, so he will know the birds of all seasons in Costa Rica. Pura Vida!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Robyn P
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

II had arranged a birding tour with Johan via the internet as I was planning our family vacation in Jaco Costa Rica this past December 2013. For my birthday my wife and son join joined me and we had the honor of spending a full day birding with Johan Fernandez. It was an honor because rarely does one get to spend so much time with such a skilled and accomplished guide and birder. His ability to locate and identify birds continually amazed us as we identified 122 species in that one day. He took his time to explain and point out the birds to us as this was a new experience for all of us. His skills also go beyond just identifying every bird call and flash of feathers. His knowledge and enthusiasm of his native country was contagious. While we just met Johan that one day, he felt like family by the end of the day. He exceeded all of our expectations. I highly recommend Johan and won't hesitate to use him again when we return to Costa Rica. Myles and Sue, Alex Hurlburt - Wausau WI

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Myles H
Oregon
“Best Birding Experience”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had the opportunity to spend 8 days birding various locations of Costa Rica with Johan . He exceeded expectations in every way. It was an unforgettable experience and the best birding trip I've ever been on. Johan was quick and efficient in finding all of our target species. His ability to identify birds by just a flash of feathers or a quick call was uncanny. 310 species total! What made the trip so enjoyable, however, was genuine love of all natural things in Costa Rica. His enthusiam was contagious and we felt like we were learning at every moment all while maintaining a professional manner. I do not hesitate to recommend Johan to anyone!
Paul J.