“Beautiful Rainforest Eco Lodge”
Review of El Remanso Lodge

El Remanso Lodge
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband & I stayed at El Remanso for four days. If you love nature, wildlife, birds & a beautiful setting, there can be no better place than this. The lodge & the cottages are nestled right in the Rainforest without disturbing the beautiful & wild location. All cottages over-look the Pacific ocean. You will have Toucans, monkeys, reptiles & wildlife at your door. They have numerous trails to hike and numerous activities for everyone. The staff is outstanding and the guided tours are unforgettable. In spite of being a remote lodge, the meals were excellent with fresh fruit, vegetables. The owners are dedicated to preserving the Rainforest & its wildlife. It was an amazing experience.

Room Tip: There are not many cottages. It is a small resort, but all cottages are beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I don't have anything other than unreserved praise for this lodge and all the people who look after their guests with such care and attention. We stayed in four hotels in Costa Rica recently, two of which were satisfactory and the third was superb. The fourth, El Remanso, is beyond superb so it is 5 stars plus! We have travelled quite a bit around the world and I have to say that the Osa Peninsula is somewhere very very special, a place I'll remember for as long as I live. The lodge is sited about 40 minutes from the airstrip at Puerto Jimenez in a rather remote and unspoilt area, with great access to the rainforest and the amazing animals that live there. In addition the lodge has access to the beach on the Pacific coast with its wonderful rocks pools and no-one else in sight! The entire experience over four nights was incredible and with hindsight we wish we had cut Arenal from our itinerary and stayed here for a full week. We just loved it all. Very many thanks to everyone at El Remanso for making it such a wonderful visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in El Lucero which is one of the cabins slightly down the slope from the main lodge. It ha...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Grant W
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at El Remanso and had an unforgettable time. Each day was filled with something new and exciting. The hikes and the zip line/tree rappelling with Reynaldo were awesome. He's so full of knowledge and we felt like we were hiking with our friend. The restaurant and the cabins are situated right in the middle of the forest and perfect for wildlife viewing. I do have to mention that we got there right when the bugs started to arrive so bring plenty of good bug repellant and long socks. I hear the bugs normally aren't bad, but I guess at the start of the rainy season they are. We did get eaten up a bit, but it definitely didn't take away from my amazing experience.

We saw howler monkeys, spider monkeys, and white faced monkeys feeding on trees right along side the restaurant and also right next to our cabin, on several different occasions! We also saw the squirrel monkeys on the drive in. The Toucans and Macaws are always around and so many other beautiful birds and reptiles. If you aren't woken up by the howler monkeys at 530 AM, the squawking Macaws will likely get you up! I even found the bats charming and I could hear them every day behind our cabin. If you want privacy and the best wildlife viewing and an ocean view, opt for La Guinda! The other cabins sound wonderful, also. Our cabin was surrounded by screens to let the breeze in and I would find myself just lying in bed listening to the ocean and the all the different wild sounds around us. You see so much while there, but you hear even more!

The totally secluded beach is breathtaking. There is a short hike from the beach to an awesome waterfall, which was another highlight and is not to be missed. The food was wonderful every single day and the drinks were fabulous, also. I could go on and on about so many other fantastic memories here. I've been to many other amazing places in Costa Rica and I think this experience is most memorable so far. The entire staff and the owners, Adriana and Daniel, could not have made us feel more welcome. You feel like family when here. They even went above and beyond to get a surfboard rental for my husband who had fun surfing one day with two of the friendly bartenders. There are beaches to surf at about 20 min or so away.

