“BEWARE OF BITING DOG!!”

Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I went by to check out the facility in late March. My sister was speaking with reception and there was a dog lying on a nearby bench. I gently leaned in to pet him/her and was bit on my hand and bleeding within seconds! I don't think that startled the dog since I approached very slowly, but something in that creature snapped. The guy at reception was horrified but useless. My sister had to ask him for some peroxide and bandaids. I ran to the kitchen to rinse my bleeding hand. All I remembered was fangs and a growl at me before I must've closed my eyes and screamed. The other people staying there was startled by what had happened but told me that there was a sign that says not to pet the dog. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! You have a pit-bull who tends to bite people at a PUBLIC HOSTEL??! That's like making a sign to warn people to not board the sinking ship, but if it goes down. Oh well, your fault. You didnt see the sign. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. Irresponsible management.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Emstarzz
luzenelcielocr, Manager at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

We work so hard to make our hostel the way that it is. It always breaks my heart to get a review like this.

We are very sorry that Canela snapped at you. However, you didn't even stay with us, so to say, "never stay here", is not a fair statement. You were just passing by to see if one of your friends had left something from a previous stay, and disrespected us. We do have a sign, a very BIG sign warning, NOT TO PET THE DOG. She has been abused and we are doing or finest to take care of her and make sure that she does not become, "just another street dog in montezuma", and belongs to a loved home.

We are a private hostel, not a public space.We can not watch every person who comes in to the hostel to make sure that they know not to touch Canela, while sleeping, so we made a very big sign above her! (PLEASE NOTE: she is on a leash as well.)

The reason that everybody looked at you horrified when Canela, the dog snapped, is that you didn't even think before petting and strange, SLEEPING dog, with a sign right above her, stating not to touch.

Thank you for this comment. Canela no longer has a chance at Luz for the owner is kicking her out.

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

This comfy hostel with hammocks, very clean rooms and bathrooms, and a really outstanding breakfast was such good value for money (dam: 15 usd). The staff is also very friendly: they helped me booking my dorm in San Jose and called the hostel with their land line! To be recommended

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I just fell in love with this place! Because of the breakfast and lodge, it's easy to meet people. And it's a really short walk to the town and waterfall and other wonderful places. I stayed two nights longer and I was sad to leave after that. Breakfast is so good, the coffee is perfect.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

We really liked this hostel. The dorms were cool and quiet with mosquito nets on the doors and windows. The kitchen was good and breakfast were excellent. It's a bit of a way up the hill, but not too far away from town.

It is crazily expensive ($32 for 2 dorm beds, not even the luxury dorm), but it is a nice place to stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
luzenelcielocr, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback!

We do our very best to provide you with a clean, well equipped hostel. Our breakfast in the morning is what sets us apart from the other hostels in town. Just to clarify, our standard dorm room costs $15 per person per night.

Again, thank you for your feedback!! Happy traveling!

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Traveled here a year ago with my boyfriend and it was by far the best hostel we stayed at in Costa Rica! We stayed in the private cabina which was completely worth the value of the price. It was priceless waking up to howler monkeys every
morning, not to mention the cabina was beautifully set up and had a glass shower. Very clean hostel and very friendly staff, I recommend this place to anyone traveling through montezuma. We can't wait to return!

Pura vida,
Alana & Jeff

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

When booking the luxury dorm I wasn't expecting luxury. But the only difference (for $12 more) is less people. I didn't have a locker, or laundry service, a reading light or any nicer looking accommodations as mentioned on the website.

The "ensuite bathroom" mentioned on the website means your outhouse is outside of your room. Outside!!!

The bunk beds are so low you will hit your head everything you sit up.

Good luck staying asleep with the sound of whatever fruits falling from the surrounding trees, hitting against the tin metal ceiling which sounds like gun fire its so loud!

We tried to book a snorkeling tour but they said it was sold out. We went into town, found the exact same type, and for $10 cheaper for the same day and time.

People rating this place excellent must live in tents. It's average at most.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
luzenelcielocr, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear guest,

I am sorry that your experience was not what you expected. Our luxury dorm is nice than our standard, because it is it's own cabin, is much more spacious, you have your own key to the door has a private balcony and bathroom !! (Did you stay in the standard? how can you compare?)

The bathroom is outside, but this is the luxury... an open-air bathroom with a separate shower, toilette and doubled sinks, so one person doesn't take up the entire bathroom at once and natural air freshener all the time!

We have reading lights and personal fans on every bed, but sometimes they get moved around and one guest will use two at once... things happen. You can always ask, but we heard not one complaint or suggestion from you.

We do have lockers located in the main part of the lodge. This is the most secure place for the lockers. Also your room locks, our standard dorms do not.

The mangos fall on all of our buildings this time of year... it is very hard to avoid this. We have put up nets to collect them, but a few of the small ones get through!

This is your home in the jungle... and it is a beautiful place!

I am sorry that you did not come to us with your complaints, for we could have tried to help you have a better stay!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. The hostel staff were very friendly, especially Juan Luis and the Argentinan/Italian woman at the front desk! The travelers who come through this hostel are amazing people, and it created a community vibe that makes it difficult to leave. I stayed in both the dorms and the luxury dorm. The luxury dorm was well worth the increase in price, with it's own porch, outdoor shower and bathrooms, and views of the sunset from up top. I would definitely return to this hostel.

• Stayed: February 2014