“Lots of good and bad...”

Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed 4 July 2008

This place has the potential to be a tropical paradise but there were a couple things that will probably prevent us from going back unless they change...

Good: Secluded, right on the beach rooms. We stayed in both the main building in a suite (only 6 rooms) and in Coco Joe's Bungalow. You constantly here the roar of the ocean from everywhere on the property, even in the shower! The grounds were absolutely amazing. There were monkeys and iguanas everywhere. There were relaxing hammocks right in front of the water.

Great: The FOOD. Many choices, better then many 5 star restaurants I've been to. The juice/iced tea included with the meals were amazing too! I never though I'd say that...The setting of the dining area was beautiful, both during the day watching the waves and at night having a delicious dinner by candlelight.

Bad: The beaches. Full of logs, wood. They cleaned up right in front of the hotel but all the beaches to the left were full of trash and wood, you could barely walk on them. The 10 minute walk on the beach to the hotel was mostly miserable with the wood everywhere. Sometimes you had to walk in the water and the sand was so sticky. We didn't go in the water at all. They don't recommend you go in the water in front of the hotel. We were there during red tide which only affected the water right in front of our hotel one day that we were there but it was nasty...makes the water a reddish color and the whole resort smelled like fish.. They recommend Playa Grande, a beach which was another pretty miserable HOT 20 minute hike down a polluted beach, at times through forest, up and down hills. The beach itself wasn't nice at all...again, full of wood. The water was unimpressive.

Now, for the rooms, the first we went in was the smallest room in the main building, the "Beach Front Room" It was SO tiny...we didn't have anywhere to put our lugguge. It was hot and dim. There was a small patio in the front with table and chairs. We were in there for 10 minutes and I walked down to reception and asked for one of the rooms above the "Beach Front Rooms" which are the "beach front suites" They were larger with a loft and a balcony. All the rooms have the beach right in front of you and the jungle around you. Yet they are all open air, the windows and doors are slotted or just open completely and NO AIR CONDITIONING. It is so humid here. I was constanly covered in sweat, averaging 3 showers a day just for relief. And there are bugs everywhere in your room. I was eaten alive even while sleeping. The beds and all your clothes feel almost moist. Did I mention the bugs? Ants all over the bathrooms (now I saw 3 rooms, and stayed in two...
this was the case in all), spiders, flying things, mosquitos, ghekos, etc. Gross. The last two nights we were in Coco Joes, the most expensive Jungalow...very cute on the outside, but again on the inside...same thing, hot, moist, humid, BUGS BUGS BUGS everywhere. Ants all over the sink, lizards all over the walls...even with the mosquito net around the bed in this place we still got bit. It took a lot away from the enjoyment of the place. Besides for the beach problems mentioned above, this place would be heaven if they rebuilt these rooms and bungalows, made them more enclosed from the outside and less dingy, and had air conditioning. Also want to mention, there is nothing to do after dinner. It gets dark early and even your room doesn't have sufficient light. We were asleep by 8:30-9 every night just from boredom. You could go into town but I can't imagine walking on that beach in the the dark...With the changes mentioned above, I would stay here again, otherwise, the problems with the rooms were too much

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tori9054

Reviewed 23 June 2008

Ylang Ylang hotel, Montezuma

I stayed at the Ylang Ylang hotel in Montezuma the first week in June with a group of four friends. At first we were worried about the weather being rainy, since we are from Vancouver, BC we wanted to escape the dreary weather.
No problems there as it is sunny every morning and has lightning in their evenings starting at 5-6 pm.
The Ylang Ylang resort is absolutely beautiful, the grounds are lush and full of Vibrant colored flowers. It has a nice summery smell and stone paths. The staff are so happy and calm, they are very helpful.
Check out there menu link when you are at there website. the food is delicious. Lots of variety and I am a picky vegetarian. I loved the blackened Tuna and the guys couldn't get enough of the seafood platter. The Tortuga Island tour was well worth it...definetly the nicest beach in the area. I was not that impressed with Playa Grande beach although it's nice once you get there. I discovered tons of garbage on the walk there and it floats in the water and hits your legs as you walk back. Dont go back during high tide! Also as far as attractions don't go to Cabo Blanco national Park, unless your down for a 4hr hike in the hot sun on a horrible path. The beach there is full of logs and debris.
The town of Montezuma is great, the people are interesting and they have good food and clothes, jewelery and nic nacks.
Back to the staff at the Ylang Ylang... Mario,Edgar, Danny, Alexandra(probably spelled wrong) were the coolest group of people very patient.
Both couples stayed in the beach rooms. They were clean and looked better than the pictures on the website. They were too hot though, and be sure to use the nets there are bugs, but you get used to them.
The bathrooms were neat! Very good cleaning service too! wow the housekeepers are excellent. CAnt say enough good things about the Ylang Ylang!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank MsRiviera
Reviewed 12 June 2008

Trying to get to Ylang Ylang during severe rain was a nightmare/ adventure in itself... Sansa had cancelled all the flights the day we arrived so we had to make a crazy stupid detour just to get there. Thank goodness we had a cell phone and Jenny did whatever she could to help us through it. The resort is beautiful and on a wonderful stretch of beach. The domes are private enough with decently comfortable beds. The food and drinks were wonderful, and most of the staff was very friendly. We had a good stay here but unlike some resorts we have stayed at, we didn't get a homey, welcome feeling. It was more like just a place to stay, very nice, don't get me wrong, but I think for the price I just expected a little more effort from the staff.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2008

We stayed here for 4 nights on our honeymoon and absolutely loved the place. Montezuma is a small beach town with an amazing vibe. There is so much to see and do here.

The Ylang Ylang hotel is a green hotel so it's extremely eco-friendly and is located right on the beach. You're surrounded by all sorts of wildlife, which you'll hear throughout the night (especially howler monkeys!)

All the staff speak good english and can organise all tours for you. They provide breakfast and dinner with your room fee. The food is excellent and the staff are wonderful.

I highly recommend a stay at the Ylang Ylang resort.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dolphex
Reviewed 7 April 2008

We are just returning from a phenomenal vacation at the YlangYlang. We were visiting our friend's daughter who is studying biology in Costa Rica and chose to have a restful week week with her at this beach resort. We did not travel throughout this beautiful country but many of the other guests at the YlangYlang had and were thrilled with their stay at this resort. The staff make you feel like they have been waiting for you to arrive. We were greeted every day with warm and happy spirits and this made my vacation. We sat in the hammock or by the pool and watched the howler monkeys and the white faced capuchin monkeys travel through the trees above us. There are iguanas, lizards and frogs to keep you company. The roar from the ocean sounds like you are in a thunderstorm as you lie in bed, but it is a lullabye like no other. We especially fell in love with Danny, Siomara, RIcardo, Mario and Patricia. If you go down bring lots of kindness with you...and they will shower it back to you tenfold. The food was great and the housekeeping and grounds crew keep the place beautiful. This is a special find.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank agapegirl
Reviewed 2 April 2008

