“Thumbs Up for Zipline / Thumbs Down for Horseback Riding and Hotel Accomodations”

Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo
Ranked #1 of 2 Miramar B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I,too, recently booked a zipline excursion with Adventure Park and had the choice of riding a horse or taking a 4x4 ride to the beginning of the zipline. I am definitely a novice horseback rider, as are probably most of the ziplining guests to Adventure Park. As we stood on the balcony which overlooks the corral and has a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean beyond Punta Arenas, we watched as the tour guides saddled about 20 horses. Several of our group chose to take the 4x4 ride, rather than the horses. I was among the 19 who had chosen to ride a horse. The tour guides sized us up and asked if we we had ever ridden a horse before and then assigned the horses to each of us. I thought my horse looked like a pretty nice horse, but of course, what do I know? I was the last guest to leave the corral,with a guide bringing up the rear on a horse which was startlingly skinny. Now, the first part of the journey to the beginning of the zipline wasn't terrain that I had expected. I had expected a trail ride and we were walking our horses up a steep concrete road that was a bit slick that morning. After that the roads were still extremely steep and many places were tough for the horses to walk due to the extremely rocky conditions. As I said, I am a novice horseback rider, but I did not feel many of the horses were in good enough condition to be carrying riders up such steep and difficult roads.
As far as the ziplining went with Adventure Park, I have told EVERYONE it was AWESOME! I can't imagine having a better ziplining adventure anywhere!!! The guides made the adventure just that, AN ADVENTURE!!! It was truly an experience of a lifetime. Having said that, I feel Adventure Park could omit the horseback riding portion of the excursion and go totally 4 x 4 and not lose any business.
The hotel is a 1.5 star at the most, with a nice restaurant facility. It has beautiful grounds including a swimming pool and great views of the Pacific. We did spend the night. The beds in our rooms were doubles, with one of the rooms being very musty and had lots of ants. They all needed updating, but given the locality and the small size of the hotel, I don't imagine updating is cost effective for them at this time.
I, too, have pictures of horses. The saddled horse without a rider is the same horse the guide is on in the next picture. Take a look at them and decide for yourself if this last horse in the corral should have been ridden by ANYONE. You be the judge. I have always heard, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank rogersla

Reviewed 21 July 2010

Barbara and her staff make folks feel totally at home, safe and welcome.
As a "loing in the tooth" horse person I was very interested in the horseback rides.
The horses appeared to be well groomed and managed, feet trimmed and ready for mountain riding. Like their counterparts in endurance riding, they are built for hauling people and things up the mountains., I talked with Barbara about a dental solution for one horse who had a medical problem, but these mounts are steady and healthy and given good rest and nutrition. I will definitely be back for the rides and the zip lines!
Arbormont...

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank arbormont
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I returned to Hotel Vista Golfo for the third time this month. As usual, I found the accommodations more than adequate, the food excellent, the staff helpful and pleasant, and the adventure we chose -- a horseback ride up the mountain, and the 25 cable descent criss-crossing a mountain stream with 11 waterfalls -- absolutely amazing. I have been riding horses for over 50 years, and worked in a Texas stable as a teen, and have several years' experience riding in Costa Rica, where the breed of horses is smaller and skinnier than those I was familiar with, so the horses here at Hotel Golfito were not a surprise to me. Both times that I have ridden them, my mount was comparatively good. I was surprised to read the recently entered venomous report, which found everything at this resort far worse than I did. I suspect there was a strong personal bias to be so absolutely negative about a place that the overwhelming majority find to be excellent. I hope it doesn't dissuade others from going there.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank NewYorker73CostaRica
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We did not stay at this hotel but booked a huge part of our trip around this awesome zip line tour that we found on the internet. We were glad we did!!!! All 3 of us, (wife, daughter age 13, and myself) had an absolute blast! My wife was very nervous but the guides set us all at ease and she was yelling, screaming and having a great time. The horseback ride to the zip lines was also very nice. The sites are amazing!!! We were offered many zip line tours in other parts of Costa Rica but held out for this this one and boy was it worth it. I would do it again today if I could!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Max B
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Just a day trip -- not a whole stay -- but worth the review!

The guides are great - the sights are AMAZING - and we would definately recommend this to all levels of athleticism.

The food was good but the chicken was kinda grissly??? Couldnt eat that but the rest of the plate was amazing and of course the portion made up for the chicken.

The only suggestions I have -- Bring sneakers, wear lots of bug spray, and stretch really well once you are done... its been three days since our trip and I'm still really sore!

Victor is the best and the experience was truly memorable!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CapeCodBorn
Reviewed 18 May 2010

My husband and I traveled to Costa Rica for our anniversary. We were originally just going to drive to the hotel the day of our canopy tour. We decided to drive up the night before and stay at the hotel. We purchased the Gold Package - dinner upon arrival, one night in the hotel, breakfast, the canopy tour, and lunch! EXCELLANT VALUE!!! The meals were outstanding. We thought we would just get a sandwich or something for lunch after the tour but we got a full meal, an you get to choose from several items. The zip line is AMAZING!!!! We had a small group (12) so we just got to take our time. A leisurely ride on horseback and then the tour. Half way through the tour you get to stop at one of the waterfalls and swim in the pool and have some water! It was great! The staff was really good too! Special thanks to Katherine who welcomed us to the hotel and got us settled, and Walter our tour guide! He was very friendly and patient!! I hightly recommend this trip!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mckillip09
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Our team was in Costa Rica for a fashion photo shoot and we stayed at this hotel. Barbara and her team make you feel at home and were so kind and helpful to us. I would highly recommend this hotel for a family or couple trip or even a trip with friends.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miramar
Puerto Azul Boutique Resort & Marina
0 mi away
Hacienda Sassenberg
Hacienda Sassenberg
#1 of 5 in Miramar

Been to Adventure Park and Hotel Vista Golfo? Share your experiences!