Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Hotel Los Mangos(Montezuma)
  • Pool
Hotel Lucy(Montezuma)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsbreakfast and dinnerbeach bungalowtent cabinsbeach frontland rovercosta ricain townjoe's bungalowtree top canopydestination weddingrestaurant staffyour luggageplaya grandesister hotelwalk along the beachtunayoga studio
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 May 2010

The service is outstanding, food is amazing, rooms are beautiful, spa treatments are wonderful, great swimming pool, beautiful beaches (miles of beach), i could go on and on. The staff is amazing, friendly, fun, and prompt to help with what ever your needs are. I really cant say enough about my experience at Ylang Ylang resort. If you are thinking about visiting Costa Rica, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2010

My parents and I stayed at the Ylang Ylang for 3 nights and 4 days. We wish we could have stayed longer. We are used to the fancy super resorts is tourstiy locations but this was beyond any place we had ever stayed at. It's a 10 min walk from town along the beach, there is a land rover that you might be able to catch early in the morning but there is no actual road to the hotel. It's very secluded but not cut off from the rest of the world. And the town of Montezuma was fantastic too, so we were glad we had easy access to it and all it had to offer as well.

We were in Coco Joe's Bungalo. It was definitely different. My parents slept on the main floor and I slept in the small loft above, and when i say small i mean i had to get changed on the bed and couldnt stand up strait because it was so close to the cieling (but then again I'm relatively tall and uncooridinated anyway so that may have been a contributing factor to my slight difficulties up there). The view from the room was absolutely incredable too, we looked strait out at the ocean and were surrounded by the rainforest for amazing wildlife viewing. We saw a large family of whitefaced monkeys passing by and a variety of birds and lizards while we were there. The room was nothing short of amazing but we always had to make sure that the windows were closed tight, the bugs could always find their way in.

Everyone was super friendly there too. It was unbelievalbe service. By our second day the staff made us feel like family. They were always offering to do everything for you, you never had to ask. They can book all tours from the front dest along with being able to provide anyone with general information, gift shop service, and even extra towels.

It's safe to say that you stay was nothing short of absolutely amazing. And one of the things that I loved most was that the Ylang Ylang, along with many other places in Costa Rica, was eco-friendly. They were so commited to protecting, preserving, and helping the environment in any and all ways possible. Maybe i just liked this because i'm a treehugger but it's really important to realize the natural beauty before its too late and has been replaced with artificial beauty. they Ylang Ylang had an impecable balance of this.

My only issue with our stay was that it was at the beginning of the rainy season so there were big storms for 2 out of the 3 nights that we were there. They would start between 6 and 8 at night and end before dawn but the combonation of thunder and pounding rain tends to make sleeping difficult when your staying in a bungalo in the middle of the jungle. But like i said, regarding the rest of the hotel, we couldnt have asked for more.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank bumpsetspike12
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Let me tell you my Ylang Ylang story...By some incredible stroke of luck, I found Ylang Ylang Resort by surfing the internet for places to have a wedding in Costa Rica. My fiance and I had never been to Costa Rica so we had some homework to do. I read EVERY review on trip advisor, scoured through the Costa Rica guidebooks, maps, weather reports, looked at every picture on Flicker and on Ylang Ylang website, scrutinized their menu, etc. etc. and when I saw that the Ylang Ylang even came complete with a built-in wedding planner, I was sold. Planning a destination wedding in a destination you have never been is risky -- anyone will tell you. I expected bumps in the road. I figured it would rain. I figured not too many people would show up. blah blah. In other words, I was excited, but prepared!

What I could never, EVER, have expected was the absolute best wedding, party, resort, and family that I could have ever dreamed of. I keep telling people -- it was like a dream! And it is all because of the absolutely incredible, dedicated, hard-working staff and people at Ylang Ylang that felt like family after our single week there. Not to mention that I think they have beautifully preserved one of the most exquisite places on earth!

I can't possibly fill you in on all the details that made this place so amazing -- but I promise, this is a place that pays attention to detail. The staff learn your names if you stay for a couple of days. You will have fresh flowers in your room every day. You will eat wonderfully cooked meals in a location that appreciates the natural beauty of it's surroundings. I had two amazing spa treatments where I, again, felt the attention to detail really set this place apart. The pool is beautiful. The ocean is spectacular. The grounds are gorgeous. The rooms are cute, comfortable, and all have a great deck or porch.
(And you can't go wrong with the price, which includes two great meals per day... trust me - dinner alone is worth it!)

We stayed in Coco Joe's and loved it. But I had all my friends and family spread throughout the resort and I didn't hear a single person who didn't like their accomodations. This is an awesome chill-out spot, with hammocks strung up and tucked around in perfect chill-out locations with views of the ocean.

