“One Of Our Best Vacations Ever!”
Review of El Remanso Lodge

El Remanso Lodge
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 March 2009

We have just returned from one of the best vacations of our lives! We spent 8 nights at El Remanso Lodge, Osa Penninsula in Costa Rica. Our stay lived up to our highest expectations. The birding was superb and we saw many of Costa Rica's beautiful birds in their natural habitat. The most enjoyable activity for us was to take the Zip Line into the thick canopy of huge trees. While enjoying our breakfast in this incredibly beautiful spot, we were teated to a visit by a family of Howler monkeys. There again, we saw many varieties of birds.

The expert staff is most happy to supply visitors with whatever one would need to make the visit just right. The naturalist guide is an expert on all wild life and made the guided tours a great pleasure. There is something at El Remanso for everyone: hiker, birder, surfer,or beach comber. The food is just excellent. We must also mention that there are hammocks and pool side chairs for those who need to relax after a day of enjoying nature.

We give El Remanso our highest rating possible!

1  Thank billchar52

Reviewed 17 March 2009

My wife and I spent a glorious week at the El Remanso lodge on the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. The experience from start to finish was exceptional.
We began with a flight from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez on Naturair. The flight provided beautiful views of the Costa Rican countryside and the Pacific Ocean.
The El Remanso staff greeted us with a wonderful smile at the runway in Puerto Jimenez. The warm welcome foreshadowed the amazing service we received from the friendly and helpful staff during our entire stay. Gerardo, our naturalist, was very pleasant, knowledgeable, and engaging. My wife received a great massage and the dining/bar staff were just outstanding. When we left for home we felt like we were leaving friends behind.
Adriana and Daniel manage the lodge. They both made us feel more than welcome and offered helpful and straightforward advice on all our activities.
Because of availability we stayed in a standard cabin as well as both deluxe cabins. We started in the standard cabin and were quite pleased. The deluxe cabins were simply fantastic.
I could go on and on. Simply put, the staff, setting, wildlife, and surroundings are second to none.
If you can visit El Remanso, do it. I know we play on returning as soon as possible.

Reviewed 16 March 2009

My wife & I have just returned from a week in Costa Rica. The 5 days that we spent at the El Remanso were magical. El Remanso is a serene and beautiful spot in the middle of the rain forest – simple but elegant rooms, friendly helpful staff, great food, and as many or as few activities as you would want.

Although the trip to the Osa Peninsula is not the easiest, with the right attitude getting there can be just the beginning of a fun adventure.

For us the El Remanso was perfect but we have decided that of our friends at home there are two groups: ones that would love El Remanso and those that would be looking for a different kind of vacation experience.

El Remanso would not be right for those of our friends whose dream vacation includes early tee times on the golf course, shopping during the day, or a late and successful nights at the casino. El Remanso is not for those who might be daunted by a steep half-mile climb from the beach to the lodge or who would feel deprived by a lack of AC or TV in their room. But for those of our friends who would enjoy the exercise of a hike up the hill or through the jungle, who would appreciate waking up each morning to the sounds of howler monkeys and birds in the Rainforest, watching Macaws and Toucans sitting in the trees by the pool or exploring the and lagoons and tide pools on miles of empty tropical Pacific beaches I enthusiastically recommend the El Remanso.

El Remanso may not be for everyone but for us it was GREAT!!! Loved every minute of our stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GhF_9
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Sometimes we like to keep something very special to ourselves. However, El Remanso is a gem of Costa Rica and needs to be shared with others. I doubt it will succumb to overexposure but remain true to its purpose. After spending the first four days of our trip in the Central Plains driving, rafting, and zip lining, we couldn't wait to visit the Osa Peninsula and our much anticipated stay at El Remanso. We were not disappointed! The eco-lodge, staff, grounds, rain forest, and surroundings exceeded our expectations.

It is a 50-minute flight from San Jose to Port Jimenez, and a 45-minute drive on a dirt road in a 4 X 4 to El Remanso-an adventure we looked forward to in our search of a rain forest experience and remote tranquility. There is no need to visit Corcovado National Park on a day tour since the lodge offers the same wildlife experience 24 hours a day . It is located on a 100 plus acre private reserve with many trails, waterfalls, and secluded Pacific beach. Monkeys, Scarlet Macaws, Toucans, and numerous species of birds can be seen and heard from your porch, hammock, or the dining room. We were not looking for a large commercial resort and found the perfect, friendly, attentive, and intimate experience here. The lodge only accommodates 20 some guests, so you are not just a number and receive very personal attention. The managers Daniel and Adriana are very visible and accommodating.

The dining room is open air with a bar and comfortable seating areas offering a place to meet with other guests or just relax. The food and service was great-what a pleasant, hardworking staff.

