“There are rooms without a window”

El Sano Banano Beachside Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed 26 November 2013

“El Sano Banano”: Who would not like the name? So we booked the night before arriving after some browsing on the Internet, and … landed in a room with a window to a dark corridor. Arriving late we were too tired to change. We later discovered that there are a couple of other rooms without a view, which probably is OK as long as you know it before booking.

Our room proved to be all right in all other respects. However, WiFi was not working there, so we had to go downstairs for sufficient reception. Misleadingly, the swimming pool listed on the web under “Amenities” is located at the Ylang Ylang Beach Resort about a 15 minutes’ pleasant beach walk from our hotel. The next day we went there for a splash, an experience we recommend.

The El Sano Banano staff was friendly and helpful. We also very much enjoyed our breakfast on the terrace which was included in the reasonably low price for the room. We eventually stayed two nights and slept very well in the isolation of our room without a view.

Room Tip: View or no view that is the question! A place for cool people (We probably were not cool enough)!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 September 2013

This hotel was my only disappointment in almost three weeks in Costa Rica. My room was not ready when I arrived, and they invited me to have a drink (on my dime) while it was hurriedly made up. The toilet was dirty when I was shown to the room, which was tiny and cramped with two beds. The water in the shower was tepid. Food at the restaurant is relatively expensive for what you get. The movie night sounds like a good idea, but the volume is very loud and I found I had to leave and wander the streets of the small town to get away from it. Admittedly, I am not fond of movie theaters in the US for this reason.

The hotel staff was indifferent, but the wait staff for the restaurant was outstanding. Great bunch of guys (two are brothers). Hotel and entire block is owned by a Dutch employer. I didn't particularly like this fact and tried to eat elsewhere to keep my dollars (colones) local and get a better value for my money.

It was not a horrible experience, but I did get better value at an equally priced hotel in Manuel Antonio, which is known for being overpriced. (They had HOT water and very clean and spacious rooms. And an attentive staff.)

Overall, would not recommend Sano Banano. There are other hotels located up the hill (still VERY close to this tiny town) that look cute, are surrounded by green instead of streets, and may be a better value.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Deborah P
Reviewed 17 September 2013

El Sano Banano was one of the best places we stayed during our trip to Costa Rica. The rooms were sealed and clean, I was not paranoid of bugs (which is amazing!!!!)! The location was great... Montezuma is a small beach town and basically everything is right around you at this hotel. You are steps away from shops, restaurants, the beach, activities... whatever you might want to do here! The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating and the prices were pretty decent (I think around $60 per night). The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were good too. Everything was nice and clean with basic normal amenities (television, safe).

The restaurant downstairs is great for breakfast (their french toast was amazing! with passion fruit juice!) they had pretty good selections for their complimentary breakfast. On the other hand, for other meals, the menu was pretty extensive, normally priced but they are REALLY REALLY SLOW!!! One time we ordered a pizza and we waited over an hour to receive it. They also aren't very good at helping customize food orders, like instead of ordering one of their complicated, many ingredient pizzas, I wanted just a plain pizza with only green peppers, and they told me that they wouldn't be able to do this or it would take them longer than normal to prepare this order???? Doesn't this seem wrong and backwards??

Anyway, in such a small town this is one of the only restaurants that are available and comparable it might be a good one, but the service wasn't too great and the management did not resolve problems very well.

Overall, the hotel was pretty good and we would stay here again!

If you are looking for activities, there is a tour guide station a couple doors down from the hotel. They organized all of our activities and would highly recommend giving them a visit!

Room Tip: All rooms are basically the same, just depend on how many beds you need. Some rooms have (I think) l...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We really liked this hotel. It was clean with good beds and air conditioning for sleeping. The food cost as much as it does in the U.S., so we did not eat there all the time, but it was good when we did. American breakfast (eggs and toast or oatmeal) is included in the price. The staff were nice and very prompt and spoke great English. The hotel is pleasant. We watched the movie they show at night. Also, very clean. Gave us extra towels for the beach whenever needed. The rooms were just big enough to open your suitcase -- no place to unpack a suitcase. This is a nice hotel in the town, considering the budget options that surround it for surfers. We loved the location and walked to everything.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Rooms have a rustic feel and are comfortable with TV & AC and get cleaned to a good standard daily. Although try to make sure your room has a window as one or two don't have any!
The staff here were super friendly and a good laugh. The hotel in situated slap bang in the middle of the small village of montezuma so everything is very close by; Supermarket, restaurants, sodas, bars & travel agencies etc.
The free Breakfast is also very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013

El Sano Banano came to the rescue after our house rental didn't stack up. We arrived late in the evening in the middle of the pouring rain into a town we didn't know and found this gem. A room was available for us for the 3 nights we requested, for a great rate that included breakfast. The room was large enough for our family of four and our bags. Beds were comfy, shower was huge, water was hot, a/c was cold. So we were happy!
Every night they play a movie in the restaurant, which was great to relax after a busy day and enjoy a bite and movie. The food is very tasty, no matter if it's the free breakfast with your room or lunch or supper. Pizza was especially good! Dessert is pretty delish too.
Staff was great at making you feel at home, sadly I lost the card I wrote with the two shining stars on staff...Juuvi and Eduardo is my guess, but I know I'm not quite right. Sorry guys, you were so friendly and you deserve a shout out!
The option of using the pool at Ylang Ylang was much appreciated! It was a beautiful walk to the sister hotel of El Sano Banano, down the beach to this oasis...be sure to take a walk down there and have a dip in the pool! We watched white faced capuchin monkeys while was played in the pool. The grounds are amazing.
El Sano Banano is right in the middle of Montezuma so you can easily arrange tours, head to the falls for a walk, hit the convenience store or find any number of places to eat if you don't want to eat at the restaurant in the hotel.
The only thing I could really complain about would be that our room was directly above the kitchen (room #7). Most times it was a non-issue, but be warned that when they start closing at 10:30-11 pm, there's a lot of banging. Same goes for when they start prepping for the day (not sure what time, 6 am is my guess). It wasn't a deal breaker, just a little startling the first night because I wasn't expecting it.
Overall it was exactly what we needed and I would recommend it easily.

Room Tip: I would suggest trying to get a room NOT directly above the kitchen to cut down on some late night/e...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank katnboo
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Fantastic service, excellent cuisine. You feel right at home with movies at night, access to gorgeous and tranquil Ylang Ylang resort, and security 24hr a day. Would most definetly return to el sano banano!

• Stayed: July 2013