“Superb stay in a natural environment”
Review of El Remanso Lodge

El Remanso Lodge
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We had 4 nights at El Remanso at the end of a 3 week holiday in Costa Rica and it was a wonderful end to our stay. We were also a family of 4 with 2 teenagers and this suited us brilliantly as it was both relaxing as well as having plenty to do when we wanted.

It was a fabulous flight from San Jose to the Osa Peninsula on a 19 seater plane with perfect views, followed by an extremely warm welcome at the Lodge. We would endorse all the excellent reviews already written; the rooms are very simply and naturally furnished, but very comfortable (almost no mosquitoes), beautiful situation with a view down to the Pacific, an amazing beach with very interesting rock pools you can wallow in as well as investigate for marine life (no swimming here, though as there is a riptide) a small but very welcome swimming pool to cool off in, outstanding guides who really know their stuff and were so enthusiastic (nothing was ever too much trouble - all the staff were unerringly welcoming), good food and fascinating bird and wildlife. We were also impressed by the ethos of sustainability which included their thoughtful involvement in the local community. We loved it and cannot recommend it highly enough!

Room Tip: We had the Garden View Cabins by the pool which we initially thought might be a bit noisy as we were...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank griggs1

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We -a family of 4 with two teenagers- had pretty high expectations of this lodge before our visit. And to be honest: they really exceeded our expectations in many ways.

All the comments that you read on Tripadvisor are absolutely true: beautiful natural rooms (stayed in the classic cabins), fantastic brandnew swimming pool, very very good food, nice tours, professional staff, perfect beach, tucans in abundance, ...

But what we appreciated and enjoyed the most, is the overall positive atmosphere in the lodge: all staff members (and the owners) are kind, attentive and they are really interested in their guests and in the wildlife that they observe during their stay. There is a very positive and personal vibe all around which is hard to describe. It makes you feel a part of a 'El Remanso' family. You feel that no one is acting, it gives you just the right feeling. This is how a small lodge should operate. It has a limited number of rooms (12 we guess), which definitely helps to create that personal and warm feeling.

We did the following activities during our four days stay:

1. Dolphin and whale tour: saw a whale with baby, lots of dolphins and the guide took us to the mangroves to see crocodiles. Really enjoyable.
2. Horse back tour: we have few experience with horses but loved the tour very much. Although there are some pretty tough passages (steep down and steep up) but the landscape (through the jungle and ending upon the beach) is wonderful. The guide was very dedicated.
3. Long ridge trail: interesting tour to see the biodiversity of the region, very good guides.
4. Night hike: absolutely recommended: saw very close a huge boa constrictor, fer de lance snakes, tarantula, ...
5. Waterfall rappelling: although a pleasant and refreshing activity, this was probably a bit too less challenging for the four of us, only the last two waterfalls gave us real thrills. The guide told us that they were thinking of giving the chance to do the last waterfall twice, and this would be a good idea for the future in our opinion.

It is true that there are few bugs in this area. It can happen that there are a couple of ants in the room, but overall, this is the rainforest.

This is a place which is hard to leave. Although not cheap, it is worth every penny !
We cannot recommend this place enough. Hope to come back one day.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JoKa1
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Leaving El Remanso was the hardest part of our trip. It was our first time in CR and we went as a couple, no kids, and wanted to get away from the cities and be close to the forest. This was exactly that! But it wasn't cheap. By far the most expensive leg of the trip at about $200/night pp (that price included: 3 excellent meals each day, a few drinks, 2 tours, & 15% tip).

This Eco-resort received "Five Leafs" from the Certification for Sustainable Tourism. According to our guide Gerardo who has worked there since inception, they were the only Eco-resort to get "Five Leafs" on their opening inspection. So if sustainability and having a "green" adventure are important to you, than this is a great way to spend your time in the Osa.

In addition to the great food (choice of daily meat or seafood dish), ambiance, & room accommodations was the beautiful and wild beach below the resort. Big waves, no swimming, but the 100ft waterfall, lagoon, and tide pools are all free adventures that are easily accessible within a 20 min hike from the resort. We spent 2 days on the beach and did not see anyone else. Pristine!

Room Tip: Get a room up above the restaurant, not below. The rooms lower down on the trails (facing the ocean...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Best Service, Beautiful Clean Rooms, Amazing Food, Wonderful Wildlife!

From the moment you arrive you are Taken. Care. Of.

Best service I have ever experienced in Costa Rica. (I've traveled around CR a LOT the past two years)

The food was reallllly great, aside from the French Toast. The Tuna was the best I've ever had.

The trails are no joke, especially the long one. The beach is deserted and beautiful. (I only wish you could swim in it).

It was an amazing place for a four night stay.

NOTE TO DRIVERS: the road here is easy compared to most Costa Rican roads, you can totally drive here and check out the other hotels (that's how we found this place). As long as you have 4 wheel drive it's easy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2013

As my first trip to Costa Rica, El Remanso was better than any vacation experience I could have hoped for. I left here feeling completely relaxed, which was exactly what I needed after three grueling years of graduate work, and a really rough past year had left me exhausted on all levels. A week at El Remanso washed all of that away! From the amazing staff throughout the lodge, to the incredible food, to the breathtaking views and animal spotting, my experience here was nothing short of extraordinary. They truly take care of their guests in a way I didn't think existed in the hospitality business anymore. As someone who traveled here alone, I felt right at home with the staff, almost as if family was taking me in for the week. My very American brain had trouble with no internet and phone at first, but I found myself dragging my feet to turn the phone back on when I returned to the states. It was so nice to just hear the rainforest lull me to sleep, and be woken by monkeys and toucans in the morning instead of my iPhone. :) The food was incredible, and as someone with a dietary restriction, they worked so well and personally with me to make sure I was nourished. I feel like I will never be the same after my time at El Remanso - in a very, very good way! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Erin L
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My wife, two children ages 16 and 14, and I stayed at El Remanso for four nights in late June, at the start of the green season. The reviews we had read on Tripadvisor, combined with the videos we had reviewed at www.remanso.com had set our expectations pretty high. I am pleased to be able to report that these high expectations were met or exceeded in every possible way. At no other location on our wonderful trip to Costa Rica did we feel as close to and as connected with the rainforest as we did at El Remanso . The staff were all warm and friendly, the accommodations were spacious, comfortable and beautiful, and the food was outstanding -- all the more so when you consider the remoteness of the location. The kitchen staff did an outstanding job working around my wife's many food allergies. The guides for the trips we selected were excellent --a particular shout out for Geraldo, who has a sixth sense for spotting wildlife that left us in complete awe. We loved the hiking, the wild remote beach and the waterfall rappeling.

We did experience some torrential rainstorms, usually for an hour or two in the afternoon, but on one occasion it went on all evening and night. We used the time to read, relax and play cards, but I could see how others might be frustrated by this"lost time". Think carefully about this before you book in the green season. We would go at the same time of year again, but can certainly see why others might prefer not to take the risk.

Also a warning for those who are not comfortable being really close to nature. If bats, bugs or the possibility of finding snakes at your feet on a hike raise any concerns, then this is most definitely not the location for you. For everyone else, we cannot recommend El Remanso highly enough. We shall surely be going back!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The first night my family and I were completely not used to this kind of eco-lodge and were considering leaving. So glad we didn't because after getting adjusted to it after the first night, it was the most incredible vacation ever. Tons of things to do, friendly staff and a very unique and eye-opening experience. Best way to experience Costa Rica and the wildlife.

Room Tip: The largest unit is not as comfortable and great as other units.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family