I can't say enough and hope to return in the near future. If you want to get off the grid and feel one with nature and either relax or have some adventure, you must stay at El Remanso!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dionne C
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was just there two weeks ago and miss this amazing place. If you want a real rainforest experience this is it! The staff are amazing! The guide Haraldo (sorry for incorrect spelling) was amazing, knowledgeable, and passionate, he also was not bad on the eyes ;). The food, I can literally say the food was the best food I had my whole trip in Costa Rica. Costa Rica has amazing food, everything is so fresh but here it was on a whole other level. Thank you to the chef!! They also made accommodations with the food so easily. Prior to the trip I noted I was lactose intolerant and they made dishes for my diet. Towards the in I decided to be selective with my lactose intact and they were so accommodating. I had to make the shift in diet just so I could try all of the yummy creations. We also had a baby traveling with our group and everyday they accommodated the mother's request for the child. I have nothing bad that I could say about this place. The only thing I can say is be prepared for bugs. I was bitten so much there it seemed like I was a delicacy. If you are afraid of bugs suck it up, this place is totally worth it. In the end this bug hating girl found value in their existence. The guides were great at reminding me that everything here works together. Not only will you see bugs but there will be beautiful birds, monkeys, and reptiles all around for you to enjoy. Also, be prepared to be off the grid. No internet or phone service, but you will appreciate it, it really gives you the opportunity to be in the moment and enjoy. I could go on and on about this place but I will stop here and just tell you if you are thinking about coming here do so. You wont regret it!!

Room Tip: There is no AC if you are a person that over heats I would recommend a small fan (one of those that...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Britney N
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This lodge is everything and more, friendly staff , great food,excellent tours,which I Recommend you take as it includes the flight over to OSA, and ECO friendly ,and it's safe to drink the water . It very remote which make it a great get away ,it sits above the canopy it has a pool how they got this in is beyond me! It is very hot so bring a fan and take the resort advice on packing. I am a four seasons kind of girl so I surprised myself at how well I adapted to this adventure

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank MariellenH
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have been trying to think of something constructive to add to the reviews that have been posted previously and, even with a month's contemplation, I can only offer that all that has been said is accurate. This place, and it's people, make for an unforgettable experience.
We spent 6 days there in March, mom, dad and an 18 year old son. Son was hesitant due to lack of connectivity and laid back type of spot. It took a day or so for him to just chill and enjoy the novelty of the space. He, and we, started to pay much more attention to the natural world around us and we re-charged batteries and family connections that we hadn't realized needed attention.
For the guest who is looking for a beach vacation or a happening night life (other than nocturnal critters) or have an intense fear of bugs or reptiles, this may not be the spot for you BUT don't rule it out. You may be won over by the extreme beauty and peacefulness of the environment, the exceptional attention and service of the staff and the feeling that they are so glad you came to their corner of the world! When we left, we felt like we were saying good bye to family and we think often of Adri, Rinaldo, Sergio, Gero, Marlon and so many others!

Room Tip: We loved our classic cabin!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mountforest
Reviewed 22 May 2014

From the moment we arrived, my friend and I felt we'd died and gone to heaven. The staff all seemed to know who we were and greeted us warmly. Every person introduced him/her self and we were given a personal introduction about everything that would happen . We were served fresh lemonade. From then on, the service was nothing less than perfect! The guides are astounding. They find animals and insects amidst thousands of trees and plants. We had wonderful early morning and evening walks and took lots of great photos. The food is fresh and excellent and beautifully presented. We "dressed up" a bit at night. The open air dining room is a pleasure and guests gather before dinner for cocktails and to exchange "who saw what." I was celebrating my birthday, and they made me a special cake! Our room--the balcony in the lodge--was beautiful and had a wonderful view. This is an "early to bed, early to rise" place...asleep at 8:30 or 9:00 and up at 5:30am. Some people got up in the middle of the night to look for animals. Each siting is a profound experience. It's hot and sweaty--but it IS a rainforest! Don't forget hiking boots (sneakers not advised). We had the week explorer tour and it was wonderful to stay put for five days without phones or internet and commune with nature. The masseuse is wonderful! Nothing like a massage as the sun is setting and you listen to the sounds of the forest change until you are surrounded by darkness. The staff is wonderful and checks in all day to make sure you are comfortable and taken care of. What a gem of a place!

Room Tip: If you have a family and want privacy, the cottages are probably the best. We had an upstairs luxur...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends