“Concrete prison feeling”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
EAST ST PAUL
“Concrete prison feeling”
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend staying here. The rooms are very tiny (1 single & 1 double bed with just enough room to walk around them). All 4 walls & the ceiling are stuccoed concrete. There are 2 small windows that look onto the concrete hallway wall. The rooms are above the restaurant. Every night they play really loud movies - & you hear it all loud & clear. There is a 10 inch old tv mounted near the ceiling by the bathroom. It is not nice here at all.

It is very overpriced for what you get. They do give you access to Ylang Ylang, which is a 10-15 min walk away. There you trade your key for 2 smaller towels. Their pool is small & nothing special.

The restaurant below is alright but very overpriced. Last night we had a quesadilla & BBQ chicken skewers with mash potatoes & it cost $40. The ambiance of the restaurant is one of a coffee shop.

My recommendation is choose somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank MELANIE E
uumatter, Owner at El Sano Banano Village Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Melanie, I am very surprised by your very critical review. First, you are obviously unaware that there are 12 rooms in the hotel and each is different. Most have views outdoors and some do not. Likewise, most of the rooms are not above the restaurant and the ones that are only have a small amount of sound leakage that only lasts until 9:30pm, the hour our events wind down. Montezuma town, in general, is a noisy environment. That is why we designed our rooms for sleeping purposes, keeping out the street noise quite well. Had we made our hotel out of wood, you instead would be commenting about the street noise and being unable to sleep.

Our prices are, contrary to your review, very reasonable. Consider the fact that breakfast, air conditioning, cable TV, hot water, wireless internet private parking and security and a very friendly and helpful staff are all included in the price. Add to that the added benefit El Sano Banano guests can use the pool and facilities at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, a very lovely beachfront pool, I might add, with a towel to boot. Not to mention the ambiance.

El Sano Banano Restaurant is very reasonably priced as well, when you take into account the quality of the ingredients used in preparation and the remote location and the difficulty that entails. The outdoor garden seating is lovely.

I happen to like cafes, by the way. They are cozy. Ours has been around since the early 80's.

In my experience, a vast majority of our guests are pleased with the economy of El Sano Banano. It often attracts people interested in the town of Montezuma and its nightlife as well as the great location it offers for proximity to the beaches, nature, other restaurants, shops and tours.

Please note that we are one of the few establishments that operate with a predominantly Costa Rican staff and though I personally am from the U.S., I have been fortunate to live and work with these wonderful people for over 38 years.

Likewise, I happened to notice that not one little positive comment came out of your review.
I am sorry we were unable to please you in some small way...

Lenny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The staff was as friendly as could be, the location was perfect, and the use of the expensive resort was a nice perk.wi-fi is awful in certain rooms. Works fine in the bar and restaurant. Restaurant did not serve me a bad meal in my 10 days I stayed.

• Stayed January 2014
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We took the opportunity to 4x4 from Playa Samara south along the Nicoya Penninsula to visit Montezuma. Came across El Sano Banano and really enjoyed the service and community - excellent stop! It is situated right in the main core area, near the beach, and it was a plus to be able to use the pool at the nearby Ylang-Ylang hotel also which was a fun visit also.

Room Tip: The staff were willing to show possible room options, so feel free to ask - that was a nice touch.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Great value for money, clean and neat rooms, excellent breakfast.
One of the best showers in Cr, where most "hot" water means "luke-warm" and limited. Here I actually had to turn down the temperature to find the sweet spot.

Room Tip: they have rooms that are "inside" the building; we enjoyed the lack of mosquitoes, but som...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Cartago, Costa Rica
Reviewed 21 December 2013

hotel is your best option in montezuma. foof is great,even a movie. nice artwork in hotel. next to a bus stop. town is boring. need a car to go places. if not you are at the mercy of tour co. food is very expensive in term of costa rican resturants.only nightlife is one bar. so i say you need only a one night visit to montezuma,which is overrated. enjoy life in costa rica

Room Tip: each room is now being decorated with fine artwork.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gbangs59
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 26 November 2013

“El Sano Banano”: Who would not like the name? So we booked the night before arriving after some browsing on the Internet, and … landed in a room with a window to a dark corridor. Arriving late we were too tired to change. We later discovered that there are a couple of other rooms without a view, which probably is OK as long as you know it before booking.

Our room proved to be all right in all other respects. However, WiFi was not working there, so we had to go downstairs for sufficient reception. Misleadingly, the swimming pool listed on the web under “Amenities” is located at the Ylang Ylang Beach Resort about a 15 minutes’ pleasant beach walk from our hotel. The next day we went there for a splash, an experience we recommend.

The El Sano Banano staff was friendly and helpful. We also very much enjoyed our breakfast on the terrace which was included in the reasonably low price for the room. We eventually stayed two nights and slept very well in the isolation of our room without a view.

Room Tip: View or no view that is the question! A place for cool people (We probably were not cool enough)!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Fishers, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This hotel was my only disappointment in almost three weeks in Costa Rica. My room was not ready when I arrived, and they invited me to have a drink (on my dime) while it was hurriedly made up. The toilet was dirty when I was shown to the room, which was tiny and cramped with two beds. The water in the shower was tepid. Food at the restaurant is relatively expensive for what you get. The movie night sounds like a good idea, but the volume is very loud and I found I had to leave and wander the streets of the small town to get away from it. Admittedly, I am not fond of movie theaters in the US for this reason.

The hotel staff was indifferent, but the wait staff for the restaurant was outstanding. Great bunch of guys (two are brothers). Hotel and entire block is owned by a Dutch employer. I didn't particularly like this fact and tried to eat elsewhere to keep my dollars (colones) local and get a better value for my money.

It was not a horrible experience, but I did get better value at an equally priced hotel in Manuel Antonio, which is known for being overpriced. (They had HOT water and very clean and spacious rooms. And an attentive staff.)

Overall, would not recommend Sano Banano. There are other hotels located up the hill (still VERY close to this tiny town) that look cute, are surrounded by green instead of streets, and may be a better value.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room here.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo