“A wonderful resort experience”

Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, Georgia
“A wonderful resort experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My partner and I are new to the idea of staying at resorts--we often like to rent a condo or cabin and fend for ourselves. But we splurged and decided to go for the full-service vacation experience on our most recent trip to Costa Rica, and we are so glad that we did! Arenas del Mar was the final stop on our trip, and it was a perfect way to finish our week. The site itself is beautiful--breathtaking views at breakfast and dinner, a gorgeous secluded beach, rooms tucked into the greenspace to take advantage of shade and the local wildlife (monkeys made a regular trip by our balcony every day around 3:30). The staff is perfection, from check-in to check-out. They are professional, friendly, and will help you with anything you need. It felt weird and self-indulgent to have to call for a golf cart to pick us up for dinner or breakfast (the property is steep as it slopes down to the seashore), but it never seemed like it was any trouble and the service was quick and seemingly effortless. We had an early check-out on our last day, and the staff arranged for us to have full breakfasts and coffee to go before we departed! The food at breakfast and dinner is quite good (I especially loved the breakfasts) and the "Tico Bar" with free snacks is a great idea. The only suggestion I would make is to have the beachfront bar open a bit later (past 5)--it would let people have a different, more casual dinner option if they chose to do so. But that is a small quibble with a great place--a place I would love to return to in the future!

Room Tip: If you are going to spend most of your time on the beach, don't splurge on the big rooms (the on...
1 Thank TMaxATL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We recently returned from a 2 night stay at Arenas del Mar. The road down to the hotel is a little scary if you are driving yourself (very steep), but once you arrive the fears are soon forgotten. You and your luggage are whisked away via golf cart from the arrival area up a steep, curvy road. Our driver was very friendly and pointed out everything to us, trails, paths to the beach, restaurants, wildlife etc. Once we arrived at the top, where the hotel itself is actually located, we entered a beautiful breezy lobby where we were greeted with cool towels and a welcome drink. Our room (603b) was on the smaller side, but was on the third floor and had a gorgeous view, as well as a wet bar (stocked with complimentary beverages and snacks) and comfy chairs on our balcony. If you don't plan on spending loads of time in your room, then this type room is more than sufficient. Lovely huge shower with outstanding water pressure. We were lulled to sleep each night by the sound of ocean waves. Sigh. We had no problem with our tours picking us up from the hotel. We booked our own tours through Manuel Antonio Expeditions and El Sanctuario Canopy Tours and were very happy with their service! We had an extremely early morning pickup and the hotel was so accommodating, they prepared us a full breakfast at 5:45 am, well before the restaurant opened. The food is very good at breakfast (included) and the dinners were outstanding. The restaurant is designed around the existing trees, so both nights we saw a raccoon climbing up and down. Highly recommend the charred octopus appetizer and the snook (river fish) entree. So good we ordered the same thing both nights. Can't say enough about the friendly staff. Oh, and if you visit the National Park, you can easily walk back to the hotel, which is about 20-25 minutes straight down the beach. You do have to walk up and down paths to reach either beach (public down one side, private with restaurant and pool down the other side).

Room Tip: Recommend springing for the ocean view. The larger rooms have private jacuzzis on the large deck...
2 Thank texfoodmom
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Let me start by saying that I have traveled the world and stayed in many resorts over the past 30 years. I can honestly say that the level of service from the staff at Arenas Del Mar along with the beautiful resort, is by far the best I have experienced, EVER. There was never a time where any staff member was not more than pleasant to speak with and work with. I am pretty sure they don't know the meaning of "no" or "we cant do that". They treated us like royalty every day at all times. They accommodated us for everything we needed including having a physician come to our room and provide stitches to my mother when she accidentally fell and cut her head on one of our excursions. The rooms were fabulous. Well maintained, clean, and exceptionally comfortable. There is a private beach with beautiful rocks and waves. There are monkeys and other animals on the property. They were fun to watch and if you couldn't find what you wanted to see, the staff would take you to find one. The food at Arenas Del Mar was exceptional. Fresh fruit at breakfast every morning along with an unbelievable menu. The drinks are made well and you don't feel like you are being cheated with watered down sugary drinks like some other resorts I have visited. If you want to leave and experience Costa Rica, the staff will make everything happen for you and provided us with fantastic guides and trips. We could not have asked for a better vacation and we will certainly be back. I highly recommend Arenas Del Mar.

1 Thank T_Gupton
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was my third trip to Manuel Antonio, and Arenas del Mar is by far the best place to stay! It's pricey but it is really worth it. When I first contacted Francinie in reservations, I knew I made the right choice. She handled all of our requests and answered all of our questions promptly and professionally. All the reviews talk about the amazing staff and they lived up to all of the accolades! Friendly, professional, hard working and efficient. The rooms are immaculate, the laundry service was perfect and the complimentary mini bar is a plus. All the buildings have their own advantages but all blend into the property and are visited by the incredible wildlife. We spent the entire week at Arenas and saw all three monkey species, sloth, Fiery-Bellier Aracari, Mot Mot, a variety of tanagers, woodpeckers, Tent Maker Bats, crabs, lizards and even a Kinkajou!!!…seriously a dream check list of sightings and all within the first 2 days!! There are 38 rooms but it never felt crowded. We quite often had the pool to ourselves and the beaches felt private and safe, too. The food is great, and is served with a smile. Luis and Harold remembered our likes and dislikes and made us feel like we were regulars at our favorite restaurant. Georgette is a great bartender and accommodated any request we had for a unique drink. Ersel is a extraordinary nature guide. His enthusiasim was contagious and he pointed out animals I would have walked right by without him. He even showed us a Kinkajou and a Potoo! Rodbin seemed to do everything at Arenas and was always there to take care of us. Everyone, including Andres, Allen, Sergio, Pedro and Heiner, all really made our trip special. Seriously, the entire staff work so hard, they are there after you go to bed and are in the restaurant first thing in the morning. I enjoyed talking to them on our golf cart rides or while watching the ever present sloth at reception. Kudos to the people that hire and train the staff because EVERYONE is great. I recommend you take the time to talk with them as they take pride in talking about their country and it is a great way to learn more about their culture.

If I could make a suggestion to the hotel, the only things I would recommend them to consider is add some appetizers to their Happy Hour and also have a Happy Hour down at the Playitas bar. The dinner menu does feel limited if you spend more than a few days so a daily special would be nice. Also, a beach BBQ once or twice a week would be nice….some fish tacos at their private beach would be perfect!

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone going to Costa Rica as it has something for everyone. I look forward to going back as soon as possible.

Pura VIda!

2 Thank NOSNED
So. Cal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Beautiful hotel. Staff was very attentive (even when the FIFA match was on). This a very unique hotel in that it's actually in part of the Manuel Antonio park. Sloths, howler monkeys & raccoons everywhere. Our first night we were in the living room with the kids and the sliding glass door opens up and in comes this raccoon! Not like the ones here. This little guy just checked us out and left, without closing the door behind him. We were warned about the monkeys. We had a howler monkey do a face plant just outside of our room. Poor guy, he was swinging from a branch and the next branch snapped sending him onto what very little concrete they have there.
The room was wonderful, huge bathroom with a shower that makes you feel like your under a waterfall. Complimentary "Tico" bar in the room (has chips, water, juice). The balcony was huge with an outdoor bathtub with jets, large sofa on one side, table with chairs in the middle and 2 lounge chairs on the other side. The balcony kind of wraps around the room giving you beautiful views, of the ocean and rainforest, from everywhere but the shower!
This property has two beaches, both wonderful. Strong currents, so watch the water before you go in. Huge waves the last day we were there (husbands IPro got some good shots when he got caught in the spin cycle of a wave). They have boards there and you can get lessons. Golf carts take you to and from the beach.
Really can't say enough good things about this place!

1 Thank Laura A
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to CR and we loved it. Arenas del Mar exceeded our expectations in every way. We had an ocean view suite in building 6 and it was spectacular. Clean, comfortable and spacious especially the bathroom. The daily Tico snacks and juices were much appreciated. The staff was very friendly , remembered our names and generally went out of their way to make our trip memorable. One evening we took advantage of their shuttle and went into town for dinner at Ronny's. Our driver was Robin and he told us to have the restaurant call them when we were ready and that he got off at 10:00. We went to dinner with another couple and were enjoying drinks and basically closed the place down. We forgot about calling for our ride but sure enough there was Robin back to get us .
The property is absolutely stunning and you will see plenty of monkeys , sloths , iguanas , crabs etc. One morning we were woken up by Howler monkeys right outside our room. The beach access is fabulous and both beach areas were great. The food in both restaurants was excellent and you must try the breakfast burrito.
We will definitely return to Arenas del Mar and next time bring our two teenagers.

Room Tip: We had a 2nd floor suite and the view was superb.
4 Thank Elru70
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We just returned from an incredible 7 day stay at Arenas del Mar. I traveled with my husband and 3 children ages 10-16. This resort truly has the best of everything. First of all, the location is fabulous. Located just minutes away from Manuel Antonio national park, there are 3 species of monkeys, several sloths, toucans, iguanas, and more on the hotel grounds. The resort offers access to 2 beaches, and the rooms are perched on the hills to offer spectacular ocean views. Expect to walk up a few flights of stairs for the best views (it’s worth it, and you’ll get some exercise). For those not inclined to walk up and down the hills, golf carts are always available to take guests from place to place.

The grounds are amazingly lush and full of wildlife. When we arrived, 2 large sloths and a baby were up in the trees by the reception desk. On several occasions, we were able to watch troops of squirrel and capuchin monkeys traveling through the trees. Definitely sign up for the evening nature walk! The resort guide, Ersel, will lead you through jungle trails to see bats, crabs, spiders, and other wildlife.

The rooms are clean and spacious. While I would not describe them as ultra-luxurious, I found them to be very upscale for an eco-friendly resort. The showers are enormous! The outdoor decks are very large and feature jacuzzi tubs. Each room has a mini-fridge with complimentary snacks and juices. International phone calls are free from the land lines, and wifi signal is excellent in the guest rooms and pool areas. I particularly enjoyed the set-up for 2 adults and 3 kids. We stayed in rooms 503A&B, so we had 2 adjoining suites. We simply left the 2 interior doors open to make one big living area. We had 2 private bedrooms with king beds and huge bathrooms, as well as a living room with a couch which pulled out to a full bed. Since the living area had its own bathroom, we had 3 full bathrooms in total (a HUGE plus when traveling with kids).

Since the food at the resort was incredible, we felt no need to travel into town for meals. Breakfast is included and features wonderful fresh fruits, amazing coffee, and just about anything you’d like made to order. Lunch is served by the lower pool/beach area. This was the kids’ favorite meal as the lunch menu is more casual and the atmosphere very laid back. The dinner menu was my personal favorite, with sophisticated offerings of fresh fish and local produce. I was REALLY impressed with the quality of the food. I have a few food allergies, which can make travelling a nightmare, and the staff never let me down.

One of the best things about the resort is the location. Since the property is waterfront, guests can enjoy both the beach and the jungle. Travel time to activities outside the resort range from a few minutes (to the national park) to 30 minutes (to zip lines) to 45 minutes (to horseback riding or white water rafting). We had an absolute blast enjoying the many excursions offered. My family enjoys lounging by the pool but also loves adventure, so this really was the perfect vacation.

Finally, what really makes Arenas del Mar special is the staff. I have never met such a warm, kind, and friendly group of people. So many thanks to Heiner, Laura, Allan, Ersel, Angel, Luis, and everyone who made our visit so wonderful. I only wish I could remember everyone’s name, because I am forgetting so many others (I’m sorry!) who went out of their way to make us happy. I hope we can visit again soon.

Pura Vida!

Room Tip: We really enjoyed 503. I think it has the best views in the resort.
3 Thank Pecadora