All reviewstide poolsla guindazip linehowler monkeysbird watchingcosta ricalong hikenight hikeclassic cabinthe pacific oceansan josefer de lancehiking trailsguided hikeplunge poolsights and soundsan adventure
Reviewed 13 November 2017

Spent almost 2 weeks travelling through Costa Rica, but this was definitively the highlight of the trip. Remotely located in the middle of the rainforest, the resort has a variety of rooms available. We had standard rooms, which were very nice and spacious, but lacked the view. First, it felt a bit strange that you cannot lock your room, but after a while this added to the ultimate rainforest experience. The staff is super-friendly and helpful. There are a number of trails, which one can do with or without a guide. We did both, but recommend a tour with Marlon, who was great and showed us a lot of things, which we otherwise wouldn't have seen. The restaurant is part of the package and the choices vary from day to day. The food was quite good. The pool has fantastic views over the rainforest and the nearby ocean. Overall, a fantastic experience!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2017

We stayed here for 5 nights at end of August. We had one of the new rooms with the plunge pool (which was ice cold). Wonderful room, indoor & outdoor shower, huge deck space with lounge chairs & umbrella, walk in closet, king size bed plus one twin size bed. We didn't see many animals from our balcony, but we seen lots of wildlife on the trails and around the property. The howler monkeys wake you every morning, it was awesome. They have lots of trails and hiking areas. The trail to the beach is a major hike back up but each time we did it we seen some type of monkeys on the way. The tide pools are nice. I loved the lagoon, very cool, deep, nice place to swim. The ocean of course is to rough for swimming but it is a beautiful view! You can also hike to waterfall from the beach not far and sit under the falls. Not many options/tours to leave the property for to expensive for transportation, but you really don't want to leave the property anyway. We took the bird tour, and long hike tour both with Marlon. He is truly amazing, he can find anything, and knows everything about wildlife, birds, plants. etc. He is a wonderful asset to the resort. Everyone we met employed there was extremely friendly, helpful, helping you to have a wonderful time. The owners were on site and interacted with the guest. Unfortunately we had a family emergency and needed to leave early, the Owner and staff done everything to help us get back and made things so much easier for us. We will never forget how great they all were when we needed the help. The food was awesome, at every meal, the restaurant staff amazing (Katilyn) was our favorite seemed like she was always there, of course we loved everyone. I cannot think of one single complaint about anything. If you are interested in wildlife, nature experience you cannot go wrong with this place. I hardly ever visit the exact same place twice (as there is entire world out there) but I am already thinking about going back next year.

Room Tip: each cabin is unique
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank CarribeanBound1
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

This was our final stop in CR and what an amazing place to end. I didn't want it to end ever. It's perfection. I chose it because of the wildlife and eco credentials and was not disappointed. We stayed in an upgraded room with a plunge pool, the bed was huge and so comfy, lots of storage and a huge suite. The balcony looked into the forest and had loungers and an outdoor shower, the squirrel monkeys and scarlet macaws roosted in 'our' trees at night. No glass in the windows to protect the wildlife meant that it was like sleeping in the forest. We stayed on a 5 night wildlife package, the activities were excellent. We felt very safe during our zip wire and the staff were well trained and wonderful. Marlon was a brilliant bird and wildlife guide, he was passionate and knowledgeable. He was excited that we were birders and went out of his way to find us some great species.
The restaurant and hotel staff were brilliant, friendly, happy and professional but most of all, warm. I loved practising my Spanish with Edgar and Albert, they were patient and fun. This was high class service without being pretentious. The dolphin watching trip blew my mind, just my husband and I on a small boat with the pilot and a pod of 200 spotted dolphins. I can't explain how amazing it was (I cried) when we got back the staff were really excited for us as the pilot had emailed them videos. We have a rule that we never return to a place because the world is a big place, but I'm trying to find a way around the rule.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robyn W
Reviewed 16 September 2017

I have been to Costa Rica 7 times, including a 4 month backpacking/volunteering trip, so I know what I like in the country, but I also have high expectations. The Osa Peninsula is my favorite area of the country and I was looking for a place that had it all. El Remanso delivered in every possible way, and then some.
First of all, the lodge itself--top notch. My room was fantastic. I didn't even spend the extra money for a private cabina, just a basic room, but I still had a king size bed, indoor and outdoor shower, beautiful bathroom and private terrace...just steps from the pool. I was very impressed with the room...very luxurious. The restaurant/lounge area was also outstanding. Surrounded by rainforest and incredible views. I loved getting up early in the morning and getting some coffee and just sitting underneath the trees listening to the early morning rainforest sounds. The food? Unbelievable. The best I've ever had in Costa Rica. Some highlights were the grilled tuna with wasabi sauce and pineapple, and the beef tenderloin.
I'm an avid adventurer in Costa Rica and I wanted a place with tons of trails and wildlife. Once again El Remanso went above and beyond my expectations. The lodge has several trails going into the rainforest and down to the beach. What I loved about the trails was the fact that you could take a short hike and be totally immersed in the rainforest, but then if you got tired you could be back at the lodge in minutes to jump in the pool. The highlights of the trails for me were the 2 large suspension bridges, and the 2 waterfalls right on the trails!! The suspension bridges were great for seeing wildlife in the morning, and I love waterfalls so having those was a HUGE bonus for me. The big one is right on the beach!
One of the main reasons I came was to get up close and personal with the Osa's famous wildlife. The experience was unforgettable. Scarlet macaws, toucans, and spider monkeys were everyday sightings. I also saw squirrel monkeys, howler monkeys (including one that jumped ON the suspension bridge with me!), white-faced monkeys, countless birds, snakes, tarantulas, red-eyed tree frogs, a kinkajou, and many others. My favorite encounter was getting very close to a large group of squirrel monkeys on one of the trails. I got some incredible wildlife pictures during the week and I will remember the experience forever.
The staff at the lodge were all extremely friendly and helpful. At night they would always ask how your day was and would help you plan the next day and offer suggestions, depending on what you wanted to do. One thing I especially appreciated with that the owner, Daniel, took the time to talk to me daily about my adventures. Daniel is a great guy and I loved how he was very involved in making sure guests were enjoying themselves.
The lodge has tons of activities and tours to do- from day hikes, bird watching, waterfall repelling, and a night hike. I only did the night hike but it was awesome. Marlen was an amazing guide with tons of knowledge. Make sure to book with him if you do a hiking tour.
I really can't say enough good things about El Remanso. If you are looking for a top-notch lodge in the Osa peninsula, with beautiful and luxurious accommodations, tons of wildlife, hiking, waterfalls, a pool, great staff, great food, and being immersed in nature....this is the place!! I love El Remanso and I will absolutely be back!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
7  Thank Nick I
Reviewed 14 September 2017

This is one the places you have to visit when you are going to Corcovado NP.
The lodge looks fabulous. Friendly staff and excellent food.
As a nature photographer I have to say " Nature in and around the lodge is fantastic "

We had only one remark for this great place : You give your guest a better feeling when there is somebody at the park at night for emergency. We had 2 couples during the huge thunderstorm we had, who want to leave because they where really afraid. Flash hit a tree beside our house it was terrible. But nobody was there to help. Or where we could shelter. People from outside CR ar not used to it beware of that. Ofcourse we blame not your hotel for the Thunderstorm but looking for the guest during this terrible weather was a better option.

I will visited this place for 100% when I'm back in Costa Rica

Room Tip: All rooms are great but we had had de Luxury Rainforest Villa with Plunge Pool and that was excellent
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business