“RELAXATION”
Review of Hotel Los Mangos

Hotel Los Mangos
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Our first night at hotel los mangos was a little bit scary getting used to sleeping in the middle of the jungle without ac or windows. However, the owner was very reassuring and there was a security guard that walks around at night. The pool there was my favorite thing about this place. I spent most of my time swimming in it. I also loved the hammock on the porch. One lazy afternoon I sat in that and read for hours.

The location of this hotel was perfect. It was far enough away from the loudness of the central portion of town but still close enough to walk to everything. It is also right near the waterfall. You could walk to everything. We stopped at the supermarket in town and used the fridge in our room to hold beer and water.

In the mornings we saw a lot of monkeys. We saw a pack of white faced monkeys on our second day and howler monkeys on our third day. I would definitely come back!!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Los Mangos turned out to surpass my fantasy expectation of rest and relaxation in the jungle on the Pacific Ocean without giving up comforting amenities such as a private bathroom with hot water and daily housekeeping! Not only is the complex extremely inviting for those looking for a retreat but still a stones throw away from downtown Montezuma. The staff left me with friendships that I will revisit through the years especially the owner who was available everyday and was extremely accommodating. I rented a bungalow in which I could watch the monkeys feed in the morning from the porch hammock and fell asleep to the waves crashing in the pacific at night. You can walk to the best restaurants around for breakfast lunch and dinner as well as hike to breath taking waterfalls in which you can jump, swim, sun bathe and zip line. If that sounds to active then taking a yoga class in the morning (which are offered on the campus and taught by a local legend) and cat napping at the pool is always an option.

Room Tip: The bungalows are private and isolated enough were other visitors aren't an issue. You can read...
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My friends and I rented a bungalow for 8 nights. The bungalows include bathrooms with hot water and a porch with a hammock. You could hear the Pacific ocean from the room. The pool was great with a view of the Pacific. We stopped by once a day after our hikes to the waterfall. The best part of the hotel was visiting with the owner, Costas, every morning on the porch of the office. He would give us great advice on restaurants and activites to do every day. By the end of the trip, it felt like we were visiting with an old friend rather than staying at a hotel. The location was perfect. It was right around the corner from downtown so you didn't hear the bar noise at night. The hotel is also across from one of the best restaurants in Costa Rica, Playa de los Artistas.

1  Thank TIAdc
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I absolutely loved Hotel Los Mangos. When we come back, we will definitely stay here again. With that being said, this hotel is not for everyone. Know in advance what type of place you want to stay in before you book here. Hotel Los Mangos is, simply put, camping. There is no air conditioning, no wifi, no tv, and no radio. Instead you get a very rustic bungalow with two rocking chairs and a hammock on your own front porch. The bathroom is simple and basic, sink, shower w/ hot water, and they supply you with two towels. Additionally, you do have a mini fridge. If you are not high maintenance, then this place will suit you very well. Some of our fondest memories are sitting in the rockers, reading our books and watching the plethora of wildlife meander around through the trees and on the grounds. As an additional bonus, they have yoga on site. AND, the yoga is good, real good. Since I am a yoga teacher, I am very picky about the classes I take, and I have to honestly say the classes were good!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I've stayed at this location on two separate occasions for 2 yoga retreats. The place is absolutely spectacular. Of course the rooms are small and don't have tons of amenities, but it's in the middle of the jungle with iguanas on the roof and monkeys in the trees. It's absolutely fantastic. If you're ok with leaving your first world expectations behind and ok with just enjoying being in a magical place, this is it.

Room Tip: All the bungalows are very similar, some of them are very high up on the mountain though. The ones c...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We spent 2 nights in a standard room because everything else was booked. We paid around 90$ a night. The room was beachfront (beach is across the street). The first thing that surprised me was the fact that there were no closet or any place to put our clothes. The most basic room in any way. I found it pricey for what we get. Outside, the landscape is very nice, so is the pool. We saw the bungalows, they looked very beautiful and a couple who was renting one of them told us that they were very satisfied. The rooms are near the street, so, closer to the rocky beach. Bungalows are farther behind the roms section, among the trees, very nice and quiet. You are very close to the falls. As you exit from the hotel, go right, and the entrance of the falls are about 100 meters. A nice restaurant is right there, you can enjoy a tastfull breakfast (american, tico style) for about 5$ and you have the soud of the nature around you. I noticed that this restaurant has also some rooms on the second floor.

Room Tip: Pay an extra and rent a bungalow or look for another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Minamtl
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed at Hotel Los Mangos in March 2011

The only negatives were some insect issues..
-When we arrived there were ants everywhere in the room because it had just rained. That resolved pretty quickly once it dried out outside, but something to be aware of if bugs are a deal breaker for you. For us, we accepted it as part of nature..
-There was some kind of weird insect nesting happening in our shower which was kind of freaky. Not totally sure what was happening but there was fresh debris in the shower every day which we tried to clean up regularly - maybe it was from termites or something like that. Also we found a massive roach in the shower which took all three of us screaming and giggling to dispatch back to the out of doors. I guess you can't go to Costa Rica without being confronted by giant insects at some point...

On to the positives. We really loved the owner Costos. He gave the place a really laid back vibe and was super nice. There was a tsunami warning while we were there. The hotel staff let us know what the evacuation plan would be (head up the hill) and that was about it - they had us check in with them periodically throughout the day. No freaking out on their part - pura vida.

Also we noticed that there was a night security guard who did rounds about every hour or so which was comforting. Too bad he scared the crap out of me the first time he walked by while I was reading on one of the comfy rocking chairs on the patio :)

The room itself was not luxurous but totally adequate for the price. It had bed, bath, mini-fridge - basically everything you could need on a low key CR beach vacation.

The hotel is right across from a really nice restaurant and is a short walk into town. I wouldn't go walking alone down the dirt road into town at night, but with the three of us we felt safe enough.

Also the hotel's pool is great and it's close enough to walk to the beach which was also lovely.

Finally, one of my travel companions had a nasty accident and we managed to bloody up one of the hotel towels. The staff was very understanding and didn't charge us for it. Further everyone including other guests were genuinely concerned and willing to help us out.

Overall I would most definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends