Hotel Amor de Mar
Hotel El Jardin(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
US$70
Hotel Los Mangos(Montezuma)
US$60
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
Sano Banano Beachside Hotel(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
US$68
Hotel Celaje(Cabuya)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$68
  • Breakfast included
Cabinas Mar y Cielo(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
US$60
Hotel El Tajalin(Montezuma)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Luna Llena Hotel(Montezuma)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsbeautiful lawntide poolscosta ricadirectly across the streetpalm treesnatural woodthe ownerocean viewroom numberminute walkmontezuma fallsin townfirst floorhuevos rancherosmosquito nettingdirt roadeach morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Amor de Mar from February 15 - 18, 2012 (3 nights). This hotel is very nice - the decor is tropical, the breakfast is amazing, and the views are picturesque. There was a "red tide" in the sea during our visit, so we unfortunately could not swim in the ocean. The back of the hotel has a green yard that stretches out to the sea. It is dotted with chairs for lounging. The palm trees have hammocks strung between them that are super comfortable for reading, napping, or listening to the sound of the ocean against the rocks.

The staff was very friendly. The room was clean, but the walls were so thin that we could hear conversations in adjoining rooms and above us, word-for-word. We stayed on the ground floor, but there was not a lot of noise from the road, which was a pleasant surprise.

This hotel is a five minute walk along a dirt road to the "beach town" of Montezuma. There, travelers can shop for souvenirs, eat, and make reservations for excursions. We took a little LED flashlight (I would highly recommend taking a flashlight) with us to walk to town each night for dinner and to look through the shops. The food at all the restaurants was tasty and a good value. We especially enjoyed jugos con leche, a drink like a smoothie, at every restaurant.

If you don't plan excursions, you can spend your days laying on the little secluded beaches that are found along the dirt road. You can rent ATVs. You can lounge in the hammocks and visit the town nearby. The hotel has a stash of board games and badmitton, but we didn't learn this until I spotted them in a closet before we left (ask for these!). There is also a waterfall directly across the street from Hotel Amor de Mar - you MUST visit this waterfall! It was about a 15 minute walk over slipper rocks and along a narrow dirt path. I was nervous when making this walk in our flip flops and shorts, but we saw countless families with children and dogs, older couples, and people of all ages taking this path. You will first see a small waterfall and pool, but if you follow the path up and along the water, you will reach a gorgeous waterfall with a refreshing cool pool for swimming. This would be a great place to enjoy a picnic lunch. My husband even climbed the rocks and jumped off!

Overall, Montezuma was a very nice hotel. If you are looking to lounge in the lap of luxury, this hotel is not for you. If you are looking for a safe, friendly hotel with access to the beach and town at a good price, Hotel Amor de Mar is an excellent choice!

Room Tip: Select a room on the upper floor if possible. I'm sure there will be less noise up there than on the first floor.
1  Thank jeannie86
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My friends and I started our trip at a nearby hostel but walking by this hotel, we couldn't resist canceling our next night at the hostel to book an evening at Amor de Mar. The outside area is right on the beach and is absolutely gorgeous (with comfy hammocks to lie in). The staff is incredibly helpful - they have gone out of their way to return my cell phone to me (which I accidentally left behind). The breakfasts are also fantastic... I was really sad we didn't have time to eat breakfast there the morning we left. All in all... I would recommend it to anyone visiting Montezuma. It was one of the highlights of our trip to Costa Rica. (Also - try Playa de los artistas, a restaurant a few doors down... it's fantastic!)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Natasha P
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Amor de Mar for 5 nights in February. First time we saw the hotel was on our trip to Costa Rica last year and I knew we had to stay there when we come back...and so we did...It's a really amazing place: the structure is a piece of art, the rooms are cozy and clean, staff is very helpful, and the view is simply beautiful. The grounds are very well kept with plenty of hammocks and beach chairs for everyone to enjoy the peace and quiet of Costa Rica. You could just relax at the hotel or take a short 5 min walk to the Montezuma town. Would definitely consider staying at the hotel on our next trip to CR.

1  Thank Viktoria1980
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Had a great 4 night stay in Montezuma at Hotel Amor De Mar. The hotel itself if very nice with clean rooms and grounds on the property are amazing. Ocean front and extremely well kept, it's the perfect place to relax in their abundance of hammocks and enjoy the heat. The tide pools they advertise on their website were a little disappointing, they seemed quite dangerous with waves rushing in and were full of big crabs, but Montezuma Falls are right behind the hotel across the road, so that's a good option for swimming. We weren't able to swim in the ocean the whole time we were in Montezuma due to the Red Tide... which was pretty disappointing, but I guess that happens in the Gulf. Overall, we were very impressed with this hotel and how relaxing it is, and the breakfast is very good too! Recommended for couples travelling together, but this is definitely not a party place so groups of friends should look elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank volcom146
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just stayed here for 3 nights. Such an amazing place! Rooms and bathrooms are pretty rustic but the exterior porches and landscaping are to die for. We woke up for the sunrise every morning and laid on the plethora of hammocks that are located all over the property. This may be the best way ever to start the day! The sunrises are absolutely beautiful and mystical looking, with the morning mist over the beaches and the waves crashing along the coast line.
Breakfast there was delicious, although it is not complementary. Definitely worth eating there at least one of your mornings!
Amie, whom I think is the owner, is amazingly nice and super helpful along with the rest of the staff. They definitely go out of there way to make sure you are happy and comfortable. I also felt very safe here. Not only did the door at the stairs lock behind us, but the door to the room would automatically lock behind you too, which is a good thing in my eyes, just remember your keys at all times :)
The location of the hotel is also great, because it is in walking distance to the downtown but is not close enough that the noise from the bars at night can be heard. So you definitely get the best of both worlds. It is also located right across the street from the entrance to the waterfall which you can swim in. Very short walk to it, in which we saw howler and white faced monkeys :)
Overall, we were extremely pleased with this magical little place. We will all definitely be returning here hopefully sooner than later! Pura Vida :)

1  Thank ErinMarie02