“Great seafood”

Puggo's
Ranked #5 of 37 Restaurants in Montezuma
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean, Sushi, Costa Rican, International
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Puggo's Restuarant is located just off the beach in the small town of Montezuma. The owner is a world traveler who has found her home in Costa Rica. Her menu and its flavours are a direct reflection of her life experiences. From the fresh local fish to the slow cooked osobuco and moussaka, you can taste the love she has for her food. She uses a range of ingredients, from local organic chocolate to spices she brings directly from her home country of Israel. Puggo's also has a fresh sushi bar which specializes in a range of asian inspired dishes using locally caught fish and prepared right in front of your eyes. The atomsphere is friendly and relaxed and the multilingual staff is happy to recommend not only their favourite dishes but beaches as well! .
Chattanooga, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

The whole red snapper is the best I've ever had! Very friendly staff and cool atmosphere. Vegetarian friendly too. Go here!

1 Thank Liz P

• Hebrew first
Seattle, Washington
“After 4 Months of Travel, This is the Restaurant I Remember!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I have been on a global tour for almost 5 months now, spanning many parts of Central America, South America, and the Middle East. Looking back at all of the great meals we have had along the way, this place is still my favorite. All of the food was incredible and we loved the chef & her staff. I cannot recommend this place enough! Bon Appetite!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank passion_dancer
Boulder, Colorado
“Amazing!!! Best restaurant in Montezuma hands down.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Wow. This place is top notch. After a friend recommended we check it out, we went there on our second night. And third. And tried to go the fourth but they were closed (So sad!) But yes, it's that good. The first night we got the purple salmon (beet pickled salmon) which was absolutely amazing and the goat cheese kebabs which were equally as delicious. Not to mention the complimentary homemade (and HOT) herb focaccia bread that comes with each meal with a delicious pico/bruschetta type sauce on the side. Which we finished just two of us each night. So. Good. We also loved the shrimp polenta balls with multiple dipping sauces. We really wanted to try the cloud muffins and a few other dishes but when we tried to go it was a Tuesday and they were closed :( So sad. But it will be the first place I go when I return to Montezuma for sure!

Other than that, the ambiance is great, they have a nice drink selection and it's conveniently located right off the main drag. Super small little place, the service can be a little slow but there's typically only one or two people working their butts off, and trust me, it's well worth the wait. A+++ for Puggos!

• Visited March 2014
San Francisco, California
“I wish I discovered it before my last day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed in Montezuma for 3 nights, near by at Hotel Aurora. I happened to read the menu of this restaurant on the walk home from the waterfalls late one afternoon. We had previously eaten dinner around the corner at the well-known Playas de las Artistas, which was a disappointment. I wish I had found Puggo's earlier because this was definitely my best meal of my whole 10 days in Costa Rica. Don't get me wrong... I could eat a casado at a local soda every day and be happy, but it's nice to treat yourself to something fresh and unique after awhile. This place hit the spot. Great service, we got some insider tips for activities from our server, and the owner was friendly and checked in also. They serve amazing complimentary fresh baked bread and the meals were perfectly portioned and DELICIOUS. I am kicking myself for not going here more. Definitely go to PUGGO'S!

• Visited April 2014
New Rochelle, New York
“WE LOVED PUGGO'S!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We wandered there on our first night in Montezuma and went there every night of our vacation (except on Tuesday since they were closed) hee hee hee... The ambiance was cozy and warm... The staff was awesome! Fell in love with our little chef, Maya :) And the Sushi chef was awesome! We tried mostly everything on the menu and adore it all :) Drinks were fantastic as well!!! Thank you Puggo's crew for taking such good care of us :) Hope to see you guys in New York sometime :) Love & Sparkles... Mel & Ty

• Visited April 2014