This is a definite MUST stay! We still dream of this place and definitely want to go back... SOON! The staff makes you feel warm and welcome, like family, from the minute you arrive. We took a small plane into Tambor- if you do this AVOID SANSA- go Nature Air! long story! Eduardo wa waiting for us with a friendly smile in a van that was waiting in the shade and cooled from the A/C. He picked up all of our bags as though they were packed with feathers and had us on our way in no time. He treated us to lots of information, stories and tidbits along the way that made us feel as though we had known him forever. When we arrived at the hotel they were ready and waiting for us with a tour of the room and faciity. The first night we stayed at the sister hotel - El Sano Banano- the rest of our stay was at Ylang Ylang. Had we known what was in store for us at Ylang Ylang we never would have stayed that first night in town. WOW! Mario picked us up in town and drove us to the resort. He had all our bags transferred to the new room, gave us a tour of the place and again treated us like royalty and family all at the same effortless time. The resort is AMAZING! The food superb and every need is met - sometimes even before you know you have a need! lol Breakfast was incredible- no coffee and reheated danish here- full breakfast menu with food so amazing and fresh! I discovered also that if you would prefer a substitute for an item that they are so accomodating. I dont eat eggs but they happily offered to scrable up some tofu instead. Now I do NOT normally enjoy tofu- I have to say- this was awesome. They made me a 'Tipico' Typical Costa Rican breakfast with a veggie egg scramble with rice and beans and tortillas- yum! They didnt stop there. The grounds are gorgeous! Very jungle tropical with wildlife everywhere. I can see kids of all ages having a blast here. The monkeys are so entertaining! My dh and I stayed in a jungle dome right off the beach! AMAZING! The whole front of the room was covered with wooden louvered sliding doors that opened to a spectacular patio and view of the ocean. We actually could watch the sunset from our bed! Privacy always concerns me but not here! The flora and fauna is so lush that you feel like you are all alone on an island most of the time- especially in your room. The beach is private and has very few people on it at any time which is great! The room also had a small wet bar type area with a coffee pot, sink and small refrigerator. Ample closet space with a locked safe. Large comfy bed with GREAT linens! Large is an understatement when you refer to the bathroom. This thing is massive! Even the shower is large! We had great water pressure and plenty of warm water too! The dome even has an outdoor shower too which was very nice and VERY private! The towels provided were nice too- large, lush and thirsty! The staff decorates your room daily with fresh flowers and towel animals which is so wonderful to walk in and find waiting. We always found the place clean and fresh and neat! We used the laundry service too which was great! Who wants to pack a TON of stuff? The day got a little hot but there is plenty of shade around and hammocks everywhere to lounge in. A dip in the pool was so wonderful too! Gorgeous pool with a rock waterfall that is amazing! We had lunch and drinks served to us right there at the pool one day which was heaven! We took a tour to Isla Tortuga and had a BLAST! The snorkeling is amazing! DO take the offered life vist though as it makes it so easy to float along and not be bothered by waves or current. If you plan to do this also bring an underwater disposible camera! So cheap and so worth it! The boat captain then took us to a different island where the kids could play on the beach and we could lounge. A covered pavillion area with tables was our lunch locale where the captain and his asst's grilled a wonderful fish and chicken lunch for us which was probably the best thing I have ever tasted. Those fish were swimming that morning and the captain and his friends had caught them themselves. He also opened fresh fruit with a machete which the kids got a kick out of! We all passed around the coconut so we could taste the juice that was inside and eat the fresh coconut. My dh wont TOUCH the stuff but he tasted then juice and the meat and said it was amazing! So different and fresher than any coconut I have ever had. The captain was very friendly too and full of great info for us. He went out of his way too to make sure the kids got to see the dolphins and sea life and even explained what they saw and what to watch for. Evenings at Ylang Ylang were perfect too! They can be so romantic or peaceful or full of life. Your choice! One night we had a bonfire on the beach which was so nice. My gf got married here and it was a beautiful ceremony. Ylang Ylang handled it all. I think it was one of the best ceremonies I have ever witnessed. Somehow they made it very personal and touching even though the hotel had just met them a few days before. The food and service at the wedding reception was amazing too! The displays were just gorgeous! The waiters, waitresses and bar staff were attentive and so nice. They were never rude or pushy or obvious as some can be but they always seemed to be right there when you needed them but you never really even saw where they came from. lol That is service! The front desk person (Jennifer?) at Ylang Ylang was so helpful and full of info too. The gift shop was surprisingly well stocked and affordable too! Got a few things to take back home that were great! All in all I cant wait to go back to Ylang Ylang. Wish I could just live there! It is absolutely amazing and beautiful and wonderful. The website just does not even come close to explaining or showing you how wonderful this place is. Perfect for romantic getaways, vacations and just some peace and luxury!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank hr78932
Reviewed 31 March 2008

We had a fantastic stay at Ylang. We stayed first in Dome 6, which, although away from the beach, boasted fabulous wildlife watching. White-faced monkeys came in every evening to sleep in the trees directly above us, and guatusas and iguanas abounded. We switched to Coco Joe's the last two night (we booked late, and our bungalow wasn't available the full week), which has a beautiful view of the beach from the porch. We ate breakfast and dinner at the restaurant; the food was absolutely delicious, and the menu quite varied. We were a little worried about not having air conditioning, but found we really didn't need it, and even used a blanket some nights.

All of the staff was wonderful. Due to problems with our flight, we didn't arrive until almost midnight, but we had been in contact with Ylang continuously, and Mario was waiting for us in town to take us to the resort. Throughout our stay, all of the staff was marvelous and bent over backwards to make us feel welcome.

We didn't leave the resort except to walk into town, do a zipline tour, and do some hiking close to the resort. I took advantage of the yoga classes and massage, and enjoyed both. The beach at the hotel itself was very nice, although it is rocky, and not the best place for swimming. However, the water is very warm, and the views beautiful. Playa Grande is about a 25 minute walk, and is a beautiful, flat beach with lots of space to swim or boogie board.

There are bugs. They're not terrible, but if you can't deal with some local wildlife in your room (including ants, grasshoppers, and geckos), then you shouldn't stay here. There are no screens on the windows. We didn't need the mosquito netting, although it made us feel a little more secure after meeting a giant grasshopper in our room the first night. There's no in-room phone or TV. Again, there's plenty to do without these things, but if you want to feel "connected", this isn't the place to stay. We did use the wi-fi, and it worked perfectly.

Our only complaint was the terrible beach chairs! There are hammocks which are quite comfortable, but it would have been nice to sit on a comfortable chair on the beach, sip a tropical drink, and watch the tide come in. The pool too is a little small; it can be hard to get a chair in the middle of th day in busy season.

If you want a place to get away from it all, eat great food, and relax, this is it. If you want an all inclusive resort that is pure luxury, this isn't it. (Think swim-up bars). Personally, I was thrilled with Ylang, and I would return with no hesitation. It was fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jen017
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Hotel Amor de Mar
Hotel Amor de Mar
#3 of 18 in Montezuma
Nature Lodge Finca los Caballos

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!