“Stunning, Amazing, Unequaled”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Round Rock, Texas
“Stunning, Amazing, Unequaled”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

El Remanso is by far the best vacation my wife and I have ever taken. To start, the setting is breathtaking. This genuine eco lodge is sited within primary and secondary rainforest overlooking the pacific ocean. If we had chosen to never leave our cabin, we still would've seen Capuchin Monkeys, Toucans, Scarlet Macaws, Coatimundis, Hummingbirds, Butterflies, and Trogans up close from our deck. The property's trails, beach, lagoon, waterfalls, tide pools, and viewing platforms are amazing. You couldn't ask for a more picturesque setting. Soak it in and bring an extra large memory card!
The activities, such as guided hikes, waterfall rappelling, canopy observation, horseback riding (off-site), bird watching, all exceeded expectations. I recommend all of the onsite activities and the horseback, or as many as you can do with the time you have. You will be glad you did.
The staff, and hosts Danny & Adrianna, are just wonderful folks. Its really like your staying with friends. I truly believe it is not possible to run/manage a place better than El Remanso. They truly care about sustainability, limiting their impact on the forest, and attending to every need and desire of their guests without being overwhelming or going through the motions. All of the staff are exceptional and just a joy to be around. The hikes with Gerardo are better than anyones we've been on anywhere. It's obvious he loves his job and does it better than anyone could ever ask. His knowledge, passion, and friendliness are unmatched. The restaurant staff are also great, and my wife and I enjoyed interacting with them on a daily basis. Sergio is a great bar tender!
The food was amazing. Not only was it fresh and homemade, but many of the dishes were very unique. It was always a treat to head to the restaurant after an exciting morning or afternoon of hiking for a fantastic meal.
The property and rooms are well-maintained. We stayed in a classic cabin and it was very comfortable. Don't worry about not having AC. You don't need it. We got excellent sleep with the sounds of the rainforest, tranquility of the rain, and the breezes from the Pacific Ocean and a fan.
We love Costa Rica and plan to travel to different areas/regions of the country in the coming years. However, and now that we've had such a wonderful time here, we will always leave at least a few days to head down to the Osa and stay at El Remanso. It is really that special.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Straightup123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Dorking, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We spent three weeks in Costa Rica staying at some of the top lodges/hotels. El Remanso was by far our favorite. Everything is pitched just right, beautiful location, attentive but not overly fussy service, great activities and comfortable accommodation. I can honestly not think of one thing I would change.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jem C
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Go here if u want a non tourist Atmosphere . The staff all speak English so I had no need for my translation book . The food was the freshest food I've ever had . I went solo and never felt alone . I did the adventure package . And the staff was always very helpful and kind. They even surprised me on my bday with flowers on my bed and room and bday cake at dinner while the staff and other guest were singing happy bday to me. Im planning a return trip back next year.... All smiles here ;)..I stayed in the cabin and suite ! Clean and very cozy !

Room Tip: Suite overlooking the pool...2nd floor was amazing ....lots of room...very private .
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank EatPrayTravel2426
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Wildlife, beautiful views and a sense of escape.

This is an Eco-resort, but with the comforts I'm used to outside of the jungle. The rooms are cabins, with running water and electricity. The water comes from the mountain. It's clean to drink and tested twice a year. The water also provides electricity to the rooms via two hydroelectric engines.

The point is, you don't feel like you're making too large of an impact on the delicate ecosystem. And that's the star here. El Remanso has several trained ecologists who can take you on daily hikes. On two of them we saw monkeys (several species), a sloth, an armadillo, a white hawk, poison dart frogs, a pit viper, a coati, a tiger heron, and many other birds and butterflies.

The cabins are spread around the resort. Each has a view. Ours had a back porch, where we saw monkeys, toucans, and iguanas. Some of the rooms are a bit open to nature. It can be intimidating at first for some of us city folk, but you do get used to it.

There are three meals a day. They're all good, if not great. The ingredients are local, including the seafood, which is delicious. There's also a bar to provide drinks by the solar-powered pool or for a nitecap.

Things you will need: A flashlight, a water bottle, bug spray and itch cream. The mosquitos aren't too bad here, but can still be pests. The biggest pest problem, though, were all of the flies in the dining room at breakfast. Very annoying.

I loved this place. At the end of each day, I was exhausted from my adventures and discovery, many of which you don't need to leave the island for. The great thing is, despite the exhaustion, it was relaxing and completely took my mind off work.

I plan to visit again in the years to come.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brendan K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Our stay at El Remanso was fantastic! Amazing scenery and wildlife made this the highlight of our trip. If you are debating whether to travel that little bit further to go to the Osa Peninsular on your Cosa Rica trip - do it!

The best part of our stay was our guided wildlife walks with Gerardo- his knowledge and enthusiasm was amazing. Well worth the money to get the most out of the surroundings. Waterfall rapelling was also good fun. Not too scary for a beginner like me and still good fun for my more daring husband!

The accommodation is simple, in keeping with the environment, but beautiful, clean and well looked after. The food was also excellent - a relatively small selection of dishes but whet they do they do very well.

I can't recommend it highly enough!

Room Tip: La Guinda has an amazing view over the rainforest down to the ocean. You can't see any of the ot...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenhickin
Rochester, MI
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I cannot say enough about this location, the accommodations and most importantly the staff. When I say "the staff", I am including everyone from the drivers, to the manager; from the cleaning staff to the service in the restaurant; from the ecologist to the rappel guides...top notch, every single one of them!
Our family of 5 had the trip of a lifetime! Enjoyed the adventure package immensely with 3 of our children (15, 13 & 10). You must be in relatively good health to enjoy this location if you plan activities as the beach is a 25 min. hike from the lodge, something we did daily in between our excursions...well worth the effort, especially the tidal pools at low tide.
Our excursions included waterfall rappelling, canopy breakfast and tree rappelling, guided night hike, guided long day hikes, planting indigenous tress in the the forest, day trip to Gulfo Dulce to whale watch (humpback and her calf) & dolphin watch (bottlenose and spotted) with reef snorkeling...
The ecologists were top notch! Can't say enough about them, my kids received an incredible education, immersion learning at its best.
No review could be complete without mention of the incredible meals! Selection of fresh foods prepared on site, I can't even begin...origami linen napkins folded differently became the intrigue of the children as we dined every evening. I have children who are picky eaters and they ate everything, tried everything and enjoyed everything, including the spinach soup. Kudos to Silvia for an impromptu cooking lesson for my daughter.
Did I mention the staff addresses everyone in your party by first name from the moment you step out of the vehicle until the moment of departure? I can tell you it was very difficult to leave, even the howler monkeys who awaken you at dawn will be missed.
Top notch!
Exceeded all expectations.
Please note that there are strong riptides at the beach so no swimming but the pool is fantastic. The beach can be enjoyed for hikes and especially at low tide when the tide pools can be explored, they are ecosystem of their own. My son took pleasure in finding coconuts on the beach and breaking them open for us to share while sitting in the pools.
Educational talks at night are optional also on sustainability and turtle conservation...
Living off the grid, doesn't get much better!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lonetwigstudio
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2013

El Remanso Lodge was a fantastic version of paradise. We were there by the end of November 2012 and had the time of our lives.

The location is outstanding. Literally in the middle of the forest with gorgeous views of the Pacific Ocean. Nothing to do with the commercial touristic resorts that one finds around the globe. It's unique. From bird watching to the cutest visit of spider monkeys, all right from your cabin. La Vainilla, in our case. For the adventurous this cabin is just a very exciting choice. The room is breathtaking. The shower, with views of the sunset makes it for one of those lifetime highlights. It doesn't have windows which makes you feel even more in the middle of the wilds. We were concerned about insects but didn't have a single bite. Not one!

The weather was great throughout the stay... with some soft rain in the late afternoons. It actually felt refreshing... so nothing to worry about.

We were in active mode and wanted to make the most out of the trip. We did the Zip-Line with the breakfast in a tree from which you climb down (right now it's a short ride but they will probably expand it at some point. Still a delightful way of starting the day), the Waterfall Rappelling (it was so much fun... muscle intense too), the Kayaking through the mangroves (totally worth it, even though it's hard on the arms and back), the dolphins watching (unfortunately by that time the whales weren't approaching the surface as much, but still a beautiful tour... the Golfo Dulce is astonishing. We saw bottle-nosed and spotted dolphins. With more luck you'll see whales!!!), the morning bird watching tour was another jewel (the guide is really savvy and makes it remarkable) and the night hike (that helps you get comfortable with all those unknown night forest sounds).
It was all part of the honeymoon package, that we strongly recommend if you are interested in many of the activities available. It also included a couples massage that was the ideal ending to the Península Osa experience. The masseuse was such a pro.. Definitely in good hands.
We weren't able to do the horseback riding. If you are interested in this excursion, book it from day 1. Walkies are involved in the arrangements and communication can be tricky up there.

Oh, no phone signal available in the Remanso area. Only internet at the front desk. It makes it for an extraordinary reset. Otherwise, it never happens fully.

On our own we hiked through the beach, specially when the tide is low, the natural pools by the rocks allow for a really pleasant moment.
And the hike down the river spotting snakes is another 5-star itinerary. Check the waterfalls right at the upper side. Won't be disappointed.

Don't want to forget to mention how delicious the food was. Every single day, extremely consistent.

A memorable experience requires the human factor and at El Remanso they excel on that front. Every single person that works there has a common denominator, they are lovely, helpful and willing to make the stay personalized and a big success. We'll never forget the 4 days we spent there. It's not necessarily cheap but it's worth every single dollar. We could go back once a year and still have a phenomenal time (and our philosophy is to keep wondering around seeking for new places in each continent, so it's this worth it).

We'll hopefully see you soon, Remanso family! Can't wait!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple