“A bit of heaven off the beaten path!”
Review of El Remanso Lodge

El Remanso Lodge
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Leaving El Remanso was the hardest part of our trip. It was our first time in CR and we went as a couple, no kids, and wanted to get away from the cities and be close to the forest. This was exactly that! But it wasn't cheap. By far the most expensive leg of the trip at about $200/night pp (that price included: 3 excellent meals each day, a few drinks, 2 tours, & 15% tip).

This Eco-resort received "Five Leafs" from the Certification for Sustainable Tourism. According to our guide Gerardo who has worked there since inception, they were the only Eco-resort to get "Five Leafs" on their opening inspection. So if sustainability and having a "green" adventure are important to you, than this is a great way to spend your time in the Osa.

In addition to the great food (choice of daily meat or seafood dish), ambiance, & room accommodations was the beautiful and wild beach below the resort. Big waves, no swimming, but the 100ft waterfall, lagoon, and tide pools are all free adventures that are easily accessible within a 20 min hike from the resort. We spent 2 days on the beach and did not see anyone else. Pristine!

Room Tip: Get a room up above the restaurant, not below. The rooms lower down on the trails (facing the ocean...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for El Remanso Lodge

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Best Service, Beautiful Clean Rooms, Amazing Food, Wonderful Wildlife!

From the moment you arrive you are Taken. Care. Of.

Best service I have ever experienced in Costa Rica. (I've traveled around CR a LOT the past two years)

The food was reallllly great, aside from the French Toast. The Tuna was the best I've ever had.

The trails are no joke, especially the long one. The beach is deserted and beautiful. (I only wish you could swim in it).

It was an amazing place for a four night stay.

NOTE TO DRIVERS: the road here is easy compared to most Costa Rican roads, you can totally drive here and check out the other hotels (that's how we found this place). As long as you have 4 wheel drive it's easy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2013

As my first trip to Costa Rica, El Remanso was better than any vacation experience I could have hoped for. I left here feeling completely relaxed, which was exactly what I needed after three grueling years of graduate work, and a really rough past year had left me exhausted on all levels. A week at El Remanso washed all of that away! From the amazing staff throughout the lodge, to the incredible food, to the breathtaking views and animal spotting, my experience here was nothing short of extraordinary. They truly take care of their guests in a way I didn't think existed in the hospitality business anymore. As someone who traveled here alone, I felt right at home with the staff, almost as if family was taking me in for the week. My very American brain had trouble with no internet and phone at first, but I found myself dragging my feet to turn the phone back on when I returned to the states. It was so nice to just hear the rainforest lull me to sleep, and be woken by monkeys and toucans in the morning instead of my iPhone. :) The food was incredible, and as someone with a dietary restriction, they worked so well and personally with me to make sure I was nourished. I feel like I will never be the same after my time at El Remanso - in a very, very good way! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Erin L
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My wife, two children ages 16 and 14, and I stayed at El Remanso for four nights in late June, at the start of the green season. The reviews we had read on Tripadvisor, combined with the videos we had reviewed at www.remanso.com had set our expectations pretty high. I am pleased to be able to report that these high expectations were met or exceeded in every possible way. At no other location on our wonderful trip to Costa Rica did we feel as close to and as connected with the rainforest as we did at El Remanso . The staff were all warm and friendly, the accommodations were spacious, comfortable and beautiful, and the food was outstanding -- all the more so when you consider the remoteness of the location. The kitchen staff did an outstanding job working around my wife's many food allergies. The guides for the trips we selected were excellent --a particular shout out for Geraldo, who has a sixth sense for spotting wildlife that left us in complete awe. We loved the hiking, the wild remote beach and the waterfall rappeling.

We did experience some torrential rainstorms, usually for an hour or two in the afternoon, but on one occasion it went on all evening and night. We used the time to read, relax and play cards, but I could see how others might be frustrated by this"lost time". Think carefully about this before you book in the green season. We would go at the same time of year again, but can certainly see why others might prefer not to take the risk.

Also a warning for those who are not comfortable being really close to nature. If bats, bugs or the possibility of finding snakes at your feet on a hike raise any concerns, then this is most definitely not the location for you. For everyone else, we cannot recommend El Remanso highly enough. We shall surely be going back!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The first night my family and I were completely not used to this kind of eco-lodge and were considering leaving. So glad we didn't because after getting adjusted to it after the first night, it was the most incredible vacation ever. Tons of things to do, friendly staff and a very unique and eye-opening experience. Best way to experience Costa Rica and the wildlife.

Room Tip: The largest unit is not as comfortable and great as other units.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Claudia N
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This was our first visit to the Osa and El Remanso. Our stay at this Eco lodge and this region inspired my first reviews on TripAdvisor. I simply couldn't let folks miss this spot.

If you are going to Costa Rica for the wildlife, skip the overcrowded Manuel Antonio and head right here. As a bird watcher, I spotted about 50 new species on my life list during just our three night stay. The guides were very educated and several nights we enjoyed guest speakers share their expertise regarding the local biodiversity and conservation efforts.

Getting to El Remanso is a commitment but well worthwhile and even the drive is an adventure. Arrive during the day and rent a four wheel drive because some of the bridges are very narrow and you cross some running streams on the road.

With each day, hike, paddle or tour, You will fall more and more in love with the intensity of the wildlife, biodiversity and rainforest. I have had the privilege of exploring many remote regions and the Osa rivals the best.

The lodge staff were extremely attentive and the main lodge is a wonderful gathering place to meet others and spot wildlife. Everyday spotted new wildlife, including caiman, snakes, toads, frogs, scorpions, spiders and three types of monkey's. If you can, bring very good binoculars, spotting scopes and cameras to take full advantage of the local splendor and wildlife. I highly recommend the bird watching tours, night hikes, kayak tour in the mangrove and the beach hikes. Beware, the surf in this area is very dangerous, even for experienced swimmers. Plan to use the lodge pool or swim in the jungle lagoon instead. In the end, I did not miss swimming in the pacific because the ruggedness of the beach adds to the incredible beauty and overall mystique of this amazing place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Hugie1959
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed 6 nights total - 3 nights in La Vainilla and 3 in classic cabins. Every expectation we had was met or exceeded. The staff was knowledgeable and very friendly. Especially Gabby who handled our reservations by email and Rienaldo and Melvin were phenomenal. We saw so much wildlife - 4 types of monkeys, coati, snakes, countless colorful birds.

We signed up for an "active package" which included short hike, long hike, night hike, waterfall rappelling, zipline to canopy platform, and either horseback riding or bird watching.

This place well deserves the 5 stars it gets here on TripAdvisor. One of the best vacations ever.

Room Tip: The La Vainilla and La Guinda cabins are away from the others and have great ocean views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family