“NIce......but rustic....”
Review of Luna Llena Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Luna Llena Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“NIce......but rustic....”
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Well, I’ve mixed feelings about the ‘Luna Llena Hostel’, on the one hand the staff were very amiable and laidback and it is definitely worth the price as Montezuma isn’t one of the cheapest places to stay in Costa Rica. It's nice that it's out of the town a little, away from the noise of the bars etc. The communal balcony/chill out area is very nice, relaxing and tastefully done. There is a kitchen with fridges and cooking facilities to use and free coffee every morning. The room was about what you would expect for the price, ‘rustic’ and basic, but gave an excellent vantage point for some of the best monkey spotting I’ve had in Costa Rica (Howlers and white faced capuchins). My only negative comments are, I would make the casitas a little more mosquito proof. I know it’s the jungle and insects are inevitable, but it seems to me a pointless exercise to screen all the windows off but leave big unscreened gaps between the eaves and the wall and the various holes where pipes come in. Just a little higher standard of finish could easily rectify this problem. Also, I know it’s a petty gripe, but as soon as the owners left every night around 8.30p.m. after setting up the tranquil scene in the communal area for the guests (nice ambient music, relaxed lighting, candles etc.) the night guard would turn the music off, plonk himself down in the middle of everybody and start to watch ‘telenovelas’ at an annoying volume which was a real mood breaker. Apart from the negative comments I’ve said the overall experience was a positive one and well worth the money.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ricosauve34

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2009

This was one of my favourite places that we stayed in Costa Rica. The climb to get there was worth it. We stayed in one of the Cabinas with a great view. The common area/lounge was really nice especially at the end of the day, where we met alot of really nice people from all over the world who shared their travel stories with us. The first evening that we were there, the owners put on a BBQ with shrimp kabobs etc. It was really nice. There were white-faced monkeys all over the place and you could hear the howler monkeys as well. The washrooms were separate but we did not mind at all. All but one of the showers was cold, but we did not mind that either. The gardener was very nice and taught us a few things about the trees and the different fruit they produced. The owners were very helpful with bus information and things to do in the area. The prices are very reasonable. We will definitely go back to this place when we return to this area.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth061
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 April 2009

This place was freakin adorable! My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights and were sad to leave. We requested room 6, which is a cute little cabina that has an AWESOME view and a little private balcony. We slept with the windows open with the mosquito net, falling asleep to the sounds of the ocean (and the howlers too). This place really had the feel of staying in the jungle, I've never stayed anywhere like it and it was our favorite in Costa Rica. The bathrooms are separate, and a cold shower felt nice after beachin it all day. There was at least one shower that had a hot water heater too.

The open common area is nice, there is a kitchen (we didn't use), they sell water and more importantly beers. The staff was VERY helpful, they helped us book a hotel in Alajeula and told us about the $12 direct bus to San Jose. They locked our bags for us after we checked out so we could go to the beach, and even let us shower before our bus which was nice considering they are short on water during the dry season.

The hill up to the hotel isn't that bad to climb, is lit at night, and is just a short walk away from everything. If you don't mind walking out of your room to go to the bathroom, and maybe a few bugs (I only saw one little spider and I hate bugs, but YOU ARE IN COSTA RICA, get over it!), this is the perfect place to stay!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank little_debster
Wooster, OH
Reviewed 26 March 2009

I have mixed feelings about this little gem of a place. On the one hand the staff couldn't be nicer or more helpful. The setting is beautiful and it is well situated at the entrance to Montezuma proper. The rooms are affordable. If you are mature and travelling with your partner, avoid the top-floor rooms, which are large enough to accomodate bigger groups; hence you may have 12 partying spring breakers as your neighbors. Even though the spring breakers that this place attracts (along with Montezuma in general) are of the stoner variety, they are no less clumsy and obnoxious. My wife and I were able to get a cabin on a lower level for the remainder of our stay adjacent to rooms that hold fewer people, which made a big difference. Do not stay here either if you can't handle things like microscopic bugs that eat away at your flesh while you sleep (despite the mosquito nets on the beds) or adorable rodents that take up residence in your open luggage but leave the way they came in once you return. If you know how to handle this (i.e. by keeping your luggage closed), you'll be ok here. My main criticism, which I am reluctant to make because I really did like the place and its unique vibe, is I believe the management needs to change out the matresses, as they are most likely infested with bed bugs (mosquito repelant will help a little bit but doesn't do the job entirely). If you are a hard-core budget traveller who is not easily phased, you'll be ok. You'll be hard pressed to find anything in Montezuma, in my opinion, that can keep out the street noise, which justifies looking for the least expensive accomodations possible.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian C
CabuyaSurfClub, owner at Luna Llena Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2009
Upon reading this review, we contacted our 'bugman' to examine the room. He found no evedence of bed bugs. I have not heard of this problem here before, so I investigated bedbugs, and also did my own search. I again found non of the telltale signs. Also the mattresses are less than 2 years old.
We have found a non toxic parasite control called Diatomaceous earth. We will be treating the entire property with this product, to ward off potential insect problems. Rest assured we have no bed bugs, and thanks for the positive comments.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 20 March 2009

We stayed in there and loved it! There is no noise, just the waves at night and the occasional monkeys in the morning. Yet it is located within a short walking distance from the restaurants and beaches.There is a steep hill and a lot of stairs to get to Luna llena, but it is worth the climb. Communal kitchen works pretty well, we stored our food and beverages in the communal fridge and cooked breakfast and lunch almost every day. The view from the hotel is awesome! our room was very basic, but it had everything we needed- a bed, a mosquito net and windows. shared bathroom and shower were clean, but the shower had cold water (unless you want to use "the suicide heater", an electric gadget on top of the shower :) ).
Enjoyed the new year eve´s party they held, with the owner family, their personal friends and other quests.
If you enjoy a laid back atmosphere in the jungle, don´t need luxury or a swimming pool and definetely don´t want to spend a lot of cash-this is your spot!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aquanaut1
Hamburg
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Definitely one of the nicest places to stay in Montezuma:
amazing ocean view from everywhere, overlooking the cute village just 5 min away from downtown and the beach but quiet, clean, friendly and very fair priced - not much to complain if you don't mind the stairs, the reward awaits you up there! Great for backpackers and to hook up with some nice folks, I looked around quite a bit and saw nothing comparable. Amor del Mar eventually - but not for that price.

• Liked — ambient price location
  • Disliked — no wheelchairs no internet
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank 4patas
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2007

A lovely open-air style hostel run by a Swiss lady and her family. Accomodation consisted of simple bungalows set amongst the trees with (hot) shower rooms and toilets a few steps away.

There's a shared kitchen and communal lounge with a sea view.

• Liked — Location in the trees and hearing the howler monkeys calling!
  • Disliked — Quite a lot of steps!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family