“Relaxing!”
Review of Hotel El Jardin

Hotel El Jardin
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This was our 'splurge' stay on a budget backpacking trip through the southern Nicoya. The location was fantastic, the grounds are gorgeous and we were comfortable in our room. I loved waking up and spending the morning in the hammock on the deck. The pool was a great place to relax, especially after hiking the waterfalls. I would love to visit El Jardin again. Only downside was lack of breakfast or kitchen space.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 31 May 2012

El Jardin is centrally located and offers clean, smallish rooms which are fairly well-appointed w/ attractive wood panelling,A/C and nice sitting areas and hammocks outside each room. The pool is pretty nice and the grounds are well maintained. There is coffee at the reception desk each morning.
The lighting is not very good in the rooms tho I found the mattresses to be adequate. Nothing special but adequate. hence my review title "sufficient" for $60 a night.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here a few years ago and loved it.. Our Costa Rica adventure started in Playa Hermosa for our friend's wedding. Then we drove (not as bad as people say) 4 or 5 hours up the coast and across the ferry to Montezuma. Some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen.
Checking in at El Jardin was nice and easy. We were after hours and just called the manager on his house phone and he came down and checked us in to the first room we stayed in.. not the best. The view was great, right in front of the awesome pool but it was dark and small and the bathroom was very cramped and dark..I was alright with it being that we didnt plan on being in the room much. But my wife was feeling a little cramped so we asked what other options we had for rooms. Without any problems we were granted the BIG house.. AWESOME...it is a little bit of a hike up the steps to the house but well worth it. Feels like your in a tree house, literally at canopy level and amazing view of the small town and bay.
After a one day trip around the small town and meeting just about everyone we had our little set up complete.. bought mosquito smokers and candles, fresh fruit and rum.. felt just like home. I even got my beautiful wife to take a shower outside in the semi private shower attached to a tree just a few steps from the front door.

Pros: location, price, view, YOU'RE IN COSTA RICA, pura vida attitude of everyone we met
Cons: little hard to cool off at night, long hike everytime you leave (little dangerous in the rain and after a few beers)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank soresurfer
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The place was pretty average. Sevice was very good. Our first room the AC was busted, they moved us to another room right away. We were in a room right in front of the pool which is gorgeous and well maintained and, includes a whirlpool.

We were stupid tourists, got tipsy and forgot our shoes on top of our car. From the two minute walk form the car to our room and back to our car again and they were gone. Needless to say don't leave anything laying around or oyur car unlocked. Live and learn.

The locals are friendly and love to party. This relaxed artsy town is one worth visiting but crazy expensive in high season, because we went in low season we were able to haggle a bit on the price of the room. Overall a nice place but still a bit pricy for the experience. Also be ready for the howler monkey wake up call, 5am.

Room Tip: Ask to see several rooms before you book and haggle this place will come down on their prices in low...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jody18
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed here on night in February after taking the taxi boat over from Jaco. I paid $95 for the night which was a notch up from some of the other rooms because it was higher up with veiws. The rooms all have nice decks with hammocks, the AC worked great, the room was very comfortable. The staff was helpful in my reservations and booked the taxi boat for me. It has a great location just a block up the hill so your just off the beaten path. My stay was quiet, and the room was basic but clean with a great view. Beautiful well kept grounds as well.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This is my 2nd stay at this hotel....I still stand firm that this is the 2nd best hotel in Montezuma behind the Ylang Lang, but the mattresses are terrible. I was here about 5 years ago, and the beds were old and busted up then...Definitely the same mattresses on this trip. Likewise, you will not be impressed with the bathrooms or luke warm showers either

The location, gardens and pool however, are clearly the best in town...So are the pacific views and proximity to wildlife (in particular, giant howler monkeys that sound like King Kong outside your room each night) Overall, I dont think you are going to find anything in this price range in monteauma that can compete

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BfromChicago
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We showed up in Montezuma with no reservations so walked around and looked at several places before deciding upon here. It is a bit spendy for the area, but it served it's purpose. I've seen several reviews state that the jacuzzi had cold water, but I'm not sure if people realize NO PLACE in Costa Rica heats their jacuzzi's....in CR "jacuzzi" means jets, not heated tubs like in America.
We had a room by the pool which was nice, but the property right next door has chickens so be prepared to get woken up by crowing at 5am. If your AC is running it will drown out that noise fairly well though. I agree with other reviewers the beds are somewhat uncomfortable, and although the AC did work, the thermostat did not, so it was either full bore, or off.
All in all, if I went back I would drive the short distance to St. Theresa and stay there instead of Montezuma, but it was a decent place to hang for a couple of days.
The "included breakfast" is somewhat of a joke, a cup of coffee and some pre-packaged flatbread. It will not be satisfactory for 99% of people, however there is a grocery store a 30 second walk down the hill which has a whole array of anything you would want.

Room Tip: If you are able bodied, request a room up the hill.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple