“Great place to stay”

Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed 13 August 2014

It´s a great place. Easily the best one in Montezuma. The pool is beautiful, the service is great. The food is magnificent and the spa is really relaxing. At night the sound of the waves is wonderful and all the wild life living free is awesome.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This resort is easily the best one in Montezuma. The pools are extraordinary with the beach right beside them. Howler monkeys everywhere just giving that great tropical paradise feel. The staff is great and fast and it feels safe all around. Highly recommended resort

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Beautiful property right on the beach with breakfast and dinner included. The staff is just fantastic and so pleasant. The food is excellent and the views unparalleled. The pool is small but just gorgeous. The beach is lovely but due to the surf it is not a swimming beach. The yoga studio overlooks the beach and yoga instructors are great. Best view from a yoga studio ever. There are at least two yoga classes a day. They are not part of the inclusive price but are not expensive. Its a good resort if you want to just get away from it all, eat good food and relax.

A few things to be aware of: it is in the jungle..there are spiders, lizards, monkeys and yes, even scorpions. I was actually stung by a scorpion in the room but it wasn't bad and I have had bee stings that were worse. I had lavender oil with me that took care of it right away. The scorpions aren't poisonous but just be aware if you have small children. The other piece to be aware of is the walk to town. There is no paved road. You will need to walk partly on the beach and then on an unpaved road about 1/3 mile or more. It gets dark at 6:30 pm so you need a flashlight to walk to town and back in the evening. My daughter and I did it every day for yoga class and had no problems. The hotel provided us with a flashlight for the walk. However, if you are elderly or bringing a senior (like my Mum) be aware that there is no shuttle to town and back. Although it was fine for my daughter and I ..I may have reconsidered the stay for my Mum if I had known in advance there was no shuttle to town and back from the resort. The distance and lack of stable walking environment was a bit tough for her.

All in all it is a beautiful property that is very relaxing with amazingly wonderful staff. The only drawback is the walk to town on an unlighted rocky dirt road. That really didn't trouble my daughter and I ..just was a bit tough on Mum. Again, I would recommend Ylang Ylang if you are looking for a romantic spot or just want to get away from it all. The couples there seemed to be having a wonderfully romantic time.

Room Tip: The surf is very loud by the cabins on the beach. If you don't mind the loud Pacific surf then...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank allyson360
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The service was the best I've ever received in Latin America. I was very pregnant while traveling and they did an amazing job of catering to my specific needs no matter the scenario. I was able to partake in more low key versions of many activities. The staff was super friendly and professional, not to mention the value you got for what you paid was out if this world. Definitely would recommend Ylang Ylang if your looking for a relaxing all inclusive at good value with great service and connections to all of the activities in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Emacy001
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Fantastic park with monkeys "flying" all around.
Howler monkeys as well as the white-faced capucin monkeys.
This is really on the edge of the jungle right on the beach.
The restaurant is very good, although I would try something else than the mixed seafood next time (not bad, but I think they have other and better options).
The restaurant has also a fantastic view on the pacific.
Also the service is perfect.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TheBelgianBrussels
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

First off this experience was incredible. My wife and son both wanted to consider moving here after our visit.
It makes more sense to utilize the shuttle service from the hotel. My wife, son and I rented a car and it was most cumbersome. Simply finding the place is a task as you have to time everything so that you make the ferry and it becomes somewhat concerning.
Upon arrival we were greeted well and from the hotel taken to the resort. The rooms were exactly as described very comfortable yet unique in the design and layout in the resort itself was beautiful. You feel as though your staying in the jungle (uh, you are) with the ocean right outside the door. We saw many Monkeys including howler monkeys. We saw plenty of iguanas, crabs, armadillo and other animals. The staff was very responsive and gave us realistic time lines too anticipate dining as well as other amenities. Food was well prepared and it was bright enough for us to eat for seven days without issue. (my son loved the chocolate milk they prepared for him daily).
Visiting the island we hiked the waterfalls, zip lined and surf several days (surfing with Alberto was definitely a highlight), the bohemian shops in walking distant were convienient and we also went to the local hotel where they featured a film which was great for my son (life of pi). The owner takes great pride in providing world class experience to a variety of different types of people. The pool is well taken care of and great for an evening swim. It helps to be comfortable with an outdoors experience. Those that are willing to accept an environment outside of the typical 4 star resort will really appreciate this gem. It has been a full year since we enjoyed Ylang Ylang and i can honest say my Wife and Son has not gone an entire week since without talking about Ylang Ylang. I often hear "Dad, when are we going back"?
May 2013~
Ps.
The owner is nothing less than a fantastic individual that took time to speak with us about life on thenisland, his tramsitiin, family, employees etc. He is a stand - up guy with a huge heart...don't let his tone in the reviews sway you.
James Smith and family.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ATLCURACAO
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife & I began our 11-night Costa Rica honeymoon with a 4-night stay at Ylang Ylang. We could not have dreamed of a better start to our trip. Fresh off the wedding, we were physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted. Ylang Ylang was the perfect place to relax, decompress, and unplug. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with a refreshing/chilled passion fruit drink, and escorted to our bungalow. On the way we saw 2 monkeys cleaning one another in the trees!! Delightful first impression!

Truly one of the highlights of the resort is the dining experience. Both breakfast & dinner are included. Not only was this some of the best food we tasted in Costa Rica, but the overall presentation of the entrees was extraordinary! You almost feel guilty sticking a fork in it. It's just so beautiful! Rafael was by far our favorite server. He is as good as it gets. First class all the way!

For activities in Montezuma, we hiked to a nearby waterfall, went horseback riding on the beach, rented an ATV for 1/2 a day, and took a Yoga class. We arranged each of these through the front desk. If you're looking for adventure, I would absolutely recommend renting an ATV for an afternoon. My wife and I drove over to Santa Teresa (approx 40-45 mins). It was nice to experience the Mal Pais/Santa Teresa beaches for a day. They're absolutely gorgeous!

Montezuma is a small coastal town. During our 4-night stay, we were able to see many (all) of the other hotels in the area. Ylang Ylang is clearly THE BEST. There isn't a close second. Spend the extra money & stay here... it will be an experience you'll never forget!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the beach bungalows. Falling asleep & waking up to the sound of waves crash...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank Brian W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Hotel El Jardin
Hotel El Jardin
#6 of 18 in Montezuma
Nature Lodge Finca los Caballos

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!