I feel like a found a hidden treasure in Ylang Ylang and if I didn't love them so much, then I wouldn't tell anyone else about them so that it could continue on, unspoiled, in cute little Montezuma forever! People don't believe you when you give five stars for everything -- but, I really think they deserve it, so check it out!

I'm happy to give you more details, but it is certainly, the most perfect place for a wedding. They did everything just beautifully, and Moraya is the greatest wedding coordinator EVER! He and his family even put in extra effort to give John and I something as simple as a few plumeria (flor blanca) that we wanted for a special reason for the wedding. Truly, attention to the important details.
I will never be able to thank them enough for what turned from risky business into one of the best weeks of my life!

1  Thank cinpin7
Reviewed 8 May 2010

We stayed at Ylang Ylang for four days at the end of a busy holiday in CR. We wanted relaxation and a bit of pampering, and we definitely got it. The hotel is set in a great location - amazing views of the ocean from the restaurant and our room's terrace, and we saw a surprising amount of wildlife (monkeys, agoutis, birds, crabs) within the grounds. The staff (particular mention for Harald in the restaurant, and Mario) were great - very helpful and friendly. The food in the restaurant was top-class. We don't normally stay full board (breakfast and dinner are included), but it was a pleasure to eat all of our meals on-site.

Reviewed 2 May 2010

We spent our first of three weeks in Costa Rica at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, and it was by far the best place we stayed at. We couldn’t have been happier. The grounds at the resort are absolutely gorgeous and very well kept – the website does not do it justice! It truly is paradise.

Our accommodations were very cute, and had everything we needed, including an outdoor shower! What an experience showering under the stars! We stayed in Coco Joe’s bungalow, the ‘honeymoon suite’, and it had an amazing loft with a king-sized bed and the most gorgeous view of the ocean. I had the opportunity to see the other types of accommodations since we were a group of 34 people for our wedding, and the other bungalows (private and beach) are extremely cute, and perfect for couples. The rooms/suites are all located in a building and are similar to any hotel room. If you are going to make the trek all the way here, I highly recommend a bungalow! The beach bungalows have a deck and view of the beach, whereas the private ones are further in the jungle with no beach view. There are two ‘private’ bungalows however they are right next to each other and you can see your neighbour’s deck from the other bungalow.

All rooms have A/C, a fridge, sink, and wireless internet access. There are no phones or TVs, but there is really no need for them here! If you ever have an emergency and need a phone, the front desk staff will gladly help you out.

The luxury tents are very quaint and great for budget travellers. You won’t have A/C here, but you do have a ceiling fan.

I have read a few reviews where people have complained about the ants and crabs that sometimes get in the rooms – remember, you are in Costa Rica. Costa Rica seems to be one of the few places that maintains a close balance with nature. If you’re looking to hide between four walls with a TV and phone, then don’t come here! Yes, sometimes ants show up, the crabs come out after it rains, and you will also see geckos on the walls, and maybe some spiders. You will also see capuchins, howler monkeys, and amazing birds and hear many different insects. It’s part of the beauty of this place. If you’re not ready to experience a part of nature, then I wouldn’t recommend staying here or going to Costa Rica, for that matter. The ants/crabs really aren’t that bad. The crabs are afraid of you and will always get out of your way. As for the ants, just don’t leave your luggage open on the floor.

Most resorts I’ve been to provide a buffet breakfast and dinner. Ylang Ylang, however does not. Instead, they provide you with a GOURMET breakfast and dinner every single day! The food is absolutely delicious and there is a lot to choose from on the menu, including vegetarian and vegan options. We ate extremely well while staying there.

The staff at Ylang Ylang were very helpful and accommodating, friendly, and absolutely amazing all week. “Super Mario”, the driver, took care of our luggage on arrival and departure. He also helped us throughout the week when we were in town, and provided tips here and there about things to do, and the best places to rent ATVs, etc. The kitchen/bar staff were like family by end of week: Patricia, Harold and Christian were so amazing with all of us. They even let loose a little on the dance floor during our wedding reception! The front desk staff, Rene and Alejandro were fantastic. They took care of booking any tours we needed and pointed us in the right direction for day trips.

Our wedding day was absolutely perfect. Kaya, the wedding coordinator, took care of everything. He was enthusiastic, on the ball, and really made sure everything went according to plan. I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day.

At first glance the prices seem high, but once you arrive at Ylang Ylang it all makes sense. The location, the food, and the staff are well worth the price to stay here. Our entire group of family and friends were so pleased with their week at Ylang Ylang. My new husband and I are already planning to go back for our anniversary! I highly recommend staying here and enjoying a true piece of paradise.

2  Thank ylagam