We stayed in a Deluxe Suite (El Rayo Verde) which was very spacious, clean, comfortable and private. It is very much open air-allowing for the sights and sounds of the rain forest at all times. Huge bathroom with tub and open shower (plenty of hot water). The windows and doors have no glass or screens, but curtains and wooden shutters. No phones, TV, air-conditioning (not really needed), and lights out after 8:00 PM are all part of the experience and were never missed. Candlelight offered ambiance. It is early to bed and early to rise anyway with the Howler monkeys and other wildlife. We slept very well considering all our outdoor activities. Another pleasant surprise was the total absence of biting flying insects-day or night. Granted, our visit was in the dry season, but we never used repellent or saw a mosquito or sand fly.

Having never been to a rain forest before, we decided to take a guided hike our first day with the Naturalist Gerardo and would highly suggest this to anyone who truly wants to get the most out of your visit. He is extremely knowledgeable, interesting, passionate, accommodating, fun, and has eyes like a hawk! This helped us observe wildlife so much better on our own hikes. The property also has 4 waterfalls and we did the waterfall rappelling with Gerardo. I was a bit apprehensive, but again he was skillful, safety conscious, and very patient. This activity was definitely a highlight for us.

I would highly recommend El Remanso for a unique, comfortable, and enjoyable Costa Rican rain forest experience. They have it all!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2009

This place is amazing! We just stumbled across it after a 4 hour taxi ride from Sierpe. We were in luck that they had room. This is the nicest of the 5 places we stayed between Drake bay and this side of the peninsula. We had the best time woundering around the primary rain forest. The wild life here is easier to see than in the National forest. It's much more quiet with less of a crowd. The beach is amazing, althogh not the best to for swiming. The pool however made that seem like a null point. Of the 3 diff rooms we stayed in the first and third were the best. Get one with a vew it's worth the extra coin. The atmosphere was just undescribable. The staff was great and always had a smile. This place is very elegent, yet still made you feel like you were in the wilderness. A must if you enjoy day hikes. There are 5 different waterfalls to walk to on the grounds. I can't say enough about how much we liked this place. I have been telling all my friends that this is one of the best places to go on the Osa...

Reviewed 12 March 2009

We'd travelled all over Costa Rica yet, a beautifull country with an amazing landscape. Still we were looking for a place to throw the rest of our rushy lifestyle away.
At El Remanso we finally found the peace and tranquility we were looking for. And besides that, stunning nature, animals, birds, deserted beaches, lagoons, waterfalls and excellent food.
The lodges were all very specially decorated and situated in the middle of primary forest . Did I mention that there are NO MOSQUITO' S!? There are hiking trails that take your breath away, to walk by yourself or with a professional guide. Adriana and Daniel are a young couple who manage the place with respect. The staff and crew are very kind and helpfull.
We had the best time there and hopefully we will be able to return there once more.
Ricardo and Erica, Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Reviewed 10 March 2009

It seems redundant to write another 5 star review for El Remanso, so I’m going to focus on the not so obviously amazing things about El Remanso. I believe that as a traveler you really need to understand where you are going so that you can make good choices for successful trips and expect what you get. When traveling to Costa Rica and the Osa Peninsula it must be understood that this is a mostly undeveloped country full of biodiversity. Specifically, the Osa is the rain forest which literally means a wet ecosystem and it is a privilege to spend time in this rare environment. To get to this remote place it requires some extra travel on both a small plane and in a 4-wheel drive vehicle on unpaved roads - but to me this is part of the adventure. If you don't want to forge rivers in a Land Rover and drive 45 minutes to a remote rainforest location then you shouldn’t go. I loved that El Remanso had everything I needed to spend my precious 4 days on the property without leaving - I didn't want to travel back on the road to the town of Puerto Jimenez for anything. El Remanso's property was large enough to provide the opportunity to go on a different hike everyday to waterfalls and through river walks and to beach tide pools and lagoons. There is so much wildlife and adventure on the property that it felt unnecessary to make a trip to the national park, Corcovado. Included with the cost of the room are three well portioned, gourmet crafted meals per day with two choices for lunches and dinners and a full menu for breakfast. They will also make great pack lunches for your day trips. They offer numerous professionally guided activities that are reasonably priced. They provide clean, well appointed accommodations and service with a smile. This is not the Four Seasons - this is a chance to stay at an upscale eco-lodge run by a family (who are Not Americans - which in my opinion is good because I don’t like traveling to experience different cultures only to find myself surrounded by Americans) with professional people who make it their priority to accommodate the curious travelers in harmony with the delicate environment.

This was our first stop on a two week Costa Rica and Panama vacation and it was a hard act to follow. Even though the other places where we stayed were of the same caliber, it was the people that made El Remanso so outstanding. When we arrived, Daniel, (one of the owners with his wife Adriana) greeted us with a big smile as we got out of the car – he was so welcoming and escorted us through the property to our cabin and talked with us for a long time answering all of our questions. I later saw a wonderful in-room binder telling all about the property and answering every question we had talked to Daniel about, but he was nice enough to take the time to orient us and answer the “same-old” questions that I realize now everyone asks! Gerardo, the nature guide, (who also must get asked these “same-old” questions) was only concerned with making our hikes memorable and safe and trying to help us find birds and animals to view. This is a great place to get acclimated to the Osa and to be introduced to the environment. I found it invaluable that on our first day Gerardo educated us about the rain forest – how to be cautious and how to look for things I would never have been able to see without this knowledge. This was priceless. Laura, the massage therapist was so nurturing - I get a lot of massage and know talent when I feel it! Elyer and the rest of the staff that runs the dining room is always there to serve with a smile. There was never a feeling that anyone was just doing their jobs, it truly seemed that they loved being there as much as the guests. Who wouldn’t! The main reason I chose El Remanso over the other lodges in this part of the Osa was because I knew I wanted this level accommodation in an eco-lodge but not with a lot of people. I think their maximum capacity is 24 people which is enough to be able to make some friends without feeling like all of the Osa travelers are staying their too. Let’s hope it stays this way.

The experience of staying in “La Vainilla” - El Remanso’s open air 2-story cabin - was one we will never forget. The cabin is very secluded and more beautiful than we imagined. The downstairs has a closed-in room with a bed, shower, bathroom and its own private patio and view of the forest canopy and distant ocean. However, we chose to sleep in the upstairs room of La Vainilla where there are no walls, or doors, just an open air deck surrounding your living area, mosquito netted bed and half-walled “shower-with-a-view”. This kept us very much in touch with the nature around us and it was pure luxury camping in the rain forest. It was luxury because of the beautifully appointed bed; bathroom with an amazing shower which looked out to the ocean and had tons of hot water; and a living area with table and chairs and a hammock for lounging. It was camping because it was completely open to the forest. Getting in the mosquito netted bed at night felt like being into a tent - you felt protected from the elements, but still right out there with the surroundings. It feels like camping because you can hear the ocean crashing below in the distance, you can hear the animals calling and going about there business, you are living amongst the unusual bugs - like giant blue lightning bugs! And you can't help but be conscience of the environment - conserving the use of water and light, using flashlights and candles after dark. In La Vainilla you are right in the midst of it all....from the room we observed Parrots and Toucans and a family of White Faced Monkeys who interacted with us from the trees. Perhaps the most memorable wildlife viewing was during our private couple’s massage we were having from “magic-hands Laura” (not to be skipped). Being accommodating as usual, they brought the massage table to our cabin and we had massages on our deck, during which we saw 5 spider monkeys swing right by in the trees! It was these “little” things that impressed me at El Remanso – everyone tried to make sure that our experience was not only comfortable, but memorable. They also graciously accommodated us on our last day as we wanted to spend a half day at the lodge after checking out but before going on to our next destination. We were able to hang out by the pool and even have lunch - which I thought was generous.

I truly can’t say anything bad about El Remanso. It’s not all perfect: you have to get used to the rain forest surroundings and all the wildlife noises and animals and bugs that come with it. Although it can be exceptionally hot during the mid afternoon, the humidity was not as bad as we found it to be at the next place we traveled to - a beach-side resort in Puerto Jimenez where the ocean mist constantly made all our clothes and even the bedding damp and nothing ever dried. El Remanso’s cabins sit on the cliffs high above the ocean where the mist has evaporated - so it’s hard to judge until you have something else to compare it to. The hike down to the beach is fine, but back up requires extreme effort – which in the end we decided was great for us lazy bums. And the lounging comfort of the sofa and hammocks in the room could be debated, but we spent our time when in our room lying around naked on the bed where vacations are meant to be spent when not doing other activities!

If you’ve ever been blessed to go to summer sleep-over camp then you’ll be ecstatic to know that you can go back again as an adult - At El Remanso! Coming into the beautiful open-air deck dining room in the mornings reminded me of camp - the way that we would all congregate and the activities directors were there to help you decide what you would like to do for the day. With all the wonderful activity choices don’t forget the pool – we were so busy running around trying to experience the forest treks and the beach hikes that their amazing fresh water pool seems to get overlooked. This is a great place to just “be”. Sometimes you feel like you need a vacation from a vacation, and that is what this experience was like for us. We were very busy with exploring these exciting foreign surroundings (and I wouldn’t change that for anything) but my advise in looking back would be - try not to forget to slow down every once in a while. Enjoy your books that you bring and don’t read. Get the massage – or two! Lounge by the pool. These times when you are still are usually the time you can appreciate the surroundings and see the wildlife – and breathe away the stresses that you carry with you. …Go…

2  Thank flavorQ