“Stunning setting, top-rate service, & deliciousness”

Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Just returned from Montezuma, and WOW! We got an unbelievable low-season rate of $70 pp/per night for the room, breakfast and dinner. I hesitated, wanting to be able to explore restaurants in town, but this was SO worth it!! The cuisine here is mostly organic, local, generously proportioned, sophisticated but not stuffy, and delicious.

Our room in the main building was on the first floor, and looked directly out onto the beach. A 10-second walk takes you down a path to the beach, with hammocks under the palms on the way there. Absolutely perfect! This is a private beach, so there is no noise except for the crashing surf. It's a rocky beach, so don't expect Caribbean blue waters and all sand.

The landscaped grounds at Ylang Ylang blend perfectly into the surrounding rain forest, giving the whole place a refined yet natural feel. The waterfalls in the huge pool gave a much-needed massage after a 5-hour RT beach hike to a natural waterfall further south.

2 days in Montezuma were not enough. We should have stayed longer!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 August 2010

We arrived at Sano Banano in Montezuma (the sister hotel you have to route through) with no real expectations... we had a travel book in our possession that highly recommended Ylang Ylang but we did not expect it to be sooooo incredible.

Once you arrive at Sano Banano they call the hotel and... depending on the tides... they send transport for you. Sano Banano is a different story... put up with them as those at Ylang Ylang are incredible. I met two members of the Sano Banano staff that I thought were accommodating and kind and three who literally delivered the worst service I have ever had and were rude on top of that. But as I said, put up with them, Ylang Ylang is more than worth it, and maybe you'll be lucky and get one of the nice employees who is still nice to tourists.

You can only reach this hotel via Land Rover on the Beach. It's only a 10 minute ride... and a very cool ride at that... it is definitely 4x4ing on the beach and then all of a sudden paradise appears. It's such a neat feeling to only be able to reach your destination this way... Ylang Ylang is an amazing, secluded, hidden jem.

I recommend staying in a dome... I did not see the inside of their standard or tent style rooms though I presume they are very nice because everything at this hotel was well done. The Dome's have beautiful balcony's that view the ocean. Some domes are set back in the Jungle a bit, which I personally really liked, I highly recommend Dome 5, though as I said, there are others that are closer to the beach.

The service at this hotel is impeccable, we arrived to a welcome drink and never once had to touch our bags. The reception organized all of our transport for us and did extensive research to find us the best options. The restaurant staff are amazing as well.... the only thing I would say here is that if you are someone that has spent a lot of time in Mexico (as I have) service is much different in Costa Rica... they seemingly would rather leave you be until you call them over so as not to harass you. But once you call them over, they are most accommodating.

The room rate includes breakfast and dinner and believe it or not the menu is lengthy... I believe there is only one dinner meal that you have to pay extra for out of a list of at least 20 dishes. Breakfast is a little more limited, there are only maybe 10 choices, but really who needs more than that. All the food was excellent and the presentation was impressive. The only other thing to mention here is that they do not serve red meat.... so not steaks for dinner and no bacon for breakfast....

This place is paradise, the pool is secluded and has a beautiful waterfall flowing into it.... every afternoon white-faced monkeys play on the roof of the reception... happy hour has great drinks to choose from... I cannot recommend this place enough... This was one of the last places I stayed on a month long trip and most definitely one of the more memorable.

Stay here, it's worth the extra money, and have an amazing trip!

