“Awesome, incredible. Best ever we have visisted.”
Review of El Remanso Lodge

El Remanso Lodge
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 July 2009

El Remanso exceeds the finest most luxurious resorts we've stayed out. El Remanso is so very special and wonderful. The food was incredibly good. The staff first-rate. Virgin rain forest right on the beach/ocean- wow!

Plenty to see and do. Its amazing what Captain Joel started and his daughter and son-in-law are now continuing the excellent atmosphere, quality staff, and purity of this lodge.

We will be back.
Mark & Eileen Smith

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SailingCaptain

Reviewed 30 June 2009

I wrote about this part of our trip in depth here and have lots of pictures - http://t3ch99.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/nature-paradise-in-the-osa-peninsula/ - but I will point out a few things...

This was our favorite part of our 10-day trip even though we stayed in what should be considered "nicer" hotels. This one was better though! Beautiful setting, beautiful flowers, spectacular lodge. Even though this one was slightly more rustic, with fewer creature comforts, it just had a magical quality to it that is unmatched.

What we REALLY liked is that it was so remote, deep in the rainforest and that there were animals all around us available for viewing without even hiking, just from the pool or lodge. But, there's plenty MORE to see on the hikes, so don't miss that.

The other thing we LOVED about El Remanso was the staff. EVERY single one of them couldn't have been any nicer! Also, an important distinction is that they are very personal and friendly. We have stayed at places where the staff treats you like royalty and are sort of removed and that bothers me. I don't want a servant, just good service. Here, you get genuinely friendly people that provide great service in a relaxed, casual atmosphere. These are people that you can imagine yourself having a beer with at home. A big thank-you to Adriana, Daniel, Joel, Elyer, Maikol, Sharline and Gerardo! (And everyone else behind the scenes that we didn't meet.) ALSO, you get the feeling that they enjoy doing their jobs and they aren't just being nice to get a good tip.

Which brings me to another point, we stayed at another lodge in Costa Rica where on our final bill there were blanks for EVERY SINGLE staff person's name to leave tips. Somehow they made us feel obligated and it was awkward. Here, not at all, and so I appreciated that and made me want to leave a tip even more! The staff deserves it...it's just nice for it to be because I wanted to instead of feeling obligated. Please DO leave a tip though, they work hard!

Lodge Amenities
Here’s a rundown what’s what. Yes, there is electricity, but it’s used sparingly as they generate their own. Therefore, there’s no air conditioning. Who wants to hear air running when you can hear the sounds of the forest anyway? Also, no hairdryers. I’m a girly-girl, so I was worried about that one, but I got my hair permed with a light body wave before we left and adopted the “Pura Vida” attitude and it was all good. There is hot water, though ours sort of came and went. I just waited a few minutes and it would come back. And, the water tastes great, is safe and drinkable right from the tap.

I could go on and on, the food was the best we had in Costa Rica. 3 wonderful meals per day! They have 2 options for both lunch and dinner and they take your order in the morning. It was like being invited to your friend's house every day to eat. (A friend that's an amazing cook.) We even had a cheeseburger for lunch one day that was to die for. Everything they made was delicious! The chicken empanada was absolutely wonderful! And the chicken enchiladas too! Yum!

If you want to stay in the rainforest, this is an amazing, incredible place. However, make sure you know what staying in the rainforest might entail to make sure this is the kind of experience you want. For us, it was heaven, but I don't think my parents would have liked it. You have to be in reasonable shape to go to the beach and do other activities, accept the fact that you might have uninvited visitors in your room, and understand that there's limited electricity. If you're up for it, I promise you will have an amazing experience.

I just can't say enough good things about this place and desperately want to go back as soon as possible!

Pura Vida!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank parisbound
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Oh My what can I say that has not been said already. This is an eco lodge in the middle of the beautiful Costa Rican Rain Forest. Wild animals, the best scenery ever. Pay the extra and get one of their better rooms, not that the others suck but having screens on all the windows is a plus. We heard other vacationers complaining about having to keep their shutters closed at night because of little flyers. I can't find one little thing to complain about. The food was the best I have EVER had. Nice choices and excellently prepared. I asked the managment if they ever put out a cookbook to notify me. It was that good. Loved our nature guide Geraldo. Probably a good idea to plan paying for a guided hike the first full day you are here so you can get the lay of the land and what to watch out for but after that there are numerous trails to explore. The waterfall repel was worth every penny we paid. What an awesome experience. We even loved the drive from town and our driver was very informative, showing us all the sights and animals to see, stopping for us to take pictures. The beach was a deserted paradise, all ours. (although the hike back to our room was a [--]!) Can't wait for a return trip. Exactly what their web sites says.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank d1m1
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I have never been to a place so beautiful that is also managed by the kindest people. The managers, Adriana and Daniel, are friendly, relaxed and very easy going. They have made a beautiful place to visit. Their dedication to the environment is very noble. The fact that they produce, using hydroelectric power I believe, all the energy that they use still has me in awe. There is not one bad thing to say about El Remanso. Everything was amazing! Even the other guest staying there were fantastic. The staff, especially Michael and Elyer, were so friendly and helpful. Great to talk to. Our guide, Geraldo, was bubbling over with information on every topic in nature. Birds, monkeys, snakes, trees, you name it, he knows it. He was also the one who took us waterfall rappelling. I had never done anything like that but could not have felt more safe or secure. Our suite had the most fantastic view of ocean and forest. We didn't stay in the cabins but in the suites and they were perfect. They offered total privacy while allowing us to leave almost all the windows and the doors open. It was so lovely to be able to feel the breeze at night while sleeping. The grounds are also very pretty. The whole place is just so aesthetically pleasing. Also, the food is incredible!!! I truly enjoyed and savored every single meal. The meals were very diverse. You could go your entire stay without having the same thing twice. When you visit at El Remanso it is the best present you could be giving yourself. It is relaxing and very active at the same time. We did the kayaking and surfing, both are done outside of the lodge, and they were awesome. The place really offers very unique and interesting experiences. I have never been to another lodge in the Osa Peninsula and feel like there would be no reason. They simply can not compete. It really was one of the most blissful and peaceful trips of my life.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KAlFed
Reviewed 24 April 2009

This was by far the best experience and vacation I have ever had. The location could not have been more perfect. The Osa Penninsula is absolutely gorgeous and the hotel property is picturesque for an eco lodge. Beautifully maintained grounds with the perfect hint of grooming; not too much, not too little to maintain a friendly and inviting atmosphere for all the wildlife. I have never seen so many different wild animals in one place. We stayed in the Azul cabina and it was perfect. The rooms are roomy and private. While our safe was not working (batteries are on order) we had absolutely no problem with leaving anything in our room. There were the occasional bugs in the room, but that has nothing to do with cleanliness and everything to do with the fact you are literally in the middle of the rainforest. You are so far off the grid - its a wonderful feeling. Sure we had lizards, large grasshoppers and a few roaches inside, but again, its only because this is an open air room and you are in the heart of THEIR space. The staff is absolutely fabulous. Gerardo, Elyer, Charlene, Adriana, Daniel, Michael, etc - everyone was fabulous. They are all so very nice and kind and are willing to do anything for you. They are always smiling and making sure that you are enjoying your trip and asking how everything is going. We felt like we were friends with all of them in a matter of minutes. The food is fantastic; better than expected and better than what you normally eat. The chef is amazing and creates the perfect dishes, whether you are carnivorous or vegetarian. The desserts are delicious and are worth hiking it off the next day. A lesser known fact is that if you head to the bar around 6pm you can get appetizers served to you as well. This is very welcomed after sweating half your body weight off during your day hikes. We did the birdwatching, the ridge trail hike, and waterfall rapelling and had the time of our lives. Gerardo (as everyone has stated) was made to be a naturalist. This guy knows EVERYTHING you want to know. From fungus, to trees/palms, to wildlife - its truly amazing all of the knowledge he has. Definitely something to be envied. We will definitely go back, because while we were very active, there are still so many things to do on the Osa, and we simply ran out of time. The only point I would make before booking is to ask if there will be a large group there during the time you are planning on staying. While the staff managed the group of about 12 fairly well, it detracts somewhat from the experience of the quiet and peaceful eco lodge that you are most likely searching for. El Remanso is truly a unique experience - and one that we are very thankful and grateful to have.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Antiguansunset
Reviewed 19 April 2009

After one perfect week at El Remanso all I can think about is when I am going to go back. If you are looking for a Costa Rican rainforest vacation look no further. The grounds are a large private forest reserve allowing for opportunity to see wildlife like you never have before. Whether you are drinking afternoon coffee at the restaurant, or you decide to take a hike along one of the many trails provided you are almost guaranteed to see all sorts of rainforest animals, many of which only live in the Osa Peninsula.
The rooms were comfortable and well appointed. We stayed in La Vanilla, a 2 bedroom cabin near the trail to the beach. the openness of the cabin combined with the fact that it is set apart from the other rooms gave us the feeling that we were sleeping in the rainforest... very cool.
The quality of the staff was exceptional, and every effort was made to ensure that we were as comfortable as we could be. The owners were accessible and exceedingly accommodating. Special mention needs to go to Gerardo who handles all of the rainforest hikes, rappelling tours, and ziplining. His knowledge is amazing, and his passion for his work is infectious. If you book with El Remanso be sure to book a hike with Gerardo.....
Another high point was the food... Each meal was well prepared and the portions were perfectly sized (you may initially think the portions are a little large but after a day of hiking in the rainforest the extra bit is much appreciated) While not given too much special mention on the website, the food was a highlight for me, and I looked forward to each meal.
Simply put, I cannot say enough good things about El Remanso. This is a truly a hidden gem in Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula.....

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank jeeveseastboston
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We had a fabulous time at El Remanso. The couple who run it are cosmopolitan and lovely, and they did their best ensure that our stay would be relaxing, thrilling, and full of surprises. From a room open on one side to the Pacific, we heard monkeys howling at dawn and saw scarlet macaws flit across our view. The food was always inventive and appetizing. The naturalist guide, Gerardo, was passionate and knowledgeable, always on hand to point out some incredibly exotic species. The bed was comfortable, and the night vibrant with tropical breezes. Swimming at the hotel beach is not encouraged because of heavy riptides, but there is another, idyllic, beach nearby.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family