“Very satisfied”
Review of Hotel Aurora

Hotel Aurora
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

$10 a night for a private room with double bed and private shower was awesome. I expected us all to be in dorms but four of us were in one large room each with a double bed and sofas and private shower. Plus there was a fridge in the room!
AC was $15 per night extra and made the stay even more comfortable. There is a pool table and lots of hammocks/seating area, plus wifi and a computer in reception.
Kitchen was pretty small so got crowded but there were plenty of tables to eat at. Location is good too as its just at the top of the high street. Unlike Hostel Llena Luna where are friends were, you don't have to walk up a massive hill to reach it.
Despite there being a strange smell to the place it was clean.
I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Great location. Right in town (not up the hill) but far enough away from Chicos bar to be able to sleep. Excellent value and the owners are very friendly and relaxed. They work hard to keep the place, particuarly the kitchen clean. Great and plentiful common areas. Only problem would be no wifi in the rooms but this is pretty standard in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Rooms on the kitchen side lead out on to the common areas with wifi.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mackiej1
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I have stayed 5 days in Hotel La Aurora. There is free internet and free coffee. Every moning I drunk coffee under the sunshade. The personal are very nice and helpfull. The recepción is day and night open. They have security cámaras. I always feel safe at Hotel La Aurora.
Thanks,
Tom

Room Tip: in the low season the have very cheap rooms downstairs
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed as a solo traveller in February and found it perfect. The location is great, room was clean and tidied daily, staff were amazingly friendly (even willing to try and learn English from me and vice versa) and I'd stay here again for definite! I felt very safe during my stay, there's always someone by the front desk and entrance to greet you. Its a very relaxing place indeed. Thanks to the staff who were fantastic during my stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

We found this place whilst wandering around looking for somewhere to stay. It cost $20 for a basic double room which was excellent value considering other hostels with dorms were charging $15 per person. The basic rooms include a mini fridge, fan and ensuite bathroom. Towels are also included.
The location is excellent, very close to the shops and supermarket, beach and not far from the road to the waterfall.
There is a kitchen and lots of communal areas.
Unfortunately the wifi did not work for the four days we were there and there were lots of Mosquitos in our room - if you have a mosquito net I would bring one, although there wasn't really anywhere easily to hang one from in our room. We also found a mouse dropping in our room but we never saw a mouse and there is a cat on site which probably helps to deal with these things!!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I'm glad I saw these reviews after we stayed here about being robbed. We actually stayed here AFTER being robbed in Santa Teresa. We booked in for 1 night and ended up staying 2.
The rooms are clean and comfortable and the price was great, especially for what is around town.
It's a nice large hotel/hostel with a good basic kitchen and the reception were always friendly and helpful.
The room was hot, but we opted for one with fan only and no aircon. You can always upgrade if you want air conditioning.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This is not a safe place to stay. Whilst we were staying here someone broke into our room in the night and stole my bag with wallet, passports, camera etc in it. Although the location is central and probably the price is fine, the experience we had here was not worth it at all.

Probably the worst was the reaction of the staff, particularly the owner, who were not only unresponsive, unhelpful and pretty unsympathetic but also complained I was 'not a nice person' because I asked to be refunded for the nights we had booked ahead but would now no longer be staying!

Having offered to come with us to the police station this offer was withdrawn, with the owner saying she lived hours away, and then turning up half an hour later and sitting on the chairs outside reception! The owner also said there had been similar incidents of robbery but was clearly in no rush to put better locks on the doors or even notices up to warn other travellers to be extra careful.

Do not stay here - the rooms are unsafe and the owner unhospitable

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Rachel M
TomAurora, Manager at Hotel Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Hello, my name is Tom. Since the 1 of June 2013 I am been leasing Hotel Aurora. I have read a lot of reviews of course. I am really sorry for what happened in Hotel Aurora in March 26. I can imagine that you feel really bad and in the reaction of the employees of Hotel Aurora. I have asked, ´how did all this happen´. First, the security guard didn´t take his job serious. He didn´t saw the thieves. The next morning there was no employee present who want to take the responsibility. In this terrible situation the manager have to report the crime. The police can make an investigation and make a declaration for the insurance company.
These proceedings didn´t happened. I can´t change what has happened. Although I wasn´t the manager yet, I take the complaints serious, because I don´t want that this happen again. I have taken actions to prevent this happen again. First, the security guard doesn´t work anymore in this hotel and second we have security cameras, so we can see what happens day and night. My new staff takes safety very seriously. We have security 24 hours and with the cameras I can guarantee you that Hotel Aurora is a very safe place.
Thanks for reading my response.
Tom