“Don't bring valuables!”
Review of Hotel Los Mangos

Hotel Los Mangos
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed 7 March 2012

the hotel is nice enough (pool and yoga a plus) however, these people do NOT care about Customer Satisfaction! I forgot a pair of tiny, sentimentally valuable earrings in the room and after NUMEROUS attempts to get them back, even offering to pay for Shipping back to the US, the owner just plain told me that it was impossible, and that they would hold onto them for 3 months so that I could personally return to the property to retrieve them! I gave them several opportunities, tried my best to negotiate with them, but to no avail. They simply cannot put a pair of studs in an envelope. Very annoying and not how I wanted to remember this place...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Zaley08
enjoylifenewyork, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Los Mangos, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Hola,
this is Dagmar from Los Mangos, I just saw your post and spoke with the owner again. Please understand that people forget things all the time and hardly any hotel in the world has the service of sending those items back. However we are sorry that you are so upset and obviously these earrings mean a lot to you, so please provide us with your mailing address and we will make an exception and send them to you. Hope this will make you happy and thanks again for choosing to stay with us on your trip. Please email info to homangos@racsa.co.cr
all the best to you, saludos los mangos hotel

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Our first night at hotel los mangos was a little bit scary getting used to sleeping in the middle of the jungle without ac or windows. However, the owner was very reassuring and there was a security guard that walks around at night. The pool there was my favorite thing about this place. I spent most of my time swimming in it. I also loved the hammock on the porch. One lazy afternoon I sat in that and read for hours.

The location of this hotel was perfect. It was far enough away from the loudness of the central portion of town but still close enough to walk to everything. It is also right near the waterfall. You could walk to everything. We stopped at the supermarket in town and used the fridge in our room to hold beer and water.

In the mornings we saw a lot of monkeys. We saw a pack of white faced monkeys on our second day and howler monkeys on our third day. I would definitely come back!!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Los Mangos turned out to surpass my fantasy expectation of rest and relaxation in the jungle on the Pacific Ocean without giving up comforting amenities such as a private bathroom with hot water and daily housekeeping! Not only is the complex extremely inviting for those looking for a retreat but still a stones throw away from downtown Montezuma. The staff left me with friendships that I will revisit through the years especially the owner who was available everyday and was extremely accommodating. I rented a bungalow in which I could watch the monkeys feed in the morning from the porch hammock and fell asleep to the waves crashing in the pacific at night. You can walk to the best restaurants around for breakfast lunch and dinner as well as hike to breath taking waterfalls in which you can jump, swim, sun bathe and zip line. If that sounds to active then taking a yoga class in the morning (which are offered on the campus and taught by a local legend) and cat napping at the pool is always an option.

Room Tip: The bungalows are private and isolated enough were other visitors aren't an issue. You can read...
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My friends and I rented a bungalow for 8 nights. The bungalows include bathrooms with hot water and a porch with a hammock. You could hear the Pacific ocean from the room. The pool was great with a view of the Pacific. We stopped by once a day after our hikes to the waterfall. The best part of the hotel was visiting with the owner, Costas, every morning on the porch of the office. He would give us great advice on restaurants and activites to do every day. By the end of the trip, it felt like we were visiting with an old friend rather than staying at a hotel. The location was perfect. It was right around the corner from downtown so you didn't hear the bar noise at night. The hotel is also across from one of the best restaurants in Costa Rica, Playa de los Artistas.

1  Thank TIAdc
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I absolutely loved Hotel Los Mangos. When we come back, we will definitely stay here again. With that being said, this hotel is not for everyone. Know in advance what type of place you want to stay in before you book here. Hotel Los Mangos is, simply put, camping. There is no air conditioning, no wifi, no tv, and no radio. Instead you get a very rustic bungalow with two rocking chairs and a hammock on your own front porch. The bathroom is simple and basic, sink, shower w/ hot water, and they supply you with two towels. Additionally, you do have a mini fridge. If you are not high maintenance, then this place will suit you very well. Some of our fondest memories are sitting in the rockers, reading our books and watching the plethora of wildlife meander around through the trees and on the grounds. As an additional bonus, they have yoga on site. AND, the yoga is good, real good. Since I am a yoga teacher, I am very picky about the classes I take, and I have to honestly say the classes were good!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I've stayed at this location on two separate occasions for 2 yoga retreats. The place is absolutely spectacular. Of course the rooms are small and don't have tons of amenities, but it's in the middle of the jungle with iguanas on the roof and monkeys in the trees. It's absolutely fantastic. If you're ok with leaving your first world expectations behind and ok with just enjoying being in a magical place, this is it.

Room Tip: All the bungalows are very similar, some of them are very high up on the mountain though. The ones c...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We spent 2 nights in a standard room because everything else was booked. We paid around 90$ a night. The room was beachfront (beach is across the street). The first thing that surprised me was the fact that there were no closet or any place to put our clothes. The most basic room in any way. I found it pricey for what we get. Outside, the landscape is very nice, so is the pool. We saw the bungalows, they looked very beautiful and a couple who was renting one of them told us that they were very satisfied. The rooms are near the street, so, closer to the rocky beach. Bungalows are farther behind the roms section, among the trees, very nice and quiet. You are very close to the falls. As you exit from the hotel, go right, and the entrance of the falls are about 100 meters. A nice restaurant is right there, you can enjoy a tastfull breakfast (american, tico style) for about 5$ and you have the soud of the nature around you. I noticed that this restaurant has also some rooms on the second floor.

Room Tip: Pay an extra and rent a bungalow or look for another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family