All reviews tide pools la guinda zip line howler monkeys bird watching costa rica long hike night hike the pacific ocean classic cabin san jose fer de lance honeymoon package hiking trails rip tides guided hike knowledgeable guides
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife, daughter and myself stayed a week at El Remanso with the active package. The location is fantastic, the lodge is perfectly integrated into the environment but the best of all were the people working there and the management. Great attention to detail, always available with a smile and the guides were very well prepared and ready to answer all questions. Food is simple but great quality.
One of our best vacations!

Francesco

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Spent three nights here while hiking/moving through the Costa Rican Rainforest. What a treat. Large property (not in terms of number of rooms) with lots of areas to hike and explore, largely untouched by humans - and full of animals. Monkeys, Parrots, Birds, etc. If you want wildlife in Costa Rica, this is the place for it.

Food, was fantastic. Several selections chosen at the meal before so they are ready quickly in the evening (which is good because your tired from all of the hiking, waterfall repelling, and tree repelling which happened during the day.)

They even pick you up at the Airport in Puerto Jiminez. Note: No cell phone service, and no internet as of the date I stayed. Which is actually a bonus.

The Service is great. The staff know everyone's names, and everything is just added to your tab as you go about. Note: They sometimes loose track, and round down in the guests favour. I pointed this out on checkout, they (the owner) said - don't worry about it.

Ecologically this place is something to see. Completely off the grid, and probably about 99% sustainable. Absolutely recommend. If you don't like bugs, and all such things which go along with the Jungle, this won't be a good experience for you.

Room tip: You need a room on the front of the buildings so you can sit on your deck and look off onto the pacific ocean.
Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Adam D
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at El Remanso for four nights and wished we could have stayed longer! The hotel grounds are beautiful and we could hear the ocean from our room at night along with all the jungle animals. Being vegetarian, we were worried that there was only the hotel to eat at but the food made for us was the best on our entire honeymoon! We definitely gained a few pounds from the amazing meals. The activities were amazing (waterfall repelling)! We spend each evening reading novels either on the deck of our room or in the hammocks in our room. I cannot wait for the opportunity to return!

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky F
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was a beautiful paradise. I place set in the middle of nowhere. I loved our tour guides (Gera was awesome!) Here's the thing though, El Remanso is not for people seeking a comfortable air conditioned experience. There is limited electricity, as the compound supplies their own. Also, it is extremely humid, but, seriously, amazing. We went for our honeymoon, and we are glad we didn't spend the entire time there (because of the humidity and exposure to the elements - it is much more of an adventure-seeker place) Also, the wildlife can be a little frightening. Pay attention to your guides! This was definitely a vacation we will remember our entire lives. Loved every second.

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeccaLubbock_Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We spent 11 days this summer in Costa Rica and our family is so pleased that 6 of them were at El Remanso Lodge. If you are seeking to experience the Rain Forest, with comfort and class - then I highly recommend this place.

It starts with the locale - on the Osa Peninsula - a private reserve set in old growth rain forest.
As you make your way on the ride down a bumpy gravel road you begin seeing wildlife and get the sense you're in for something special, a real experience with nature.

When we arrived we were guided to the Dining Room, I say room loosely as it's open air on 3 sides - looking right out into the jungle, but that's part of the magic of this place... the lodge was build into the rain forest. It's almost as if El Remanso belongs in this place. The dining room is attached to the kitchen and has a charming bar “Los Encantitos”. A few steps away from the Dining Room is the delightful pool with a deck and lounges that have a great view into the jungle with the ocean beyond. Behind the pool is Casa Poniente, a building with 6 rooms, four on the first floor and two suites on the top floor.

After a delicious lunch (see my comments about the food below) we were escorted off to our lodging. We had chosen La Vainilla - a 2-story bungalow down the trail from the center of the lodge. Our bags had already arrived at the steps to our temporary home and we entered to explore. The downstairs has two large beds, with it's own bathroom and separate shower - all screened (which our son was very pleased about). There was a nice, small deck off the downstairs with two adirondack chairs facing the valley - with green foliage giving way to the Pacific Ocean in the distance.

As we climbed up the stairs with the hewn wooden railings I felt as if I had entered either a movie or a dream. Before me was a large space, open air on three sides. There were 2 hammocks hanging in each corner of the room - a comfortable sitting area with chairs and a table between them.
In the back center of the room stands a beautiful King bed with mosquito netting creatively tied up above, with the classy touch of tropical flowers on the pillow as well as affixed to the netting in front. On the side of the room is the bathroom area - it's half walls providing privacy but still allowing you to feel in the jungle. One of my favorite features - you can shower while looking out to sea and the jungle. It sounds so simple but wow, what an experience.

We also toured several of the other rooms - the smaller single story bungalows looked wonderful as well, each with their own deck. These rooms were screened with wide screen doors that open to the jungle. I would have no hesitation recommending any of the bungalows. The rooms that are poolside are also nice, though smaller. They each have a patio with a hammock to enjoy the breeze outside. For families who would prefer being near the pool or the dining room - this may be a good choice, though we prefer to be away from the noise and activity around the lodge.

Jumping back on the trail beside our bungalow and heading downhill, a 15-minute walk brings you to the beach.... a beautiful beach! There are signs and you are cautioned not to attempt to swim in the surf here - rip tides are apparently strong and severe. But we did safely wade in the waves and spend minutes on several days watching the waves roll in and out. A treat at the beach were pairs of Scarlet Macaws that must make their home near the tree-line on the Coast. Wonderful to watch in the trees and in flight (but their squawking belies their beautiful colors).

Walking to the left about 10 minutes we traced the path of a small creek up to a waterfall that was some 35-40 feet tall. It was a blast to experience the 'hydro-shower'. This waterfall would be the last of four that we would Rappel down days later as part of that adventure tour.

After the exhilarating hike back up (it is uphill and is a good workout) we head back to the dining room for dinner. Lodging at El Remanso includes 3 meals a day. And the food is good, no I mean really good! Breakfast is plentiful with several choices each morning - you can also select and combine simple dishes like eggs, hash browns and toast. The fruit pancakes (I chose Pineapple) come not with the wimpy tiny cubes of fruit I've experienced before but with big, juicy pieces throughout. The fresh juice each morning was amazing. I recommend trying the traditional Costa Rican breakfast with the Gallo Pinto, Tico Hash Browns, Plantains and toast.

At the end of breakfast you are brought the lunch and dinner menus to select your choices for that day. Lunches were equally delicious - with multiple choices each day. I believe my favorite was the Burrito with tender, tasty beef with just the right compliment of additions topped off with a savory sauce. I had that more than one day! The food is plenty but not so much you have to stuff yourself or leave food to waste. But save room for desert - lunch and dinner both conclude with desert. From juicy pineapple sliced to a fresh fruit compote to cheesecake to (my favorite) Tres Leche Cake.

And the dinners - dinner was a palette pleaser each night. My favorite had to be the Beef in the Red Wine Reduction Sauce. I love my sauces and the cooks at El Remanso earn an A+. Each dinner you had the choice of two entrees - Pork, Fish, Beef, Chicken and vegetarian (in fact I understand you could have vegetarian or other special dietary consideration each meal). And yes, as I mentioned before - save room for desert.
The bar provides a choice of standard beverages along with several special cocktails. The Pina Colada is very good but my wife loved the Coco Loco. I enjoyed a delicious Mojito (with freshly crushed mint) on the deck of the pool one afternoon. My son enjoyed non-alcoholic versions of the Pina Colada and Coco Loco. The bar also serves fresh fruit smoothies and shakes.

Activities at El Remanso enhance your experience in the Rain Forest - we chose the Adventure Package (their website features several packages with activities, etc). We did the Long Hike, Bird Watching Tour, Night HIke, Canopy Tour (1 Zip Line & Rapelling Down), Waterfall Rappelling, and Kayak in Mangroves. We enjoyed each activity but would have to say our favorite was the Waterfall Rappelling - a very safe but adventurous experiences where you and your party rappel down four creek-waterfalls on the property. The guides were thorough in their instruction and never felt unsafe.

The long hike with El Remanso guide Gerrardo was also great - he is such a great guide, knowledgeable but with a great personality that is passionate about nature and very good about communicating and teaching. We saw sloth, monkeys, leaf-cutter ants and spiders - learned about the Garlic Tree and Alligator trees and the amazing evidence of the Walking Palm.

The adventures, the lodgings, the food, the beautiful jungle all make this place special - and the icing on the cake is the people. We so enjoyed interactions with every staff member (from the gardener who showed us that Hummingbird nest one day) to the dining hall staff, to housekeeping and the managers - El Remanso really helped to make our visit a special one.

You can tell I am more than satisfied with our stay at El Remanso Lodge. If you, your partner or family enjoy adventure - but wish to experience it in comfort, with great meals; this place will not disappoint. We will remember this trip for years to come - and are already thinking about when we might return.

P.S. We are thrilled to experience such a wonderful lodge but equally pleased that El Remanso continues to earn the highest marks for their sustainability. So we can enjoy a visit to the Rainforest while causing minimal impact to these wonderful animals and plants. That is important to our family!

Room tip: If you're up for maximum jungle living - definitely stay in La Vainilla. If you'd prefer screened living, select one of the bungalows. Larger families would enjoy the 2 story Casa Osa (with separated rooms) and those who desire or need to be closer to dining room would enjoy the rooms in Casa Poniente. And Honeymooners take note of La Guinda with a single large bed and a large tub.
Date of stay: July 2014