“Great location...but...eh”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Montezuma
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
“Great location...but...eh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

Living on the Osa Peninsula for 5 years, I'd never been to Montezuma and had heard great things...so....My girlfriend and another friend decided to check it out. What a fun little town! Clean...not even a cigarette butt on the street! I would highly recommend the boat tour for snorkeling and a great day hanging on an island beach! I really can't say enough good things about this little town...it's a must see and I will definitely go back!

We stayed for 3 days/2nights the end of the first week of May 2009. As far as the Hotel Luz de Mono...it was, okay. Like a few of the reviews before this we showed up with no reservations and stumbled upon Luz de Mono after looking at a few others outside of town. It's a great location...very easy walking distance to everything. Breakfast is a plus (included with the room). Fighting off the 2 Magpie birds was great entertainment...don't leave your plate for a second! The pool is big, and well maintained. A nice quick dip after breakfast and following the afternoon siesta was a plus! The grounds are well maintained...and the Howler Monkey howling at 4:30am didn't bother any of us...also, lots of iguanas and jesus christ lizards to see!

The rooms are dark...I don't know how else to describe them. I felt like I was in a cave. Colorful murals or paintings might help to brighten up these rooms. We were at the far end of a concrete building in a room with a double bed and bunk beds. As stated in another review...no safe. The beds were thin mattresses on planks...uncomfortable. When I wake up after a good night sleep I am happy and ready to go...I didn't get that good night sleep at Luz de Mono. No AC but decent screens to keep out the bugs. The staff at check in/out, and at breakfast were...ambivalent at best and certainly not smiling...they didn't even try to appear happy to see us or engage us in any conversation. (in any language) I would equate the overall experience as...blah. Price was not a concern for us, however, I think Luz de Mono is a reasonably good value (3 pax $60 PN)

Capt. Chris

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2009

Rolled into Montezuma with no reservations and no idea where to stay. We rolled upon Hotel Luz De Mono. The grounds are very well taken care off but it seems like this was once a higher end hotel which has lost something along the way. There was no safe in our room so we had to keep all our valuables with us but this was also the first hotel we say monkeys hanging out at - this was a big highlight of the hotel, except for the howler monkey who decided to keep me up all night. I am not picky traveller and this place was perfect for a night. The pool area is also nice.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2009

Five of us traveled to Montezuma with no reservations and uncertain of where we would stay. Lucky for us we found Luz de Mono. We arrived via boat from Jaco, having stayed the previous week in Manuel Antonio. The staff was extremely accommodating and even let us keep all of our backpacks in the office until our room was available so we could play on the beach.

The howler monkeys visisted the pool a time or two and what I liked most is that we were right next to town but far enough away that you could escape. The pool is gorgeous and the rooms were spacious.

The one down fall was I would not recommend getting the breakfast that comes with the room. It is worth it to walk the 500 feet into town and try out the other offerings.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
St Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

We returned to the Luz de Mono for the third time in August 2008. Each time we return, we find the same warm, friendly service and the beautiful, artistic touches in a tropical setting more inviting. The grounds are well cared for and absolutely beautiful and are alive with millions of monkeys, iguanas, and other critters unknown to the North American Continent. Each day as we walked to the restaurant for breakfast we were greeted with hearts made of flowers on the paths, flowers that had fallen from the vines during the night. The managment and employees are one of the reasons we continue to come back. They are warm, informative and helpful. Our rooms were cleaned daily, including fresh towels. You can also have your laundry done while you vacation and return to find it neatly folded on your bed. The rooms are spacious, well furnished and secure.
We have recommended the Luz to many of our friends who have found this a wonderful paradise.

• Liked — the surroundings
  • Disliked — the beds
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank con2909
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

When we arrived in Montezuma on Sunday afternoon, we did not have a place to stay. A quick trip around town led us to Luz de Mono. The staff members were really friendly and accommodating. The room was fine, but nothing special, aside from a nice hot shower. However, the toilet leaked, the beds were lumpy and worn out and the blankets were minimal. Yes, it gets hot in Costa RIca, but during the rainy season at night it is chilly! We did not eat at the hotel, but we had a drink at their beautiful bar. The breakfast included in the room cost was served at the cafe next door and it was quite good. The service was friendly, too. If I were to return to Montezuma, I would look for a more comfortable bed.

• Liked — great service
  • Disliked — awful beds
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2007

If you look at the hotel website you may be disappointed when you get to the hotel. The description of the rooms and casitas is really not accurate..or at least it wasn't when we staid there. There were no casitas as they were refurbishing them, the hotel rooms were missing many things, but in particular a wardrobe, or even and hanger or a hook. We left our clothes folded up on the spare bed. Having said that we paid $30 for a very big room in the foerst, with decent size bathroom and satellite TV. Big kingsize bed, clean. Shame for the white curtain: you wake up at 4 in the morning. Staff helpful, but maybe not the kindest and in most informed. No credit cards accepted, but the bakery associated next door accept them. Forget about paying with travellers-cheques. no way! Lovely breakfast at the bakery with birds and monkeys: very picturesque and lovely bread and cakes.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2006

My wife and I along with another couple rented a casita in March 2006. The lobby and restaurant area are very artistic and unique. Led uphill on a very steep and confusing path even after the fifth or sixth time, we got our first look at it. The "oceanview" consisted of a small sliver of blue visible through the trees. Ocean-sound would have been a better description as the raging surf was omnipresent and admittedly soothing. Our balcony was a splintery wooden deck that had boards loose enough to constitute a legitimate hazard and sparked amusing visions of the four of us crashing down the rain forest in a small cold-water jacuzzi.
Inside the casita it was both nice and not so much. The two bedrooms were simple and rustic-as we had expected. What was not expected were the gaping holes in the screens. Our friend's room had a two and a half foot section torn down (apparently this is a favorite spot for a local iguana who appeared there the next day to literally "hang out". )The bathroom was fine except for the request to put all toilet paper in the basket alongside the bowl which didn't even have a lid. I understand that in less-costly establishments this is standard practice (aside from no lid) but in my week elsewhere in Costa Rica-some at less expensive places, wiping and flushing were standard amenities and if I knew this was the policy, I would have booked elsewhere. (The owner later told me that it was OK to use things as normal, but only after I complained)
Furious at the rickety condition of the place, I went right to the owner, an Italian ex-pat who was friendly but tried to make excuses for everything as if for the $160 a night we shelled out for the place this was all that we could expect. When I informed him that I wanted a refund he promised to send his maintenance guy the next day and as compensation offered us both one free breakfast and dinner during our stay if we remained. Too tired to raise more of a fuss, I acquiesced, and our stay wasn't as bad as I expected, but still nowhere near worth the money it cost--especially in a Latin American country. So, while I give points for the owner's offer and must say that the food at the restaurant was the absolute best I had the entire trip, overall this was a disappointment for me and definitely not worth the money and excitement the web site created promoting it as an artistic alternative hideaway. At least the monkeys were cute.

• Liked — The restaurant was fantastic
  • Disliked — The obvious lack of regular maintenance
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with friends