“Perfect hotel, wonderful location, superb staff - why go anywhere else in Costa Rica?”
Review of El Remanso Lodge

El Remanso Lodge
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 December 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at el Remanso for almost a week in December 2010. We wanted to relax, but also to hike in the rainforest, spend some time at the beach and see some animals. We had heard good things about el Remanso, but it exceeded our wildest expectations.

The rooms (stayed at el Rayo Verde) are magnificent (the bed was very big and super comfortable), really clean (loved the complimentary biodegradable soaps!) and have spectacular views. The staff is extremely nice (Dani and Adri, the managers, went above and beyond to make our stay memorable) and knowledgeable (the guides we had for our hikes were simply outstanding). The food is really good, as the ingredients are as fresh as they get. And the location of el Remanso is totally privileged: we bathed under cascades and in natural tide pools just near the sea, hiked for hours in the rainforest and saw a number of different birds, monkeys, frogs...

All in all, it was one of the most enjoyable stays of our lifes.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 December 2010

My husband and I spent one week at El Remanso as part of our 25th anniversary trip. We did a ton of research before deciding on El Remanso. I cannot do it justice in my review. It was perfection. Okay, honestly, I did not love the insanely bumpy ride from Puerto Jimenez to the lodge but what are you gonna do? They've had terrible rains and this is a remote location.

First of all, The Lodge: We stayed in the La Guinda Cabin and it was gorgeous. It was at the end of the property looking out at the ocean with nothing in front of you but trees below and ocean in front. Gorgeous sunsets. Lovely, huge tub to relax in after a day's hike. Beautiful.

The grounds cannot be described. You truly are in the middle of the jungle. The hikes are really wildlife hikes. On one hike we saw a pack of pecaries (sort of like little jungle pigs), and we also had an adventure with a caiman--okay, that I would have liked to skip but it gave us a great story and we got to share that little adventure with some new friends. We heard howler monkeys every morning to wake us up. The hike to the beach is steep...at least it was for me, especially coming back up. But the beach is lovely and worth the hike (plus then you don't worry about vacation calories!). There were days that we were the only ones there.

The staff. Oh, the staff. This is where El Remanso really shines. Everyone, and I do mean every single one, made us feel so special. The attention that we got from everyone made us feel like we were the only guests. And I am certain that every single guest had that same experience. Cindy is fabulous. She made everything feel so personal and she took care of every little detail. Gerardo was an amazing guide. He is so passionate about his work and it shows. We got some wonderful education along with a really exciting waterfall repelling adventure. That, by the way, is not a sissy ride. You are actually repelling down waterfalls. It is scary and thrilling. And I was so happy to see Tani (sorry if I am mangling the spelling) waiting at the bottom of each waterfall! The waiters were great. The service was so attentive.

We hiked pretty much every day. This was not a lay on the white sandy beach vacation (we did that the second week in Manuel Antonio), but it was exactly what we were hoping it would be and more. If you are looking for a 4 Seasons resort with a lot of nightlife, this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for quiet, and hiking, and a bit of "rustic" you should definitely consider El Remanso. You won't be sorry.

I recommend this hotel 100%.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2010

We have been in El Remanso for three nights end of November. It's right, it is difficult to come there but it is more then paid back by this excellent place! We enjoyed it a lot, in particular the tours with the guide who is the best one we have met during our Costa Rica tour.The food was delicious, the staff very hospitable and the bungolows very roomy. A great place to relax and unwind.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at El Remanso for a short vacation (Sun-Thur) during December. Let me just start out by saying that the overall experience was amazing. Rather than simply rave about the place, I think a review is worth a little more to prospective guests by giving specific details about the place.

Tours:
We went on 6 different guided tours during our stay. That was a LARGE number of tours given the short amount of time we stayed there. I can say in all honesty we were exhausted by the end of the stay and our muscles ached each day. That did not, however, diminish the enjoyment of the activities. Simply put, if you vacation for the purpose of experiencing new things- this is the place for you and go on lots of tours. If you vacation to simply relax-quite honestly this might not be the place for you. This is not a luxury hotel so dont think in those terms.

Night Hike: Our first tour- this was a guided tour of the rainforest at night. It consists of a guide walking you on a trail and looking for all kinds of insects, snakes, and other nocturnal wildlife species. As is the case with all other guided hikes at this lodge, the focus of the guides is really information about the area's ecosystem. Its not simply "look there's a frog". The guides are informative, energetic, and really quite interesting. In our case we didnt see any "glamor" species during this hike, but the guide kept us interested by pointing out several little creatures that you would almost certainly overlook if you would take it on your own.

Guided Ridge Trail Hike: The guide pointed out various wildlife species and focused a lot on area plant life. Just about every plant has an interesting story to tell and the guide did an excellent job of relaying those stories. Many animals were seen on this hike that took 4 hours (but felt like 30 minutes).

Waterfall Rapelling: This was just an incredible experience. Here you walk through the rainforest for about 30 minutes until you reach a series of 4 different waterfalls. Once you arrive, you rapell down a series of falls that become increasingly imposing and by the end of it your adrenaline is really pumping. I must say the guides make you feel so safe and secure that even if you have never done anything like it before and are nervous, those fears quickly subside.

Zipline/Canopy breakfast: This was a fun experience but be warned- it is NOT a typical Costa Rica zipline tour. If you are expecting several platforms to zip to, you will be disappointed. The focus here is observation, NOT the zipline. This is NOT a ride, it is a wildlife observation experience. There is only 1 platform that you zip to, and once you are there you spend over an hour observing wildlife. The guides are once again great at telling you what you are seeing and give you in-depth information on life at the canopy level.

Dolphin Watch: A fun tour that offers a little change of pace from rainforest activities. If there was one activity i could have passed on it would have been the dolphin watch, but that does not mean it was in any way a bad tour. We saw 2 different dolphin species, sea turtles, a manta ray, and had a really enjoyable time. The only drawback was we didnt do any snorkeling (which is a typical activity on this tour) since recent rains caused too much sediment making visibility in the water poor. The only reason I would perhaps pass on this tour given another chance was it was not the unique experience the other tours were. Perhaps this is simply because I live in Florida and have seen many of those same things before....maybe if I lived in Iowa and have never seen the ocean this would have been a more memorable tour.

Horseback riding: I was surprised to find that this was my favorite tour. You ride through the rainforest on horseback for part of it then ride along the beach during the other part. Each part of the trail has its own special beauty. I found this to be an extremely peaceful tour and absolutely beautiful when we were riding on the beach at sunset. There was also something thrilling about riding through the rainfoest at night...you didnt quite know what you might see around the next corner. The guide for this tour was not part of the lodge, but a local. He was quite good and even gathered some coconuts on the beach and served them to us in the middle of the trip.

Non-guided activities:
If you go, take a trip down to the tide pools. It is really beautiful and I think one of the more romantic activities you can do there. The lodge provides tide charts for you to ensure that you go at the proper time.
The accommodations:
We stayed in an ordinary cabin. It is not fancy, but this is not a 5-star hotel and doesnt claim to be. We found the cabin suitable for our needs, and quite honestly we didnt spend much time there except to sleep...there is simply too much to do to sit around in your room all day and night. I can say the room was comfortable enough. There were a few bugs, but if you think you can stay in a rainforest and have NO bugs in your room you are fooling yourself.

The Food: The food was fabulous. They serve three meals each day for you and every time its like you are at a good restaurant in a city, not in a lodge in the middle of a rainforest. The meals are excellently prepared and the portions are ridiculously large. I read a few complaints on tripadvisor about the food here and I must think that those people are nuts. The lodge exceeds expectations with every meal and I guarantee you will enjoy everything that you have.

The staff:
This is really the strength of El Remanso (aside from the awesome natural beauty of the place). Everyone goes out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. There are smiles on everyone's faces constantly and they bend over backwards to make you feel welcome. They staff even does the little things well. If you are sitting in the restaurant observing wildlife, they come and offer you snacks at no extra charge. Need a flashlight?Forgot to bring a waterbottle?Need waterproof boots? None of it is a problem, the staff is always there ready to help for no extra charge. They are also great at going out of their way to point out wildlife that you want to see. We mentioned how we were a little sad we didnt happen to see any sloths on our trip. Well, the next day a staff member chased us down saying that he found a sloth for us. It was a great sighting and just another example of the staff going out of their way for us.

Wildlife viewed in and around the lodge:
Three-toed sloth
Blue-crowned manakin
Bare-throated tiger-heron
Black-throated trogon
...and many others

Summary:
This was an amazing vacation and I would recommend this lodge to anyone who wants to visit the Osa and have and active vacation. I felt like overall it was a great value for my dollar and i didnt have a single complaint about any aspect of our trip.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank macdillbirdman
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Firstly, as you may have read it on many occasions, the Osa Peninsula is a place of an incomparable beauty, renowned worldwide for its diverse fauna and flora.
Apart from the beauty of this amazing place, what makes this hotel is better than the others, it is men and women who works there.
Everything is perfect, the staff deploys all his energy to welcom you, and they ensure that you feel good.
Nothing is left to chance.
Adriana and Daniel, the owners, have created a perfect cohesion within the team where the good communication between group members is evident.
You feel welcomed by a large family in which each member is a vehicle for information, both to serve you better, than to satisfy your curiosity.
The guide, Gerardo, is one of the best we’ve ever had.
He is really passionated about the natural environment of the place, and he communicates his passion to each person.
When i asked him a question, he never told me once « i don’t know », he always gives you specifics informations.
In the lodge, you can stop, and ask questions to the gardners, to the waiters (Elyer was so nice with us), to the car driver, everyone kindly takes time to answer to you.
Human qualities and enthusiasm of some employees really touched me.
A multitude of details relating to personalized service (the use of first names, for example) makes that you feel the subject of special attention.
Of all the places I've done, it is the one I prefer. If you love the nature, if you don’t need a five star hotel and air conditionning, Go there with confidence, i promise you that you’ll not be disappointed.
The only warning I would make is for people who have walking difficulty or people who quickly lose breath, if you are not in reasonably good physical condition, you shouldn't probably go there.
But you can obviously go to el Remanso with your whole family, kids will love this place,
It’s safe, and the staff takes care of you.
We are already planning to come back again with Pascal, my husband.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We felt at home in an inspiring natural setting with owners and staff who are exceptional in their care, skill, and respect for the land and animals. Our arrangements in advance by e-mail went smoothly with their help. Our three kids -- seventh and second-grader and kindergartner --reveled in the experience and it had a profoundly positive effect on them. They talk about it often. To be the only people in sight on a Pacific beach, hike with a wonderfully personable wildlife biologist/arborist/ropes expert, explore a tidal pool, have an early-morning bird watch, stand under an 80-foot waterfall -- all while living in quarters that are comfortable and respect the land, and with staff and meals that are delightful ... it was more than we could have hoped for. We kept hearing other guests who have clearly returned for a variety of compelling reasons. I don't tend to exaggerate. This was a sublime experience.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2010

We ventured to El Remanso Lodge with our two kids, 12 and 15 years of age, in July 2010 during the “rainy season”. The first leg of our flight was into San Jose, a mid-sized but perfectly functional airport in the center of the capital city. Due to the frequent afternoon thunderstorms, flights from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez, the nearest town to the resort, take off twice daily before noon, so we stayed the night in San Jose itself (don't even dream of driving from San Jose to the Lodge on your own if you're new to the country). It is fairly small but very friendly city – at least we didn't have any problems. We stayed at one of the hotels recommended by El Remanso, and it was a welcome introduction to the people and environment, replete with great views of the city and countryside, orb spiders, and the "Marilyn Monroe" bar and restaurant. The people were warm and eager to engage in conversation, and the vast majority speaks much better English than we did Spanish.
The following morning we set off for San Jose airport, to the Sansa terminal next door, one of two local airlines serving Puerto Jimenez. Be very explicit when directing staff and taxis, however, as it’s easy to confuse one commuter terminal with the other in a rush, and due to language differences – they are several miles apart. We eagerly boarded a 12-seat single-prop and set off right on time. The flight was great and only lasted an hour and a half, but there was plenty of scenery to take in during the flight including the multitude of rivers and villages the 7,000 feet or so below. We landed in torrential rain, but El Remanso staff were awaiting us on the ground with umbrellas, and they whisked us to the airport (an elaborate corrugated aluminum structure) and on to the El Remanso shuttle – a Land Rover Defender, for the trip to the lodge itself.
The ride to the Lodge was an experience in itself. Many thanks were due to the drivers, who expertly navigated the hour-long journey along the pock-marked and river-crossed road to El Remanso, chatting amidst the jostles while pointing out local wildlife along the way. What begins with a dash through Puerto Jimenez, the nearest town with a population of 5,000 and only opened to roads in 1986, continues along the potholes and rivers through the flatland replete with cattle farms, a billionaire’s personal project along the coast (local ecology in-mind, we were told), and on upward into the rainforest, to the lodge. If we felt on unfamiliar territory in Puerto Jimenez, the feeling was compounded tenfold as we approach the lodge – we plunged into the rainforest before long, finally arriving at El Remanso itself.
The lodge is comprised of several structures - a reception office, a large dining/entertainment/bar area jutting out over a forested crevice, a pool area filled with local rain/spring water, and a series of bungalows, many of them two-story to accommodate four or more, including our family. There is also a small massage hut, a separate viewing platform, a yoga hut, and Chonta, the resident rotweiller, who can appear a non-moving structure herself, at times. There are a number of paths connected to the lodge which are rife with plant and animal viewing opportunities, and a path down to the beach which is about a half-mile long. The path up from the beach can feel twice as long. All buildings on the property are attractive, built of local wood that resembles dark bamboo, and that are in places exposed to the elements aside from screens and fabric curtains.
Rooms are quite comfortable, including decks with hammocks and chairs. The property is on micro-hydro power, so there is electricity for very basic needs including charging small appliances, iPods, etc., but not much more. No television, no internet, or the like – however, if you wanted to come here you’d already be prepared for something truly unique. It doesn’t disappoint.
Once settled in we were oriented to our selection of activities (the more the better!), and select your lunch and dinner meals for the day (you’ll do this each morning). We were given a map and guidance with regard to local trails, dangers, and attractions, and left to our own devices. We did take advantage of this to explore some of the smaller trails, which was still exciting as we hiked around waterfalls and saw some wildlife not seen elsewhere during the trip.
Meals were wonderful all-round, and according to other guests we spoke with who had been elsewhere, have no match on the peninsula. Lunch and dinner was usually a choice between local dishes and more standard fare, where available. All of it was great, and the chefs were very accommodating to ad-hoc requests. There’s a focus on beans, rice, and fruits and vegetables local to the area, with proteins primarily consisting of chicken, pork, or beef from nearby farms. The wine list is robust enough to easily cater to most tastes, and the bar well-stocked. Breakfast is a thorough range of local and primarily American dishes – eggs, French toast, fruits, cereals, and so on. However the main attraction is the huge range of wildlife you’ll see in and around the restaurant – so always bring your camera. Our first afternoon there we saw three species of monkey wandering about, toucans, and scarlet macaws. That’s aside from the snakes, spiders, and lizards (iguana, geckos) hanging around the pool area at night.
Ironically, while nothing dangerous or dangerous-looking bothered us in the least – indeed most were happy with our close proximity and photography – a couple of things bear mention in the dining room. First, what appeared to be flies bothering our meals were actually stingless bees. Initially met by constant swatting, we soon took pity on them as, though they could occasionally bump into us, they most often ended up flying straight into the nearest liquid on the table and trapping themselves. We tended to rescue them, help them dry off, and sent them on their way – you’ll get used to them. Second, what appeared to be huge, nasty looking ants with iridescent gold abdomens were actually totally harmless. One can, if so inclined, pick them up and though they may protest, won’t actually sting or bite – again, we quickly considered them part of the meal experience, along with the geckos hunting along the rafters.
The activities we chose included dolphin-watching, the long hike, the night hike, and the zip-line. We also took the odd hike to the beach to see the tidal pools and “cayman” lagoon, and around the lodge.
The dolphin-watching involved a trip to Puerto Jimenez and onto a 25-foot fishing boat. We quickly saw bottlenose dolphins, and upon venturing out, spotted and came up close to the first humpback sighting of the season (confirmed via many radio conversations by our guide). We then went further down the bay to find some more playful spinner dolphins, which came within touching distance of us. Finally, our guide took us to a shallow bay so those so inclined could snorkel (hints covered below). It was a great time, with some spectacular wildlife sightings.
On the zip line and hiking tours, Gerardo, the resident biologist accompanied us throughout. He was an invaluable source of local enthusiasm and knowledge, and couldn’t wait to tell us “everything there is to know about….” And he pretty much did. We not only learned about parasitic plants, suicide trees, and some yet to be named, but interacted with a variety of other animals including leaf-cutter ants, several lizards and snakes, spiders, birds big and small, bats, and of course, monkeys (spider, squirrel, howler, capuchin).
On a few occasions we were able to quite closely observe monkeys in the trees above without being spotted ourselves for some time. When one group of howlers realized that we were maybe 60 feet below looking at them, they became a bit perturbed, flaying their limbs and seemingly taunting us with hoots and gestures. One of the males crossing directly above decided to take his angst out by urinating on us from overhead - thankfully the leaves above absorbed most of the insult. It seems the comments around the boards alluding to similar acts of anti-human expression are indeed true.
In any event, the outings truly made the whole experience, and are not to be missed. One of the most memorable moments occurred as we were coming back from the beach night hike. As we approached the first set of huts, Gerardo launched himself into a nearby bush and pulled out a retreating coral snake (highly venomous). The hook fell out of his snake stick but he deftly tired it out enough so that everyone was able to get some very close-up photos. He seemed to spot everything big and small, and truly did seem to know everything about everything! His tours were a particular highlight and very much recommended.
As for the practicalities, what follows is a list of “do’s and don’ts” that we learned along the way – follow or don’t at your own discretion:
- DO – bring light ankle-covering hiking shoes/boots. Hiking sandals are not enough protection for some activities.
- DO – pack light – around 25 lbs. in your checked luggage, as the local flights have weight limits and charge one dollar per pound over that. You won’t need much more anyway.
- DO – bring one flashlight per person. Small LEDs are fine, but one yellow-light (better spectrum) per family is ideal. These really help on the hikes where you need to scan up, down, and everywhere constantly.
- DO – bring insect repellant, but there are surprisingly few mosquitoes around – between four of us we had perhaps, four bites in total over the week.
- DO – welcome the geckos in your room! They chirp occasionally, but moths and other bugs will get into your room during the day and evening – the geckos appear to keep them in check, and we found ourselves wishing they’d perch themselves on our foreheads while we slept.
- DO – bring plenty of t-shirts and moisture-wicking clothes. Between activities, the sun, and the unpredictable rain, you may change once or twice a day, and clothes have a difficult time drying out, even overnight due to the humidity. The Lodge does have a cleaning service for $10, however, which we recommend using at least once.
- DO – take a handful of $5 bills (or the local equivalent) for tips – amazing how quickly these can go, but deservedly so. Beyond that and the odd souvenir, you won’t need money once at the Lodge.
- DON’T – worry obsessively over the food and water. Two of us had very mild GI complaints, but were not a hindrance - who knows what they could actually have been attributed to. Food was excellent day-in-day-out. The lodge was clean and well-kept.
- DON’T – pee while snorkeling in the bay. This "seemed" to attract jellyfish in the immediate vicinity and resulted in some stings (no, we didn’t try using it as pain relief afterward). Additionally, visibility in the water isn’t great – maybe a few feet – so if dark shapes (there are barracuda, sharks, etc.) in the water freak you out, give it a pass. It’s perfectly safe, however.
- DON’T – forget to take your camera – EVERYWHERE! Fair warning. If you ever thought you might want to pick up that zoom lens, now is the time – you won’t regret it. You'll get great shots of monkeys, in particular.
- DON’T – expect to wake up late (unless you’re a teen, in which case ours slept through the seemingly impossible). Most folks go to bed a couple hours after sunset, and awaken involuntarily to the “sounds” of howler monkeys at 5am. If it isn’t monkeys, it’s birds. Or something scratching outside. If nothing else, you’ll quickly find yourself forgetting the world you left behind – and that was something we were grateful for.
One last word about the staff at the Lodge, and all Costa Ricans we met along the way – they made the whole vacation a totally unforgettable and enjoyable experience. Everyone was extremely helpful and accommodating, and communication was not at all an issue. Everyone at El Remanso from the managers, reception staff, restaurant staff and chefs, cleaning staff, garden staff, Gerardo, the drivers – heck – each and every one, was so friendly; all of them seemed to carry a clear pride in this gorgeous country and its amazing natural diversity, and of course the Lodge itself.
In sum, between the people and the awe-inspiring array and proximity of the wildlife and activities, El Remanso created a truly unforgettable experience for all of us. Incredible.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family