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank KTBecerra
Reviewed 17 August 2010

My family of five totally enjoyed our visit to the Ylang Ylang Resort. The staff was friendly and helpful. We stayed in the beach suite as it was large enough for all of us to stay in one unit. The view from our upstairs king size bed was amazing! We were woken up by the Howler monkeys one morning. It was awsome to see the monkey families up close! We also saw many other animals on the property. The landscaping really sets off a relaxing and tropical feeling.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2010

My husband and I spend our honeymoon here in 1989 when Ylang Ylang was a couple of cleverly designed wooden cabins. As we have "grown up" as a couple so has this absolute jewel of a small hotel- yet it still includes a firm focus on so many things we hold dear- respect for nature, buildings and landscapes that welcome wildlife, organic and native foods, friendly and hospitable service, and quiet that is broken only by the sound of the waves. There are few family owned hotels in Costa Rica that rise to this level of excellence- and it feels good to come back to a place that cares as much about perserving all that is right about Costa Rica as we do.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We were celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary, and we are owners in Del Coco so I was looking for something special to celebrate our anniversary... I found Ylang Ylang on the internet, looked into to it and was very impressed by the way the reservation people followed my reservation and it goes on... Once we got to Montezuma, it was the beginning of a great experience. We will be back for sure... We just loved everything about Ylang Ylang... the staff was fantastic, the food was excellent and the site is just spectacular... Again thank you all for making this experience incroyable...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2010

It was like being transported to Fantasy Island. You are immediately taken off-roading in a Defender, which was thrilling to the whole family. Upon our arrival there was a family of monkeys swinging from the beautifully landscaped paradise of Ylang Ylang. We were greeted with fresh fruit juices for the family. Staff was very friendly, grounds and rooms were immaculate. The swimming pool with lush tropical foliage and a rocky waterful makes a beautiful picture backdrop. Our room had a loft and a balcony so there was plenty of room for a family of four. Food and service was great. Plenty of wildlife everywhere, iguanas, colorful birds, monkeys. A short 5 minute walk on the beach takes you straight to a waterfall. The entire family loved this hotel, it truly is a hidden gem.

I only have a couple of cons: The last stretch of road to get to the hotel are not paved, very rustic, make sure you have 4x4.
If you have to leave early to catch the 9AM ferry, let the front desk know the night before to request a driver be availble to take you out at 730. We didn't do this and there wasn't a driver available so we missed the early ferry.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I had the pleasure of staying three nights at Ylang Ylang and had an amazing time. My friend and I had been staying in Montezuma but were looking to get away from the bustle, traffic, sound of engines and nightlife in town. Ylang Ylang feels far away from all of that. The setting is great. You're nestled in on the edge of the jungle with the beach and ocean out your front door. The hotel sprawls along this stretch of jungle/beach connected by a series of paths and there are often monkeys, frogs, lizards and other beautiful things to see as you walk. The place feels very quiet and tranquil. Everyone on the staff was friendly and took great care to make sure we had whatever we needed without being invasive or pushy in the least. We stayed our first night in a suite with a gorgeous, large comfortable bed facing the ocean and the second and third nights in the room below which opened up to a small patio looking out at the ocean. Time was spent laying in hammocks, walking farther up the beach to a small waterfall and swimming hole where we cooled off and then a few kilometers farther up the coast along a jungle path to Playa Grande where we swam and played frisbee. Best of all, the price included breakfast (plus a non-alcoholic beverage) as well as dinner and a beverage. Since we were there in the off season, we already got a great deal on our rooms (the first night was $50 off and the second and third were $30 off the regular price). But the food being added in made our stay a complete bargain (going out to eat in Montezuma is quite spendy). And the food was FANTASTIC. We tried thai teriyaki chicken stirfry, parisian sea bass, tropical pancakes, gallo pinto (typical Costa Rican breakfast), tuna steak, all the juices and coffee and everything was stellar. I would stay at Ylang Ylang again in a heartbeat and would recommend it heartily to couples looking for a romantic, private experience in a lush tropical setting. I'm not the kind of traveler who looks for luxury type stuff. I've always avoided the type of resort settings that are often advertised where you're surrounded by a big fence that keeps the real people/culture out and caters to your every whim. That is not at all what it feels like at Ylang Ylang. It feels authentic. And we could wander off and find/discover things whenever we wanted to and come back to a great room, and a great restaurant with healthy food. Pura vida!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
Hotel Aurora
Hotel Aurora
#15 of 18 in Montezuma

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!