Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
La Mansion Inn(Manuel Antonio)
View Hotel
Makanda by the Sea(Manuel Antonio)
View Hotel
Parador Resort and Spa(Manuel Antonio)
View Hotel
Mango Moon Villa(Manuel Antonio)
View Hotel
La Mariposa Hotel(Manuel Antonio)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Arboleda(Manuel Antonio)
View Hotel
Karahe Beach Hotel(Manuel Antonio)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Costa Verde(Manuel Antonio)
1,977 results
All reviewsgolf cartplayitas beachocean breeze suitetortilla makingprivate beachsustainability tourlocal snackshalloween crabsmirador restaurantcosta ricacart driverstortillaslunch restaurantlower poolnational parkpura vidamain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids 13yrs & 15yrs) stayed here for 5 nights in July, 2014. We had a wonderful experience and I would absolutely recommend this hotel to others! Our rooms were beautiful, the staff was so friendly and nice, the beach is amazing, the food wonderful, and we saw more animals here than we did at the Manuel Antonio National Park! Monkeys, sloths, iguanas, birds, etc - they live in this resort and it is really a cool place. It is close to town and excursions - we had busy mornings out doing things and spent our afternoons on the gorgeous beach watching monkeys in the trees. Such a great place to stay! Our only issue was the wifi was slow, so if you are planning on doing any work (unfortunately we always have work on vacation), just know it will take longer than you expect.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle8879
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My partner and I are new to the idea of staying at resorts--we often like to rent a condo or cabin and fend for ourselves. But we splurged and decided to go for the full-service vacation experience on our most recent trip to Costa Rica, and we are so glad that we did! Arenas del Mar was the final stop on our trip, and it was a perfect way to finish our week. The site itself is beautiful--breathtaking views at breakfast and dinner, a gorgeous secluded beach, rooms tucked into the greenspace to take advantage of shade and the local wildlife (monkeys made a regular trip by our balcony every day around 3:30). The staff is perfection, from check-in to check-out. They are professional, friendly, and will help you with anything you need. It felt weird and self-indulgent to have to call for a golf cart to pick us up for dinner or breakfast (the property is steep as it slopes down to the seashore), but it never seemed like it was any trouble and the service was quick and seemingly effortless. We had an early check-out on our last day, and the staff arranged for us to have full breakfasts and coffee to go before we departed! The food at breakfast and dinner is quite good (I especially loved the breakfasts) and the "Tico Bar" with free snacks is a great idea. The only suggestion I would make is to have the beachfront bar open a bit later (past 5)--it would let people have a different, more casual dinner option if they chose to do so. But that is a small quibble with a great place--a place I would love to return to in the future!

Room Tip: If you are going to spend most of your time on the beach, don't splurge on the big rooms (the ones ending in "A") unless you need the space for family and such--the "B" rooms are smaller but still very nice and probably more than enough room for most people once you factor in the sizable deck/patio.
1  Thank TMaxATL
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We recently returned from a 2 night stay at Arenas del Mar. The road down to the hotel is a little scary if you are driving yourself (very steep), but once you arrive the fears are soon forgotten. You and your luggage are whisked away via golf cart from the arrival area up a steep, curvy road. Our driver was very friendly and pointed out everything to us, trails, paths to the beach, restaurants, wildlife etc. Once we arrived at the top, where the hotel itself is actually located, we entered a beautiful breezy lobby where we were greeted with cool towels and a welcome drink. Our room (603b) was on the smaller side, but was on the third floor and had a gorgeous view, as well as a wet bar (stocked with complimentary beverages and snacks) and comfy chairs on our balcony. If you don't plan on spending loads of time in your room, then this type room is more than sufficient. Lovely huge shower with outstanding water pressure. We were lulled to sleep each night by the sound of ocean waves. Sigh. We had no problem with our tours picking us up from the hotel. We booked our own tours through Manuel Antonio Expeditions and El Sanctuario Canopy Tours and were very happy with their service! We had an extremely early morning pickup and the hotel was so accommodating, they prepared us a full breakfast at 5:45 am, well before the restaurant opened. The food is very good at breakfast (included) and the dinners were outstanding. The restaurant is designed around the existing trees, so both nights we saw a raccoon climbing up and down. Highly recommend the charred octopus appetizer and the snook (river fish) entree. So good we ordered the same thing both nights. Can't say enough about the friendly staff. Oh, and if you visit the National Park, you can easily walk back to the hotel, which is about 20-25 minutes straight down the beach. You do have to walk up and down paths to reach either beach (public down one side, private with restaurant and pool down the other side).

Room Tip: Recommend springing for the ocean view. The larger rooms have private jacuzzis on the large deck. Our room was on the smaller side, and did not have the jacuzzi. No biggie!
2  Thank texfoodmom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Let me start by saying that I have traveled the world and stayed in many resorts over the past 30 years. I can honestly say that the level of service from the staff at Arenas Del Mar along with the beautiful resort, is by far the best I have experienced, EVER. There was never a time where any staff member was not more than pleasant to speak with and work with. I am pretty sure they don't know the meaning of "no" or "we cant do that". They treated us like royalty every day at all times. They accommodated us for everything we needed including having a physician come to our room and provide stitches to my mother when she accidentally fell and cut her head on one of our excursions. The rooms were fabulous. Well maintained, clean, and exceptionally comfortable. There is a private beach with beautiful rocks and waves. There are monkeys and other animals on the property. They were fun to watch and if you couldn't find what you wanted to see, the staff would take you to find one. The food at Arenas Del Mar was exceptional. Fresh fruit at breakfast every morning along with an unbelievable menu. The drinks are made well and you don't feel like you are being cheated with watered down sugary drinks like some other resorts I have visited. If you want to leave and experience Costa Rica, the staff will make everything happen for you and provided us with fantastic guides and trips. We could not have asked for a better vacation and we will certainly be back. I highly recommend Arenas Del Mar.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank T_Gupton
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was my third trip to Manuel Antonio, and Arenas del Mar is by far the best place to stay! It's pricey but it is really worth it. When I first contacted Francinie in reservations, I knew I made the right choice. She handled all of our requests and answered all of our questions promptly and professionally. All the reviews talk about the amazing staff and they lived up to all of the accolades! Friendly, professional, hard working and efficient. The rooms are immaculate, the laundry service was perfect and the complimentary mini bar is a plus. All the buildings have their own advantages but all blend into the property and are visited by the incredible wildlife. We spent the entire week at Arenas and saw all three monkey species, sloth, Fiery-Bellier Aracari, Mot Mot, a variety of tanagers, woodpeckers, Tent Maker Bats, crabs, lizards and even a Kinkajou!!!…seriously a dream check list of sightings and all within the first 2 days!! There are 38 rooms but it never felt crowded. We quite often had the pool to ourselves and the beaches felt private and safe, too. The food is great, and is served with a smile. Luis and Harold remembered our likes and dislikes and made us feel like we were regulars at our favorite restaurant. Georgette is a great bartender and accommodated any request we had for a unique drink. Ersel is a extraordinary nature guide. His enthusiasim was contagious and he pointed out animals I would have walked right by without him. He even showed us a Kinkajou and a Potoo! Rodbin seemed to do everything at Arenas and was always there to take care of us. Everyone, including Andres, Allen, Sergio, Pedro and Heiner, all really made our trip special. Seriously, the entire staff work so hard, they are there after you go to bed and are in the restaurant first thing in the morning. I enjoyed talking to them on our golf cart rides or while watching the ever present sloth at reception. Kudos to the people that hire and train the staff because EVERYONE is great. I recommend you take the time to talk with them as they take pride in talking about their country and it is a great way to learn more about their culture.

If I could make a suggestion to the hotel, the only things I would recommend them to consider is add some appetizers to their Happy Hour and also have a Happy Hour down at the Playitas bar. The dinner menu does feel limited if you spend more than a few days so a daily special would be nice. Also, a beach BBQ once or twice a week would be nice….some fish tacos at their private beach would be perfect!

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone going to Costa Rica as it has something for everyone. I look forward to going back as soon as possible.

Pura VIda!