“A Place Like no Other”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Anchorage, Alaska
“A Place Like no Other”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I went to El Remanso for my best friends wedding in September 2013. The place is absolutely beautiful and the kind staff goes out of their way for their guests. Upon arrival I was greeted by the owners Adri and Dani who served a drink and explained the layout, amenities, and activities. The cabins and grounds are very clean and I enjoyed falling asleep at night to the sounds of the rain forest and the waves crashing on the beach below. The meals each day were delicious and well planned with a variety of options.

I enjoyed exploring the rainforest with friends for a week leading up to the wedding. One of the most memorable hikes was up a river to reach a magnificent waterfall in the Rain Forest, and then down to the beach where the river spills into the Pacific Ocean. We observed many kinds of wildlife and only to name a few; spider monkeys, howler monkeys, white-faced monkeys, squirrel monkeys, scarlet macaws, toucans, and many types of frogs. We were able to take pictures of red-eyed tree frogs that look like they belong in National Geographic.

Adri and Dani also helped organize a fishing trip out of Puerto Jimenez where we observed whales breaching, dolphins swimming in front of the boat, and I was able to catch a 60 lb yellow fin tuna. We brought tuna and dorado back to the wedding and the chefs prepared sashimi as an appetizer and seared filets for lunch the next day.

After 15 years of travel across the globe this is the first review I have written. The experience was most memorable and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scott S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I spent a few days at El Remanso last December and I honestly cannot wait to go back there, the Lodge is definitively worth the drive from San Jose'! I have been now living in Costa Rica for just over two years, I travel the country constantly and have to say that this has been the best place I have had the pleasure of visiting, finding everything as close to perfection as possible, from the warm welcome I was given by Silvia to the marvellous accomodations to the excellent food and service, to the very professionally organized tours on and off the property, Every member of the staff turned out to be corteous and capable and what impressed me the most was the true attention and care shown to the surrounding forest, the flora, the fauna and the gorgeous pristine beach, Things are run keeping in mind that to be an eco-lodge worthy of its name, respect to nature and its inhabitants is a must and that turned out to be the El Remanso's philosophy.
I cannot speak highly enough of El Remanso and of the people that work in it, all I can say is that it turned out to be a veritable slice of heaven: I enjoyed every single minute I spent there and left feeling happy for having discovered a place where people really work hard at preserving the wilderness so that the rest of us can enjoy it.
What else to add? Thank you to you all at the Lodge, hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: I stayed both at Casa Osa - great large patio, and at a Deluxe Cabin overlooking the pool, the fore...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

The service was perfect. We we're treated like royalty! The staff went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying our stay. The guides were experts in their fields and so courteous. The room was clean comfy and beautifully furnished. Most of all we were so impressed with their dedication to being 100% Eco friendly on every level. El Remanso is doing it right!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sue L
Reviewed 28 December 2013

It took us more than 25 years of travel in Asia, The Americas and Europe to write our first review, and wanted it to be about a special place. We believe we have found that special and amazing place in El Remanso.
The Osa peninsula is gorgeous and away from the crowds, with great wildlife viewing, nature and outdoor activities to keep an active family like ours busy and engaged. El Remanso is perfectly located on the outskirts of the Corcovado National Park in a wonderful spot with beach nearby (15 min hike) and wonderful views in the middle of a dense rainforest. It offers similar activities and guided hikes as some of the other lodges nearby.
But above all, it is the staff and owners at El Remanso that made our 13 and 11 year old daughters sad to leave. The guides Girardo and Rinaldo are amazingly passionate and knowledgable and the owners Adriana and Daniel have done an incredible job in creating a personal experience while setting a benchmark 100% sustainable boutique tourism (El Remanso creates 100% of its own energy, consumes only energy and resources similar to a US family of 4, and recycles all of its waste). Our daughters learned an amazing amount about nature and how to sustain it, while also getting a good insight into the lives of some amazing Costa Rican people.
In a way, we are hesitant for this great place to be known to the mass public. But Daniel and Adriana are committed to keep El Remanso at its current size which we hope is a guarantee for this amazing experience to be sustained for a long long time.
Anna, Matthijs, Sanne and Rosie.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anna V
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

my wife Isabelle and I, were at El Remanso for only 2 days (sic sic !) just before our yoga retreat at another Inn in the Puerto Jimenez area. We absolutely loved our experience at the lodge. First the reception/service (Dany,Adreanna and their family staff ) were the best, second the food was excellent, thirdly we slept like angels, fourth we explored the beautiful grounds with Girardo. All in all and in total respect and love of nature, a beautiful living experience. We would recommend it to everybody. thank you Andreanna and Andy - we can't wait to see you again.

Isa and Jean xx

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at El Remanso during the last week in November and it was one of the most incredible weeks ever.

First off, the service here is above and beyond the best, from the very beginning to the end of your experience. It starts off by communicating with the bubbly and super helpful Gabby, who endured my zillions of questions and helped us book our flight and transfers. Then you have the managers, Silvia and Eli, who greet you and give you an orientation when you arrive. Silvia has a masters and is doing postgrad work on tree genetics, and not only is knowledgeable about wildlife but is also no-nonsense and really helpful with any of your questions. (We had wanted to go to Corcovado National Park, but at $300, she recommended we'd see much of the same stuff just exploring the property). Eli is very sweet and friendly and was also helpful in helping us with any requests or questions. The guides are unbelievable: they know so much about the local flora and fauna. Gerardo, who also has a masters, is running investigations about several species of trees along with doing his incredibly enlightening tours. Then the restaurant/bar staff, grounds staff, and drivers are all absolutely fantastic, be it stopping three times during the night drive up to the hotel to show us incredible creatures, or happening upon a baby boa constrictor or an escaped parrot and sharing them with us, or just making conversation, they were all great. We also met the two owners the last day, who are great people, too.

We stayed in one of the classic cabins for 5 nights and in one of the deluxe cabins for 2 nights. It is worth spending the extra to stay in a cabin because they are incredible, with unbelievable views of the jungle and ocean. Even though La Guinda cabin was bigger with a huge tub and more privacy, I still loved El Lucero, which had comfy lounge chairs and a nice deck. The rooms are clean with beautiful woods and a hammock and big bed with a mosquito net.

We did a number of activities, but none of the excursions, though I heard good things about them. First, we did a guided tour with Gerardo, where we learned so much about the local flora and fauna; he is so knowledgeable. We even got to feel a bat's heartbeat as it slept in a curled palm leaf! The most exciting activity was waterfall rappelling, which was challenging but so much fun and absolutely worth it. I also did the zipline, which was a bit disappointing but getting to watch wildlife from the platform was really cool.

Most of the time, though, we explored the trails and beach on our own. There's an amazing lagoon where you can cool off or observe wildlife, and tidepools where you can do the same. You can walk for miles on the north side of the beach; we walked to the first point a few miles up where there's a marshland and a turtle egg sanctuary. The trails are amazing and you'll always see cool wildlife.

Here's a collection of the wildlife we saw during our time at El Remanso: toucans, scarlet macaws, fer-de-lance snakes (eek!), tons of local birds (including little ones, like hummingbirds, and big ones like hawks), frogs, and toads, agoutis, coatis, a tayra (we think), a king vulture, capuchin monkeys, howler monkeys, and spider monkeys, butterflies, a curassow (big black turkey-like bird), jesus lizards, dart frogs, worm salamanders, bats, and iguanas. Two of the coolest things we saw were an olive ridley turtle trying to bury eggs on the beach, which is apparently really rare, as well as a red-footed booby (like the blue ones, but with red feet). We also saw an amazing snake, an anteater, and a sloth on the way to and from the hotel.

The food is ok; the best thing you can get is the fish and fruit. A lot of the food is local, too. It's also good to stick to some of the tico food, like rice and beans. Also, never be afraid to ask for more! Be warned that drinks like soda, lemonade, and alcohol are not included, and there's a 10% gratuity tax on bar expenses.

The humidity can make it really hot, but buildings are designed to catch natural breezes, and I never felt hot at night. During the day, they give you plenty of water, and the beautiful pool (powered by solar power) is a blessing when you come back from a hike.

Getting here is hard, but that's because it's worth it! We took a transfer from San Jose, and though it was more expensive than the flight, it let us see whole parts of the country along the way (and not have to wait until the next day for a flight). The flight back on a small plane was a bit scary but had incredible views.

One of the most incredible things about this place--beyond everything I already mentioned!--is that it is completely sustainable. The electricity, water, sewage, trash--everything is produced or processed on site or recycled. There's some info on their website, but ask about Silvia's presentation, which she gave one night and shows in detail how everything works.

That said, this place is not for:
-people who are squeamish about bugs or lizards. This is the forest: there are many of them and sometimes you may have to escort one out of your room.

-people with small children. There were some people with small children staying there, but I think it's inappropriate (and definitely disturbs the other families and couples staying there). If you bring kids, they should be 9 or 10 and up. This place is 40 minutes from the closest city, and therefore doctor, and has really steep trails and snakes. The kind of people who bring small children here are either adventurers or, I suspect, just don't really know what they're getting into.

-those on a budget. It can be expensive to get here (about $500 roundtrip from San Jose, unless you're coming from somewhere closer or renting your own car). The garden rooms are cheapest but unless you are traveling around and just stay here for one or two nights, it can get a little pricey. One or two nights is ok, but you should spend as much time as you can here to take full advantage!

This was a once-in-a-lifetime trip, and well worth every penny.

Room Tip: Book a cabin!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beach_Seeking
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 November 2013

It was truly life-changing to experience El Remanso Lodge! My husband and I explored the tropical jungle, lagoon, and sandy beach watching incredible birds, frogs, monkeys and so many other amazing creatures. We even went on a guided night hike to get a sense of the nocturnal wonders living out in the darkest forest I've ever been in since the city lights are miles away. We hiked, swam, did yoga, got a massage in a candle lit hut surrounded by rainfall, walked in the river, and dipped in one of the most gorgeous pools you can imagine with delicious cocktails for the asking. Every day we could just show up at the open air restaurant to dine on local delicacies or refresh with some watermelon juice as there's no need to carry wallets, telephones or keys. The hosts are attentive and sweet and I learned so much from the nature guides. Often I find myself remembering an animal I saw or a smell, or a taste. My perspective has been widened and deepened after traveling to El Remanso.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple