“average hostel”

Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The hostel is located litteraly in the jungle. In the mornings you can observe the monkeys by lying in the hammock on the terass. The dorms are pretty small, you cannot lock the door and because of the humidity the matress and pillow are damp and smell accordingly. Breakfast is good and plenty but it's every day the same - on the website the say the menu varies daily. Conclusion: nice hostel with very nice stuff but I've been to better hostels for a lower price.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Luz en el Cielo was our favorite hostel we stayed at during our trip. The coffee/breakfast was delicious, and the staff as well as the other travelers we met were extremely friendly. There is plenty of opportunity to spot wildlife just sitting in the common outdoor areas as the hostel is literally up in the jungle. If you are even remotely active, the walk from town to the hostel is no problem.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My friend and I stayed at Luz for only 2 nights, in the dorm style rooms that are offered. We loved it there! We arrived very late at night on the bus from Paquera, and when we asked the driver, he stopped right in front of the hostel! Despite arriving later at night, we were greeted by very friendly staff and a gang of even friendlier dogs! Are room was small and rustic, (almost felt like we were at summer camp again!) but we weren't bothered at all by it. Bathrooms were exceptionally clean, but no hot water. (To be expected!) The free breakfast offered at Luz is an actual breakfast - Tico style pinto, eggs, toast, and fresh fruit! Also, if you hang out enough during the afternoon, you are sure to see (and hear!) 2 different kinds of monkeys at this place. In fact, during our stay, a fellow guest had left his water bottle on our deck, and upon coming out of my room, I was able to rescue it from being nabbed by a cute little white-faced monkey! The walk from Luz into town really isn't that bad, it only takes about 5-7 minutes or so. From Luz to the official bus stop of Montezuma is only about 10 minutes. Lots of cute little (touristy) shops and restaurants that offer a wide array of food in town. Overall, I'd say we definitely got our money's worth when we stayed at Luz!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed in one of the private cabinas at Luz en el Cielo. It was really amazing, but it was incredibly hot and there were a lot of bugs. That didn't really bother me, but it would bother some. The shower and the view were amazing! No hot water.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Prothror
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I stayed at Luz for a week and it was absolutely incredible. First of all, the staff is so insanely friendly and welcoming. You can feel free to kick it at the giant family style dining room table and get to know people from all over the world. The breakfast is incredible. Some hostels will set out a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, and some cereal, but not at Luz. You're gonna get a real authentic tico breakfast. The dorm rooms are small, but you can feel free to leave your backpack outside the room door on the porch. Luz is 100% safe, and in the week I stayed there, everyone had respect for my personal property right down to the food I bought at the grocery store. You will definitely see some monkeys and GIANT iguanas. Canela(the owner's dog) is so cute, as long as your respect her space. (She was abused as a puppy.) The bathrooms are clean. The hammocks are a good place to kick it. Luz is a great place to chill. The walk to town is not bad at all. About a 5 minute walk to the beach. Sorry- this is the section where I rush to Luz's defense in response to the post below mine:

1.) Tucking a mosquito net under your body is how one typically uses a mosquito net.

2.) You are not going to find extremely warm water in Costa Rica ANYWHERE. Trust me, I've been here for 6 months and have not found any.

3.) The incense smells nice!!

I guess I am just trying to say: if you want to travel on a shoestring, you are going to get more than your money's worth at Luz. I made a lot of good people here, and I will definitely be back.

Remember to try the local beer!! It's expensive, but definitely worth it. Earthquake IPA!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We booked this hostel at the last minute as we needed somewhere to stay when we travelled to Montezuma. If you didn't pack very light- forget it- it's about a 2km trek up a very steep hill (too close for cabs yet too far to walk). At the end of a long travel day this is the last thing I wanted to do. Once you see the sign for the hostel it's many steep steps up to the reception desk and then many more steps up to your room. I'm not a lazy person and am quite active yet it was still too much of an annoyance for me to bother with when there are many nicer places to stay down in the town on the strip. There is not actually wifi in the rooms unless you're in the dorm as I understand. The rooms themselves are very nice! looks like they have been newly renovated. Nice bathroom and shower yet no hot water- very cold in fact (tried to shower twice)! Also, the toilet didn't flush from the time we got there. Also, the mosquito nets are there but in order to keep the mosquitos away you need to tuck the net completely around you- and my friend and I both woke up with bites absolutely everywhere. It's not actually close to the beach... it's such a trek up and down the hill it's not even worth the trip down to the town. The breakfast in the morning was very good! Although masked by the nauseating incents burning in the reception area. They were helpful in booking tours however much of the info given to us was wrong (ie. tour was supposed to be a $100 deposit but when we got there it was actually $1000) and so on... for what we paid (70$) it was not worth the night's stay. I had assumed this hostel offered a/c (my fault for not double checking) but for that price there should be some sort of cooling device other than a fan when it takes that much effort just to get up to your room. By the time you get there you just feel sweaty and sticky. Not comfortable. Many better places actually near the beach for a lesser price and more amenities. Oh, and the receptionist was also very nice and polite!

Room Tip: Try the luxury room I guess. That might be helpful.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kerri b
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Finding this place was like hitting a jackpot. As a nature lover I was impressed by the location of the hostel. It's in the middle of the forrest but still very close to the town of Montezuma (maybe 100m). Abbie the owner and her boyfriend Yonni were really friendly and helpful so was the rest of the staff. I slept in a 4 bed dorm which was a bit small but since I only used it to sleep I didn't really care about it. From the balcony on the 1st floor you can relax, read a book from hostel's library or just observe the wildlife. There are groups of white faced monkeys, howler monkey families, curious white-throated magpie-jay birds, iguanas etc.. Every morning we got a really good breakfast which is prepared with love by two friendly ladies. At the reception they sell two kinds of local beer (brewed in Montezuma) which every beer lover HAS TO try. The property also offers a luxury dorm and cabins. At night there is a security guard watching the property and you can also get a free locker (deposit 20$ which you get back when you return your key) so the security is very well taken care of. I have promised the staff to come back :).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo