“Great vacation”

Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My fiance and I stayed in one of the tents there for five nights around the end of July/early August. I have so many great things to say about the place and the service!
The tents pleasantly surprised me because they were well built with ceiling fans and even included showers! And the hotel location is so remote but very accessible. You really feel separated from the world!
The food we had was cooked so well; I don't think I've ever had better tuna in my life. We loved the "Tipico" breakfast as well!
Ylang Ylang also made it very easy for us to enjoy activities like horseback riding and deep sea fishing. Anything we needed, the staff was there to help!
I was also lucky enough to be able to enjoy a massage while we were there and I honestly fell asleep during it from being so incredibly relaxed! I highly recommend it, if you have a chance.
Overall, I would say that this resort is great place to "get away" and have a good time!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I came to Ylang Ylang for a wedding and I had the best time I've ever had on a vacation. I can't believe how nice and really authentic every moment was. The owners built everything themselves, and they did such a wonderful job! they even take you on a guided nature walk THROUGH THE JUNGLE explaining all the plants they have planted over the last 30 years. I can't get over how nice every single person who worked there was. There was such a great energy and everyone was happy to be there. Its the best of both worlds, being in the jungle, in tree houses! AND 20 ft from the most beautiful beach with 80 degree water. I could not have had a better experience here. and it was a 10 minute walk on the beach into town, and a 15 minute walk to the most remote swimming beach called playa grande.

Room Tip: I stayed in the condo type room that had a lofted bed, it slept 6 so it was great for a family or a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I have never visited a place before where I have been treated so graciously. The staff here is beyond Words. From the moment I checked in to the moment my son & I left, we were in amazing hands. Ylang Ylang was the trip of a lifetime! It is also a wonderful place for children. We visited paradise & our stay at Ylang Ylang made it complete. I could not recommend a place to stay higher than Ylang Ylang!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed at Ylang Ylang for a family wedding. The restaurant is marvelous and the lodging is super comfortable and well appointed. The pool and the grounds are magnificent and the service and employees are the best. It's in a great beach front location and close enough to walk to Montezuma. Loved the entire experience and highly recommend Ylang Ylang.

Room Tip: Get a dome
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Ylang Ylang and the staff were absolutely phenomenal. We stayed in the tent-cabins which were the perfect fit for us. They were surrounded by natural beauty, sea breeze and exotic creatures while still maintaining all of the comforts of a modern room - running water, electricity and a private restroom with hot and cold water showers. The restaurant was delicious and had an eclectic menu with fresh ingredients and many vegetarian options. The service staff was kind, gracious and polite and all had great tips and information about Costa Rica. All of the off-site activities booked through reservations were great as well. The pool was the perfect vaction-style retreat from the beautiful playa grande (the large beach just a short walk through the forrest from the resort). The owners created the perfect blend of natural beauty and modern conveniences to make you feel right at home in Montezuma. I couldn't imagine getting to know Costa Rica any other way. We also had the pleasure of attending a wedding while there and can not imagine any wedding topping the natural beauty and precision of planning that went in to it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We loved our stay at Ylang Ylang; it was very relaxing and we had beautiful views from our beachfront suite. The suite was made for 6, so it was very spacious for my husband and me. We slept in the king bed in the loft area because the view was amazing. We used one bed downstairs for all of our luggage and used the other bed just for lounging and sitting. Ideally, the suite could have an actual couch for lounging. There was an entry hall with shelves, hangers, and hooks for clothes, and more hooks next to the beds. There were also large bookcases for storage next to the beds. The air conditioning and ceiling fans were a much appreciated amenity. The property is beautiful, and the staff seem to work very hard.

From our experiences, I'm guessing that bugs in the rooms are common. Therefore, I think people should go with realistic expectations - you will be nestled among dense vegetation, with hot and humid weather, so you will have insects and lizards all around you. At breakfast, it was a little uncomfortable to have swarms of bees (albeit stingless and harmless) in your face and hovering around your food. The staff acknowledged this and gave us menus to swat them away. Unfortunately, there were too many to just shoo away. We saw another couple who had the same problem. We also had to redirect a few "intruders" in our room back outside. A large flying insect (don't know what it was, but it was pretty), a large cockroach, and a baby gecko. There were also a few ants and mosquitoes. We weren't too bothered by these visitors because we got used to them over our two weeks in Costa Rica, but I hope my comments help others understand that they vacationing in the tropics and these bugs and lizards are unavoidable. We learned that no matter how much we paid for our hotel, we always had pests in our room. However, the rest of the resort is excellent and makes up for the bugs.

The suite was great. The bed and pillows were very comfortable (important to us!). The bathroom and shower were large. We loved the tiled shower. Hot water was strong and fairly consistent. The ylang ylang natural shampoo, conditioner, and body wash were lovely. How often do you find natural bath products at a hotel?!! Never. I read ingredient lists for all bath and body products because I have skin allergies, and was very happy to see the short list of natural ingredients. The complimentary breakfast and dinner were nice, and makes the price of the stay a great value. The food was pretty good. There was one waitress whose name I wish we knew so we could thank her. She brought us passionfruit juices when we checked in, and then we saw her again at dinner. She was so kind and seemed genuinely dedicated to making sure we were satisfied. I know I'm ruining the surprise now, but I hope the hotel never stops surprising guests with a welcome juice. The passionfruit drink was delicious and truly appreciated after a long day of traveling.

The beaches in front of Ylang Ylang and neighboring areas are beautiful. The picturesque waves create thundering crashes, which we loved hearing as we fell asleep and then when we woke up. We walked through several beaches and were mesmerized by the waves. We didn't go in the water because the waves were big, but we were happy to admire them! The town in Montezuma is lively, filled with visitors, restaurants, and small hotels/B&Bs. We had great drinks at Ylang Ylang's sister hotel/restaurant, El Sano Banano. The happy hour at El Sano Banano lasts longer and is less expensive than the one at Ylang Ylang. Irvine was a friendly and engaging bartender there.

We visited for two nights during the last week of July 2013. Lots of sunshine, brief period of rain one evening (~30 minutes) during dinner. The restaurant staff offered umbrellas for our walk back to our room. Overall, Ylang Ylang was a wonderful, relaxing resort with an awesome property and staff. It's the best option if you're planning to visit Montezuma!

Room Tip: Even if you're just two people, the beachfront suite is an excellent option! It fits up to 6, bu...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed at Ylang Ylang during first week of July and had an excellent time. Location of the property is simply amazing, we were very excited based on the reviews we had read - and I must say we were not disappointed.
The restaurant serves excellent food, some of the best food we had during our 10 day stay in Costa Rica. There were however two things that bothered me, first a fruit juice is included with dinner, however if you substitute it with beer (which is the same price as fruit juice on the menu), they will charge you - not very nice. Secondly, on checkout they charged a dollar per person per day for some charity/ donation - again, forcing your patrons to donate for whatever cause is not nice.
It is not the dollar amount, considering what you are paying to stay this is small change, but the feeling of being charged where you should not be bothered me.
Service at the resort was very good, we enjoyed our stay in every way and will go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Hotel Amor de Mar
Hotel Amor de Mar
#3 of 18 in Montezuma
Nature Lodge Finca los Caballos

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!