“i love montezuma”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“i love montezuma”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

while our hostel in La Fortuna may have been nicer (better mattresses, air conditioning etc) I much preferred our stay at Luz. The breakfast is good, the staff and fellow guests were awesome and its hard not to enjoy your stay in montezuma. relax at the beach, in the hammocks, read a book and soak in the sun. pura vida indeed.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Castellanza
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hostel was very nice!!! Compared to the other hostel I stayed in, this was heaven. This hostel fills up fast so book ahead of time. They have both luxury and standard dorms. I stayed in the luxury dorm while my sister stayed in the standard dorm. I don't think there was much of a difference. The luxury dorm is not in the main building and the bathroom and shower are a bit nicer, with HOT WATER!!! Free breakfast. Really great location, not in the heart of the city but not a far walk. Staff a nice and very friendly. Great common area to meet people.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
banff
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Beautiful place with a lovely welcoming staff. Nice rooms, close to town, security guard at night for safety. Great breakfast . It is located In the forest with nice views. staff helpful and knowledgeable about the area and willing to help you out .

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Best breaky I have ever had in a hostel! The hostel itself is in good condition and the beds aren't bad. The dorms are all sharing a ceiling so it can get noisy at night, but it is well run by friendly staff! It is up the hill so try avoiding arriving at night, or in the hear of the day!

Stayed April 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I went by to check out the facility in late March. My sister was speaking with reception and there was a dog lying on a nearby bench. I gently leaned in to pet him/her and was bit on my hand and bleeding within seconds! I don't think that startled the dog since I approached very slowly, but something in that creature snapped. The guy at reception was horrified but useless. My sister had to ask him for some peroxide and bandaids. I ran to the kitchen to rinse my bleeding hand. All I remembered was fangs and a growl at me before I must've closed my eyes and screamed. The other people staying there was startled by what had happened but told me that there was a sign that says not to pet the dog. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! You have a pit-bull who tends to bite people at a PUBLIC HOSTEL??! That's like making a sign to warn people to not board the sinking ship, but if it goes down. Oh well, your fault. You didnt see the sign. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. Irresponsible management.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Emstarzz
luzenelcielocr, Manager at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
We work so hard to make our hostel the way that it is. It always breaks my heart to get a review like this.

We are very sorry that Canela snapped at you. However, you didn't even stay with us, so to say, "never stay here", is not a fair statement. You were just passing by to see if one of your friends had left something from a previous stay, and disrespected us. We do have a sign, a very BIG sign warning, NOT TO PET THE DOG. She has been abused and we are doing or finest to take care of her and make sure that she does not become, "just another street dog in montezuma", and belongs to a loved home.

We are a private hostel, not a public space.We can not watch every person who comes in to the hostel to make sure that they know not to touch Canela, while sleeping, so we made a very big sign above her! (PLEASE NOTE: she is on a leash as well.)

The reason that everybody looked at you horrified when Canela, the dog snapped, is that you didn't even think before petting and strange, SLEEPING dog, with a sign right above her, stating not to touch.

Thank you for this comment. Canela no longer has a chance at Luz for the owner is kicking her out.
Herselt
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

This comfy hostel with hammocks, very clean rooms and bathrooms, and a really outstanding breakfast was such good value for money (dam: 15 usd). The staff is also very friendly: they helped me booking my dorm in San Jose and called the hostel with their land line! To be recommended

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I just fell in love with this place! Because of the breakfast and lodge, it's easy to meet people. And it's a really short walk to the town and waterfall and other wonderful places. I stayed two nights longer and I was sad to leave after that. Breakfast is so good, the coffee is perfect.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo