“Sittin' Pretty...”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Costa Rica
“Sittin' Pretty...”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

It is not often that a local gets to write as a guest, rather than a neighbor, but winning the Facebook contest last fall for El Remanso afforded me a wonderful 2 night stay that I could treat my visiting friends to and get out of the house in town for a weekend away. With the fresh perspective of a staying guest, I can truly say that the services and food and accommodations at El Remanso were excellent and very much enjoyed by my friends as well as myself. Since I am already familiar with many of the attractions of the area, I used my visit to relax and sit and enjoy the sights and sounds of the rainforest from the front porch of our cabin. I was also able to take a nap...something that I rarely get a chance to do!
I want to thank Cindy and the rest of the staff for a very comfortable and enjoyable stay. I highly recommend it to those who want to experience the rainforest in close proximity, but with all the comforts of a first class hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Pullman, Washington
Reviewed 27 June 2011

El Remanso offers guests a truly once in a lifetime experience of Costa Rican culture, wildlife, and the rain forest of the Osa Penninsula. As first time travelers to the region my wife and I could not have chosen a better place to honeymoon. The rustic cabins are intimate and secluded and seem to be built right out of the landscape. The activities were just enough exersize to justify afternoon siestas. The food and drinks were excellent. The staff was warm, hospitable, and made us feel as if we were old friends returning to visit. The biologists and naturalists who guided us on hikes were a joy to interact with and learn from. I cannot say enough good things about the entire experience of El Remanso, I highly recommend it. Please visit their website and learn more about this amazing Eco Lodge!

Room Tip: All the cabins are beautifly simple and romantic
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 15 June 2011

This is not the place for someone looking for 5 star accommodations. You are looking at a spacey cabin but with louvered doors and mosquito netting. Its cool enough (barely) to be comfortable at night but the sounds of the jungle being literally in your room is an experience. The private acreage with the secluded beaches and nature trails is the real attraction here and the food is good but not Michelin rated. The road to get there is an adventure in itself. You know the type of Costa Rica vacation you want, if this is down your alley it would be hard to top El Remanso

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at El Remanso for our honeymoon and felt like we were treated like royalty! The staff is so friendly and unbelievably helpful, and our guided hikes were extremely professional. We learned A LOT about the species and history of Costa Rica and also picked up some new skills (like how to rappel down a waterfall)! Three delicious meals a day are included in the room pricing as well. Despite being absolutely in the middle of the rainforest, they managed to make the lodge very very comfortable and luxurious. I definitely recommend it if you appreciate nature and/or active/physical vacations.

Room Tip: The La Guinda is pricey but worth the view!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
newyork
Reviewed 5 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at El Remanso with our 2 kids (8 and 10) 4 nights the 3rd week of march. We had a blast: the lodge is very comfortable, the activities fun and unusual, the staff very friendly. We saw so many animals at any given moment of the day. Danny and Adrianna do everything to make you feel at home. The menus are set menus, but the staff was very flexible with the cooking (when the kids asked for pasta...).
Great activities not to be missed: jungle hike, surfing, visit to the animals Sanctuary, hike to the beach (steep though) and swim in the lagoon.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I spent 5 days with 3 friends at El Remanso lodge and we had the time of our lives. Their online description is pretty accurate. Simple, serene and off the grid. They are what they say they are. An eco lodge that offers a rain forest adventure. We enjoyed amazing meals (thank you Javier and Marlon), waterfall repelling, ziplines, kayaking, horseback riding, surfing, and fantastic guided hikes with Rinaldo and Gerardo. The guides know their stuff and are so passionate about what they do that you can't help but feel their excitement for nature! The atmosphere at El Remanso is much like family. They laugh, joke and help you when you need it. The staff made this trip an experience to remember and I can't wait to recommend them to others and hopefully travel back to the Osa soon!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 3 April 2011

My three friends and I just returned from a week on the Osa Peninsula at El Remanso lodge. The trip was absolutely amazing and far exceeded our expectations. We stayed in the group cabin called Casa Osa, which I highly recommend if you are traveling with a group. It was comfortable, beautiful and offered us a great view of the rain forest canyon just off of our deck. We woke up each morning to howler monkeys (5 AM--be prepared :), birds and insects singing us awake in the jungle just outside our room.
The food at El Remanso is delicious. It is made fresh each day with lots of local fruits and vegetables. We were never hungry between meals and everything was healthy and tasted great. I highly recommend the seafood as it is often the catch of the day!
The tours the lodge offers were unforgettable. We loved the waterfall repelling with Gerardo and Chico and horseback riding on the beach with MIguel. We also loved all of the guided hikes with Rinaldo and Gerardo. We learned so much about the animals, birds and insects of the rain forest and left with a new appreciation of the conservation efforts happening in the country.
But what really sets El Remanso apart from other places I have stayed around the world, are the people. They were amazing (running out of adjectives) and we left feeling like family. Danny and Adriana the owners were gracious hosts and they bent over backwards to make sure that my friends and I were enjoying our stay. We have been planning this trip for a year and from the start Cindy and Gabby helped us every step of the way over email and then again when we got to Osa...down to the last detail! In the restaurant Javier and Marlon were kind, funny, welcoming and happy to see us and talk each day. They made every meal a pleasure. Ellie helped enormously with planning all of our busy days of activities. Last but certainly not least are Rinaldo and Gerardo, El Remanso's guides. The tours with them were incredible and their warm, kind personalities help you feel at ease whether you are hanging off of a 70 foot waterfall or staring at a poisonous snake 10 feet away!
We would come back in a heartbeat. But not only for the great food, the beautiful pristine setting, the animals, and the adventure. We would come back to see our friends at El Remanso.
Tips: Bring both a camera and a waterproof camera, a good pair of water shoes, and binoculars! You don't need insect repellant--it's amazing--no mosquitoes! Also, this place is not for everyone! You need to be ready to live very close to many animals and insects. This lodge is best suited if you want a pristine, quiet setting with no frills (ie: no ac, big pool, resort feel). What makes this place great is the people it attracts. It is a truly special, unique place and we hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends